Re: Best and Worst Movie/TV Adaptations of Books/Comics/Etc, Go!

When I was younger, I’d always get excited when I’d hear movie adaptions were coming out for my favorite books. And then when I actually saw them in theater, I was like... D;. I feel like formatting books as TV shows ends up being much better than adapting them into movies in recent years though. Anyway, what are the best and worst movie/tv adaptations you’ve seen? 

I raise you for the worst: Artemis Fowl, Death Note (Netflix), The Giver, Ghost in the Shell, Eragon (D:)

And for the best: Schindler’s List, Fight Club (even if I don’t like the actual story too much), Twilight (fight me. It’s a comedic masterpiece even better than the books), A Series of Unfortunate Events (TV)

Ramingo Wrote: As for worst, if we were to count games, the Trails in the Sky anime adaptation would easily be the worst one. 
Not counting games, the Full Metal Alchemist live action and the Twin Star Exorcists anime would be the worst.

Oh yeah, I was going to mention the FMA live action adaptation, but that show in general has such a special place in my heart that I couldn’t bring myself to do it

That Artemis Fowl movie was an all-time travesty. I can't think of anything worse. Add Percy Jackson to the list.

Most recently I watched the first season of His Dark Materials. It isn't the worst thing I've ever seen but it does not offer adequate explanations about the world on screen. A good example is the opening scene where we first see two human characters and their daemons. The daemons are speaking in this scene but the camera doesn't focus on them at all and they are small so to anyone uninformed it just sounds like a disembodied voice until further notice. It's only later that you realize all the animals you see running around can speak. There's lots of little things like this and the only reason why I know what everything is supposed to mean is because I read the books. What makes somebody a Gyptian? Better read the book.

Honestly, I second Twilight for best. Those movies made the story a lot more fun than the books ever were. And that soundtrack was waaaay ahead of its time. The suprise fight sequence in Breaking Dawn would have been the best ending to that series if they hadn't wimped out and made it a vision. 

For worst it's got to be The Hobbit. No film franchise has ever made me so sad. I think adaptations like Eragon are arguably worse as movies, but The Hobbit sucks because it had so much potential. Martin Freeman was an amazing Bilbo and I loved the dwarves camraderie in the first film. They could've made such charming movies if they hadn't added all that junk.  

msng Wrote: Last Airbender. Not really adapted from books, but they do have some comics out.

Oh geeze, I completely forgot about this one too. It was directed by M Night Shyamalan though so xD. I loved Air Bender the show. So sad how the movie butchered it.

axdaae Wrote: For worst it's got to be The Hobbit

I heard good things about the first movie. I guess it went down hill from there lol

For worst I would say that the Seventh Son movie was god awful. The Dune movie is probably the biggest cringe-fest I might have ever laid my eyes on. Another worst would be The Dark Tower. I loved those books and that movie ruined my mood for like a week.

Game of Thrones might be one of the best show adaptations from books until you get to the part where they run out of books. 

PhineasGage Wrote: Game of Thrones might be one of the best show adaptations from books until you get to the part where they run out of books.

Pffft, I remember how badly the finale was received. 

Lime_Lover Wrote: Though, I heard they were going to do another live-action thing with the last Airbender, and that it's actually supposed to be pretty good.

I heard that the original writers of the cartoon tv series had been kinda excluded from the creative process of the live action so I’m not so sure Dx

readerbreather Wrote:
PhineasGage Wrote: Game of Thrones might be one of the best show adaptations from books until you get to the part where they run out of books.

Pffft, I remember how badly the finale was received. 

Lime_Lover Wrote: Though, I heard they were going to do another live-action thing with the last Airbender, and that it's actually supposed to be pretty good.

I heard that the original writers of the cartoon tv series had been kinda excluded from the creative process of the live action so I’m not so sure Dx

What the hell? Do they really want every live-action avatar movie to flop that badly? Why the heck did they think that would be a good idea?

peoconfused

Aye aye guys, may I give me not-so-professional opinion and venture forth to the table...
Ahhh b[CENSORED]r sounding like a poshy, lads. The Martian. Nailed the physics, like kerbal with real astronauts. Fairly sure I've done a mission like it on Kerbal if im honest.
Matt Damon once again being left somewhere he shouldn't be. Stick him on a leash, or count his name twice on the roster guys seriously!

Wicked visuals, brilliant story, gets me vote every time.
Also Sean bean. Nuff said. One does not simply leave a man on mars
-Taz