Re: Hello from another newbie

Hello and Welcome

I am a new user as well.  I think the new users should be going out of their way to help each other out with responding to their post and reading what they publish as well as writing comments.

If you would like me to read something you wrote, just respond to this post or message me.  I will try to read everyone that responds and comments and ask you to do the same for me.

wedgetail Wrote: That's what makes me nervous as well, but one day I'll be brave enough to give it a go :)

Don't be. It is a lot of fun, actually. Although what I'm writing is fantasy in a fantasy world, I have my world rooted in medieval European history and it has worked pretty well for me (well I usually look for smaller things like medieval penalties and medical practices). The closer to real history you go, the harder it becomes, of course, but if you start first with stories carrying smaller historical details and then go deeper with the next stories and then even deeper, then the transition would be easier. The more historical accuracies you want to retain and the closer to the real world you want it to be, the greater the "restrictions" and research input required are. If you like good historical fiction but on a "smaller" scale, try the Father Cadfael Mysteries - medieval crime novels. Another very good historical series is the Sano Ichiro books.  

Ariana Wrote: Don't be. It is a lot of fun, actually. Although what I'm writing is fantasy in a fantasy world, I have my world rooted in medieval European history and it has worked pretty well for me (well I usually look for smaller things like medieval penalties and medical practices). The closer to real history you go, the harder it becomes, of course, but if you start first with stories carrying smaller historical details and then go deeper with the next stories and then even deeper, then the transition would be easier. The more historical accuracies you want to retain and the closer to the real world you want it to be, the greater the "restrictions" and research input required are. If you like good historical fiction but on a "smaller" scale, try the Father Cadfael Mysteries - medieval crime novels. Another very good historical series is the Sano Ichiro books.

I suppose I'm starting to head in this direction already. I'm currently working on a project that's heavily inspired by early Nineteenth Century Russia, but with magic thrown in