Re: Review Reciprocation Game: Trying to generate many reviews for underexposed authors

Hello! So I noticed that a lot of underexposed authors struggle with getting eyes on their stories. And "Free Review" threads tend to become quickly swamped with many authors descending upon it. Review SWAPS seem to be more successful, but it can be a bit difficult to have accountability (People who get a review and then never reciprocate) or to hook readers up with stories of the type they want to read. So I decided to try to come up with a system to encourage reviews. 

Here's how it works: You will receive one point for every review you give out to someone in this thread. You will lose one point for every review you RECEIVE from this thread. So your total score will be (number of reviews given) - (number of reviews received). I'll edit this post regularly to keep track of the scoreboard, and people who enter this thread are encouraged to review the people who are currently up around the top of the scoreboard. 

Also, if you are a reader, not an author, you can still participate - just post in this thread to show that you've reviewed someone so it can be accounted for.

To give an example of what I mean, here's an example scoreboard:

EXAMPLE SCOREBOARD

1. Joe SuchandSuch, Reviews Given: 7, Reviews Received: 3, Total score: 4
Stories for Review: [Title, genre, Synopsis, links]

2. Sally Authorson, Reviews Given: 5, Reviews Received: 4, Total score: 1

3. Bobby Soandso, Reviews Given: 2, Reviews Received: 3, Total score: -1

My hope is that a system like this will encourage reciprocation and direct it towards the people who have been giving it out the most. When you make a review of someone on the scoreboard, just post to this thread so I can edit in changes to the scoreboard.

Now, it DOES still rely on the honor system: Please try to make your reviews substantial, and if you are found to have lied about giving someone here a review, you will be removed from the scoreboard entirely.

I have no idea if this will work; maybe it will prove too complex or too much of a pain, but I figured maybe it's worth trying to encourage review-hungry authors a way to reciprocate reviews, and allow readers to occasionally browse the scoreboard to do a review or two at a time without being swamped under dozens of requests. Also: If you have recommendations for a rule to add to the game to improve it, let me know!

So with all that said, I will post the rules, and start off the scoreboard by adding myself to it:

RULES
1. You receive one point for giving a review, and lose one point for receiving a review.
2. Authors: If you want to be added to the scoreboard, post here with the stories you want reviewed, the title, genre, link and synopsis for each.
3. If, either as an author or a reader, you review a story on the scoreboard, post in this thread to let us know.
4. If  you lie about having posted a review, you are banned from the scoreboard.
5. Honor system: Leave honest, substantial reviews. 
6. Honor system: Reviewers, please direct reviews towards people at the top of the scoreboard. You don't have to review the current leader every time, but try to give priority to those towards the top.

***CURRENT SCOREBOARD***

1. precinctomega, Reviews Given: 1, Reviews Received: 1, Score: 0

Stories for Review:
Soldier First 
Genre: Modern LitRPG
Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/38507/soldier-first
Synopsis: Andy "Butcher" Evans has killed two people.  His career is over and he's staring down a lengthy prison sentence.

But an enigmatic corporation needs someone just like Butcher to track down a missing employee and, in order to find him, Butcher undergoes an experimental procedure injecting him with nanotechnology that will heal, adapt and improve his body in ways he cannot yet understand.  Butcher's mission takes him into a dangerous conspiracy and an alien sub-culture.  And now his brain is telling him that he has "stats" and "skills".  He doesn't know what it all means, but Butcher knows how to find out.

2. CloverCloverClover, Reviews Given: 1, Reviews Received: 1, Score: 0

Stories for Review:
The Glimmerling 
Genre: Fantasy
Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39018/the-glimmerling
S
ynopsis: A young wizard journeys through a dark forest. He meets strange creatures, a witch, and together they journey to a village under a dark curse.

Re: Review Reciprocation Game: Trying to generate many reviews for underexposed authors

Nine Wrote: I like this concept. Feels a bit like Scribophile. I'll add a review tonight.

Sorry, got a little distracted :-)

Still, you'd have to add another rule, perhaps. I guess one could add any story for review, how would that work?

Let's say I review story 'x' by 'z', something I picked at random, then how would you handle that? It isn't a story that is already in your list... I guess you would add it as a reviewed story with a score of -1?

Nine Wrote:
Nine Wrote: I like this concept. Feels a bit like Scribophile. I'll add a review tonight.

Sorry, got a little distracted :-)

Still, you'd have to add another rule, perhaps. I guess one could add any story for review, how would that work?

Let's say I review story 'x' by 'z', something I picked at random, then how would you handle that? It isn't a story that is already in your list... I guess you would add it as a reviewed story with a score of -1?

My idea is that scores are pooled by AUTHORS, not by story. That way it allows authors to target stories they want reviewed.

Like say you are an author with five stories, but only two of them you really want reviews on. You'd go up on the scoreboard, along with all the info for the two stories you want reviews for. Then, if EITHER of your stories gets reviewed, you get a -1 to your total score. 

precinctomega, Reviews Given: 1, Reviews Received: 0, Score: 1

Stories for Review:
Soldier First 
Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/38507/soldier-first
Synopsis: Andy "Butcher" Evans has killed two people.  His career is over and he's staring down a lengthy prison sentence.

But an enigmatic corporation needs someone just like Butcher to track down a missing employee and, in order to find him, Butcher undergoes an experimental procedure injecting him with nanotechnology that will heal, adapt and improve his body in ways he cannot yet understand.  Butcher's mission takes him into a dangerous conspiracy and an alien sub-culture.  And now his brain is telling him that he has "stats" and "skills".  He doesn't know what it all means, but Butcher knows how to find out.

precinctomega Wrote: precinctomega, Reviews Given: 1, Reviews Received: 0, Score: 0

Stories for Review:
Soldier First 
Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/38507/soldier-first

You would actually have a score of 1! Thanks for the in-depth review by the way, I really appreciate it. I'll add you to the list in the first post and update my score. I have a few reviews on my plate already, but I'll do my best to reciprocate yours once I'm done (although I warn you I'm basically entirely in the dark as to what LitRPG is.) 

CloverCloverClover Wrote: You would actually have a score of 1! Thanks for the in-depth review by the way, I really appreciate it. I'll add you to the list in the first post and update my score. I have a few reviews on my plate already, but I'll do my best to reciprocate yours once I'm done (although I warn you I'm basically entirely in the dark as to what LitRPG is.)

Fixed.  And don't worry: the MC is entirely clueless about roleplay games and geek culture in general.  So not knowing anything about LitRPG is a good starting point for the story.

It's a slow burn, though.  Don't expect to be plunged into the action.

precinctomega Wrote:
CloverCloverClover Wrote: You would actually have a score of 1! Thanks for the in-depth review by the way, I really appreciate it. I'll add you to the list in the first post and update my score. I have a few reviews on my plate already, but I'll do my best to reciprocate yours once I'm done (although I warn you I'm basically entirely in the dark as to what LitRPG is.)

Fixed.  And don't worry: the MC is entirely clueless about roleplay games and geek culture in general.  So not knowing anything about LitRPG is a good starting point for the story.

It's a slow burn, though.  Don't expect to be plunged into the action.

Alright, review done, and scoreboard updated, which gives me an excuse to bump this post to see if anyone else wants to participate

Jack0fheart Wrote: I've reviewed both stories listed. There's no need to review my story back because I dislike having it devalued by the swap icon. I'd appreciate if you just left me an honest anonymous rating in return. My story is linked in my signature.

Keep up the good work!

Btw, if anyone wants their story promoted, I'm happy to give a shoutout in author's notes as long as the story is legible. Plus any authors who join my discord, I give them a personal channel to post updates. With my humble 300+ followers it ain't much, but it's honest work

Thanks for the review. I'll leave an anonymous one when I get the chance. 

Unfortunately looks like this idea never really took off, so I'm probably just going to start a normal review swap thread after this.