Re: What do you think about aliases ?

I think we'll start seeing a lot more of obvious internet pseudonyms soon. I'm part of the first generation to have internet access since I first started reading, and to me it's not odd to see a writer use an online pseudonym. It'd be quite natural to use it if I had an account with an audience, and I also wouldn't particularly want to mix up my real name (and my real life) with my online activity. Nobody who said something edgy when they were ten would want that used against themselves 20 years later, and creators who have been active for a long time have often kept their username (to keep their audience). 

This pseudonym is only my online name for RR. It has to do with a lot of things. The main one is announcing my love for a character in my story. Which sounds weird and slightly creepy, but it's hard to explain. I'll try.... Uhhh. The idea behind the creation of her as a character is to be someone that would stay by your side for eternity, all you need is her, all she needs is you. I think it's a beautiful form of love, if that makes sense. The actual character herself? Well, if I said that she wasn't my type that would be a lie, but she's the wife of the main character, so.....She's taken. Lucky bastard. At least he values her.(to the point he would destroy reality. I can't do that very easily, so he wins. Even if he couldn't, she likes him and not me, so I still lose.) Plus, there probably isn't anyone out there that would be a good fit for me anyway. It's better if I just watch. 
peocrying
Also, in my opinion, pseudonyms don't really matter. I tend to separate an author from their book, unless doing so is impossible. In such a case, I typically want to turn them into someone like Nermal. https://hero.fandom.com/wiki/Nermal <- this weirdo.
Why? I dunno, it just popped into my head, and I realized that that's what I want to do. My brain doesn't work normally.
Amnesia, comms, and nav can back me up on that.
peoconfused

Asviloka Wrote: I don't really pay attention to the name of the author until I've read something and decided 'yes I like this author' or 'no this is not the author for me'. If I've read something and didn't really care either way it tends not to get into my lexicon yet. I have a 'buy' list and an 'avoid' list but they have nothing to do with the name's nature and everything to do with the quality of the work that's been produced.

It's very sensible))

Lime_Lover Wrote: This pseudonym is only my online name for RR. It has to do with a lot of things. The main one is announcing my love for a character in my story. Which sounds weird and slightly creepy, but it's hard to explain. I'll try.... Uhhh. The idea behind the creation of her as a character is to be someone that would stay by your side for eternity, all you need is her, all she needs is you. I think it's a beautiful form of love, if that makes sense. The actual character herself? Well, if I said that she wasn't my type that would be a lie, but she's the wife of the main character, so.....She's taken. Lucky bastard. At least he values her.(to the point he would destroy reality. I can't do that very easily, so he wins. Even if he couldn't, she likes him and not me, so I still lose.) Plus, there probably isn't anyone out there that would be a good fit for me anyway. It's better if I just watch. 
peocrying
Also, in my opinion, pseudonyms don't really matter. I tend to separate an author from their book, unless doing so is impossible. In such a case, I typically want to turn them into someone like Nermal. https://hero.fandom.com/wiki/Nermal <- this weirdo.
Why? I dunno, it just popped into my head, and I realized that that's what I want to do. My brain doesn't work normally.
peoconfused

So, I suppose that the name of the main character in your RR story  is Lime ? ))

Llamadragon Wrote: I think we'll start seeing a lot more of obvious internet pseudonyms soon. I'm part of the first generation to have internet access since I first started reading, and to me it's not odd to see a writer use an online pseudonym. It'd be quite natural to use it if I had an account with an audience, and I also wouldn't particularly want to mix up my real name (and my real life) with my online activity. Nobody who said something edgy when they were ten would want that used against themselves 20 years later, and creators who have been active for a long time have often kept their username (to keep their audience).

It seems to me that people sometimes hide behind their aliases.
 It takes a certain amount of courage to use your real name))

Egar Wrote: I always people thought that people use pseudonyms at the beginning of their journey, just in case they don't out to be a big deal.
That way they don't have their name attached to some turd that 'may' or 'may not' ruin the rest of the ride through writing.
Later down the line after having a book published with a pseudonym, they could then justify being good enough to stake their real name on their work and call it a career.

To comment on the OP I don't mind reading anything if as it can keep my attention. 

I wouldn't even mind if it was written by 'D0nT [email protected] Me', so long as the blurb is intriguing enough, I'll give it ago.

You've voiced my thoughts))

I don't pay attention to the name a writer chooses to post with. Most of the Japanese LN writers I follow use fairly strange names (even on the published books). For instance I just read one by Broccoli Lion. I've been on the internet for over 20 years, so I've seen it all.

On the other hand, I always pay attention to covers. I'm an artist more than a writer, so that's natural. However, the number one thing that decides whether I try a story or not is the tags and the synopsis. I usually don't even notice the authors name unless I like the story. It just isn't relevant to me. Content is king.

Oh, for the record, Half Life is the name of my self publishing company.

I use three different pseudonyms because i don't want to mix my works. I use one when writing fantasy— That's my hobbie. I use another when writing... Uh... Very spicy stuff that actually pays me. And the third one i use for my youtube channel and taking certain writing comissions. There would be no need to do so if people didn't judge you based on your other works, but alas... They do.

TheHex Wrote: I use three different pseudonyms because i don't want to mix my works. I use one when writing fantasy— That's my hobbie. I use another when writing... Uh... Very spicy stuff that actually pays me. And the third one i use for my youtube channel and taking certain writing comissions. There would be no need to do so if people didn't judge you based on your other works, but alas... They do.

Are these pseudonyms  meaningful or are they just different?

Half Wrote: I don't pay attention to the name a writer chooses to post with. Most of the Japanese LN writers I follow use fairly strange names (even on the published books). For instance I just read one by Broccoli Lion. I've been on the internet for over 20 years, so I've seen it all.

On the other hand, I always pay attention to covers. I'm an artist more than a writer, so that's natural. However, the number one thing that decides whether I try a story or not is the tags and the synopsis. I usually don't even notice the authors name unless I like the story. It just isn't relevant to me. Content is king.

Oh, for the record, Half Life is the name of my self publishing company.

"Content is king!" I like this idea. It sounds like a motto ))) and I like the pseudonym "Broccoli Lion" !

Silvia Wrote:
TheHex Wrote: I use three different pseudonyms because i don't want to mix my works. I use one when writing fantasy— That's my hobbie. I use another when writing... Uh... Very spicy stuff that actually pays me. And the third one i use for my youtube channel and taking certain writing comissions. There would be no need to do so if people didn't judge you based on your other works, but alas... They do.

Are these pseudonyms  meaningful or are they just different?

Just different. To preserve my identity while online.

Silvia Wrote:
Llamadragon Wrote: I think we'll start seeing a lot more of obvious internet pseudonyms soon. I'm part of the first generation to have internet access since I first started reading, and to me it's not odd to see a writer use an online pseudonym. It'd be quite natural to use it if I had an account with an audience, and I also wouldn't particularly want to mix up my real name (and my real life) with my online activity. Nobody who said something edgy when they were ten would want that used against themselves 20 years later, and creators who have been active for a long time have often kept their username (to keep their audience).

It seems to me that people sometimes hide behind their aliases.
 It takes a certain amount of courage to use your real name))

Or foolishness. 

This is the internet after all. You have no idea who is reading what you write, or what they think about it. Nor how long what you write will stay up, or who will disapprove of your current opinion in another 20 years. Someone writing about, say, LGBTQ rights might not have much to fear right now depending on where they live, but their country might very well go Poland in their lifetime. 

firstly there is no way I'd ever use my real name when i write. not because I'm scared of it but because a Pen name is a rare chance to give yourself another name.

who doesn't want another title? who doesn't want to express themselves through their own choice for a name.

but once you become a well known author that new title you chose becomes a brand, and anything it does affects that brand. so the expression becomes stale, and stiff. no one wants to read corny badly written romance from an author they once thought great. so how are you to express that hidden side of yourself that wants to write garbage? 

the answer is a new pen name!!!! and you get to start all over again. 

why did i chose "Scroll of heroes" even though my REAL Pen name is Something else. Because Power fantasy is not my brand, but it IS my heart. so it must be written.

oh how I love to read and write power fantasy!!!! to watch as the bad men suffer and the hero wins the day with little effort. to hear the cries of the evil and darkness as they rue the day they underestimated the all powerful hero!!! even when faced with powers far greater than his he can bluff perfectly and cause them to bow down, or pull a secret power from nowhere and gain the advantage in a fight.

Yes it is my passion!!! and also... maybe a little shameful... because it's sometimes a little dumb. but that's ok because sometime it's not dumb it's Really, Really Dumb!!! 

lol. but always enjoyable.

Silvia Wrote:
Lime_Lover Wrote: This pseudonym is only my online name for RR. It has to do with a lot of things. The main one is announcing my love for a character in my story. Which sounds weird and slightly creepy, but it's hard to explain. I'll try.... Uhhh. The idea behind the creation of her as a character is to be someone that would stay by your side for eternity, all you need is her, all she needs is you. I think it's a beautiful form of love, if that makes sense. The actual character herself? Well, if I said that she wasn't my type that would be a lie, but she's the wife of the main character, so.....She's taken. Lucky bastard. At least he values her.(to the point he would destroy reality. I can't do that very easily, so he wins. Even if he couldn't, she likes him and not me, so I still lose.) Plus, there probably isn't anyone out there that would be a good fit for me anyway. It's better if I just watch. 
peocrying
peoconfused

So, I suppose that the name of the main character in your RR story  is Lime ? ))

No, the wife of the main character is named lime.

She cute.
peolove

ScrollOfHeroes Wrote: firstly there is no way I'd ever use my real name when i write. not because I'm scared of it but because a Pen name is a rare chance to give yourself another name.

who doesn't want another title? who doesn't want to express themselves through their own choice for a name.

but once you become a well known author that new title you chose becomes a brand, and anything it does affects that brand. so the expression becomes stale, and stiff. no one wants to read corny badly written romance from an author they once thought great. so how are you to express that hidden side of yourself that wants to write garbage? 

the answer is a new pen name!!!! and you get to start all over again. 

why did i chose "Scroll of heroes" even though my REAL Pen name is Something else. Because Power fantasy is not my brand, but it IS my heart. so it must be written.

oh how I love to read and write power fantasy!!!! to watch as the bad men suffer and the hero wins the day with little effort. to hear the cries of the evil and darkness as they rue the day they underestimated the all powerful hero!!! even when faced with powers far greater than his he can bluff perfectly and cause them to bow down, or pull a secret power from nowhere and gain the advantage in a fight.

Yes it is my passion!!! and also... maybe a little shameful... because it's sometimes a little dumb. but that's ok because sometime it's not dumb it's Really, Really Dumb!!! 

lol. but always enjoyable.

Thank you ))) It's really wonderful to choose your new name!!! I've never thought about it!! And I like your idea!