Re: What are you writing tips to speed up the writing process?

Ariana Wrote:
Blank_Thought Wrote:
Ariana Wrote: I am a slow writer too. You know what helps me? Thoughts of readers with pitchforks if I don't finish the chapter in time! Works like a charm every time.

Can you explain further? What do you mean by pitchforks?

I mean metaphorical ones. You know, the sheer thought of grumpy and distraught readers waiting for their chapter, ready any moment to un-follow, it is just as scary as the village mob with pitchforks going to lynch you. Or to put it simpler, the thought of disappointing the people who have committed to reading my story is what keeps me going. I feel obliged to meet expectations. And the deadlines of my weekly release.

Oh! now I get it! I know the feeling, it's scary and stressful. I'm not a full-time writer, so it's going to be hard for me to commit to a fixed schedule. I hope I can manage.

Blank_Thought Wrote: Oh! now I get it! I know the feeling, it's scary and stressful. I'm not a full-time writer, so it's going to be hard for me to commit to a fixed schedule. I hope I can manage.

I am no full-time writer either. I am a biologist and work in a lab. But hey, the lack of social life has unexpectedly some positive sides. Like sitting down and writing through the weekend.

Blank_Thought Wrote: I hope I can manage.

I had a look at your fiction page. Forgive me if I am overstepping, but let me give you some advice.

1. Fix your blurb. It is too little to hook any reader. It gives no information on the story at all. Why should a reader check it? That's the main question the blurb (your novel description) should answer.

2. STOP posting your story so fast!!! Here is a little advice I have given to another author:
Quote:I understand that as a new author you are eager to share your work. But there is a knack to the Royal Road algorithm. Every time you upload a work it appears on the Recently updated page where most of the readers look for stories. The best way to use this in your works favor is to upload no more than one chapter per day. Like that, your work will be on the Recently updated page every day and not only once and it won't be too quickly overshadowed by other works.

Another important part is the consistency and length of the release. The longer and more consistent the release, the better the traction. That is why the optimal publishing schedule, according to most forum discussions, is 1 week daily chapter release and afterward 1-3 chapters per week depending on how large your backlog is. 

If you stop the gun-shot release, you wont have such a hard time adjusting your writing schedule. 

Ariana Wrote: 1. Fix your blurb. It is too little to hook any reader. It gives no information on the story at all. Why should a reader check it? That's the main question the blurb (your novel description) should answer.

I'm actually working on it, I don't like it either. I'm going to change it soon, I just want to make sure that I don't spoil anything. The core of my story is the nature of the curse in the title, it is what constitutes the main "hook". I need to be careful to not give much detail about it while presenting the story in an attractive way. Thank you for your concerns ^^

Ariana Wrote: 2. STOP posting your story so fast!!!

I'm familiar with this rule. I just posted 12 chapters because I was publishing on Tapas before coming here. But, from now on, it's gonna be a chapter per day!

Thanks again!

To be honest, I mainly start with brainstorming or some notes about main events and interactions between my characters.  Then, I just type it up and let my brain fill out the rest.  Usually, the first round is the messiest work, but since I already typed up what I needed to say, it gets easier as I go back and polish it.  

But everyone is different with various preferences and even in the way they may approach or view writing.  I have a few acquaintances, who are current students of a creative writing (Master degree) program, and one of their challenges is reaching that word count too because of their inner critic. 

It's already been mentioned several times, but text to speech is a godsend. I pretty much say the chapter out loud when I'm making breakfast or cooking, or doing something boring, and after deleting the 10 paragraphs where I explain to myself why a character is doing this or that, I've got the basis of a chapter out on paper.
I have to rewrite the whole thing from the top, because trying to edit the text to speech version takes longer, but its a perfect first draft.

I set aside time to write. 
It can be hard, because I also have to do my own editing and research. 
Shit can get ridiculous: 

>Okay, like seventeen or seventy tabs opened for research on hats and head coverings for 1600's europe
>hours go by as I page through various articles on clothing and different hats arranged by nation and century
>....yeah, 'bonnet' should be fine.

>don't actually write anything
>Look, a youtube video of some band I've never heard of doing a cover of a Pink Floyd song!
>TURN THAT SHIT UP TO 11
>...wait, i should have been writing
>greentexting on a forum
>ISHYGDDT

So I mean, your mileage may vary? But scheduling time to actually write is a good "first step" towards actually fuckin' writing. 

Blank_Thought Wrote:
Ramingo Wrote:
Blank_Thought Wrote: My usual writing speed is about 2000 words per 10h (None continuous).

That's slow?  peodead

Well, for example, If I had to write one chapter of 2000 words, it will take me 3 days! (3 hours each day). That's what I meant with 10 hours. So you should look at it as one chapter in 3 days.

See, for some people, that's still pretty quick. Take the 20 words a day thing....

compared to that, you're pretty decent.

Edit: Right, forgot. I'm not one to really butt in on this. I wrote over 300k words in less than 2 months, so take literally everything I say with a grain of salt.
Especially with factors like me being a new writer. Just started writing less than 3 months ago. oof. I also goofed off most of that time.
So if going slower helps quality, I do suggest quality over quantity.
But I'm extraordinarily new to literally all of this.
peoconfused

I think writing is particularly vulnerable to distractions compared to other tasks. The modern world has turned us into extreme multitaskers, which is a problem when it comes to writing as multitasking massively slows the process down or just makes it go nowhere or even ruins motivation. With a lot of tasks its possible to comfortably listen to a podcast or chat on voip while doing it, you can't really do that with writing, it needs a lot more focus.

The two things that have worked best for me so far are first the program Cold Turkey Blocker which I use to cut out distracting websites, and second is trying to focus on a nice steady output even if the writing is very rough as long as the stories bones are there its fine.

Most people can type at a decent speed, but even if you're not that fast of a typist, you can "write fast." Writing fast is about not getting stuck in your thinking process or your editing process. You just write, the words spill out, and you don't focus on editing. I would say I'm moderately fast at 800-1,400 words an hour. Being able to do this has to do with your thinking process when writing, and there's an excellent book on he topic by Dean Wesley Smith called Writing Into the Dark.

I highly suggest you read it. But I warn you, you'll be learning things that go against the popular knowledge of what writing really is, and I can tell you from knowledge of studying writers and their methods that he's absolutely one hundred percent correct. In short, it's about writing from the creative side of your brain rather than the critical side.