Re: What are you writing tips to speed up the writing process?

Although I hate to admit it, I am a slow writer :(

I've tried so many methods to speed up my writing, but I just can't keep focus! I love to write, and I want to do it at my own pace. But if you want to keep a good fandom of readers, you need to be feeding them content consistently. When I try to write faster, the quality of my writing decreases considerably. My usual writing speed is about 2000 words per 10h (None continuous).

I wonder if some other authors faced the same issue. I really need to overcome this. It may be my lack of writing experience (I've only been writing for 2 years now) or the fact that English isn't my first language. Whatever it is, I want to deal with it.

So are there any tips to write faster? 

Thank you.

This is one of those things where all you can do is keep doing it. Practice makes progress, and it takes time to train your hands and your mind in the right patterns.  As long as you keep at it, you'll get there.

One thing that has helped me when I was too slow or didn't have the time to physically write is to dictate the text to an audio recorder and then use voice-to-text to transcribe it. It'll usually have some errors that need to be corrected, but it's still a way to get words down.

1) Get a pen and paper and start writing. Just writing. Do not let the pen stop moving. This is an exercise in shutting down your "inner critic", getting unstuck, and just letting inspiration do its job; don't think about what you'll be writing next, don't think about what the next word will be, just see what comes out. If you're surprised by the word you just ended up writing, that's the sweet spot. Don't try to write anything good, you might get something good but that's not the point. In my case I think of this exercise as "successful" when what I'm writing starts to turn into fever dreams; I've gotten some pretty funny plot points and ideas out of it... in between random words or even words repeated 20 times in a row because I drew a blank.  

2) For actually writing something with a goal, get a timer. Give yourself 60-120 seconds to write a paragraph. Rinse and repeat. You can take breaks in between the paragraphs, but stick to them. I often end up with surprisingly crisp results from this because I really need to cut the unrelated nonsense and focus on the point. There's no time to get lost in describing some random landscape or whatever. 

TL;DR: Anyway, a lot of writers are slower than they could be because they tend to overthink stuff. I have this problem, I often end up just.... editing minor things for hours if I don't watch myself. These exercises are good for just writing, you can spend other times for practicing writing good prose and stuff like that, just don't neglect speed-writing. It's also a skill. 

Llamadragon Wrote: "inner critic"

OMG! That's exactly what I suffer from! I just realized that thanks to you. I keep overthinking and criticizing myself, as a result, I always end up being only 60% to 70% satisfied with the final work.
Llamadragon Wrote: In my case I think of this exercise as "successful"

I will surely try this out today!

Llamadragon Wrote: These exercises are good for just writing, you can spend other times for practicing writing good prose and stuff like that, just don't neglect speed-writing. It's also a skill.

I totally agree with you, speed-writing is an important skill, many writers underestimate this!

Thank you for your reply. It was really helpful!

Blank_Thought Wrote:
Llamadragon Wrote: "inner critic"

OMG! That's exactly what I suffer from! I just realized that thanks to you. I keep overthinking and criticizing myself, as a result, I always end up being only 60% to 70% satisfied with the final work.
Llamadragon Wrote: In my case I think of this exercise as "successful"

I will surely try this out today!

Llamadragon Wrote: These exercises are good for just writing, you can spend other times for practicing writing good prose and stuff like that, just don't neglect speed-writing. It's also a skill.

I totally agree with you, speed-writing is an important skill, many writers underestimate this!

Thank you for your reply. It was really helpful!

Happy to help. Good luck!

Blank_Thought Wrote: Although I hate to admit it, I am a slow writer :(

I've tried so many methods to speed up my writing, but I just can't keep focus! I love to write, and I want to do it at my own pace. But if you want to keep a good fandom of readers, you need to be feeding them content consistently. When I try to write faster, the quality of my writing decreases considerably. My usual writing speed is about 2000 words per 10h (None continuous).

I wonder if some other authors faced the same issue. I really need to overcome this. It may be my lack of writing experience (I've only been writing for 2 years now) or the fact that English isn't my first language. Whatever it is, I want to deal with it.

So are there any tips to write faster? 

Thank you.

there's really no speeding up the process. Everyone goes at their own pace, and whether you go fast or slow doesn't put you above or below other writers. "Practice does make perfect" will help with this, but don't force yourself out the gate, blazing. If you do, you might start to underappreciate writing in general, and there's nothing more awful than starting to hate the things you love because you turn them into a chore.

AliceBSullivan Wrote: If you do, you might start to underappreciate writing in general, and there's nothing more awful than starting to hate the things you love because you turn them into a chore.

You are absolutely right! And it did happen to me in a lot of things I used to enjoy.

But the thing is I want to write at my own pace, I really do, but I also want to be able to publish consistently! Right now, I can publish 2 chapters a week, which is not good enough. If I can double this number, It would be perfect!

Blank_Thought Wrote: I love to write, and I want to do it at my own pace. But if you want to keep a good fandom of readers, you need to be feeding them content consistently.

Consistent is whatever interval suits you. If you can only drop one chapter a week, but sustain it that shouldn't lose you readers. Don't feel consistent has to mean two or three posts (or more) a week. A backlog of chapters might also help.

The only method I have for speeding up the process is to get a text editor on your phone/tablet/mobile device, and if a scene/idea pops into your head, write it down in the next free 5 or 10 minutes you get. Totally bare bones but enough that you've got the basics. Then when you get to writing it up properly you've done half the work already, and your subconscious will have been mulling it over to make improvements without you really realising.

Cinn Wrote: The only method I have for speeding up the process is to get a text editor on your phone/tablet/mobile device, and if a scene/idea pops into your head, write it down in the next free 5 or 10 minutes you get. Totally bare bones but enough that you've got the basics. Then when you get to writing it up properly you've done half the work already, and your subconscious will have been mulling it over to make improvements without you really realising.

Love the idea! I'll keep it in mind ^^

I find cutting out distractions works. Like that's my big issue...write for awhile, then find myself surfing reddit or whatever. If you can write offline, that's a big help. 

Back in the old days of taking public transport, I got so much work done on those 30-45 minute bus trips writing on my mini-laptop that had no internet connection because of the bus. But now, when I write from home, it's harder to keep focused and away from the distractions. 

Localforeigner Wrote: I find cutting out distractions works. Like that's my big issue...write for awhile, then find myself surfing reddit or whatever. If you can write offline, that's a big help. 

Back in the old days of taking public transport, I got so much work done on those 30-45 minute bus trips writing on my mini-laptop that had no internet connection because of the bus. But now, when I write from home, it's harder to keep focused and away from the distractions.

I get distracted when I'm stuck on my writing, once that happens, it is hard to focus again!

Blank_Thought Wrote:
Ariana Wrote: I am a slow writer too. You know what helps me? Thoughts of readers with pitchforks if I don't finish the chapter in time! Works like a charm every time.

Can you explain further? What do you mean by pitchforks?

I mean metaphorical ones. You know, the sheer thought of grumpy and distraught readers waiting for their chapter, ready any moment to un-follow, it is just as scary as the village mob with pitchforks going to lynch you. Or to put it simpler, the thought of disappointing the people who have committed to reading my story is what keeps me going. I feel obliged to meet expectations. And the deadlines of my weekly release.