Re: Do you prefer reading/writng on mobile or desktop?

Why does everyone hate on writing on mobile?
peoconfused
It can be annoying at first, but you can take a phone literally anywhere and it's less awkward. I'm pretty much convinced that's why I was able to write so much in such a short amount of time. I could write whenever, wherever. I had a lot more time to do so. I feel like if you want to edit, though, mobile sucks at that. I use docs, so that might be part of why I can tolerate writing on mobile. Plus, you don't have broken pages on mobile docs like you do on desktop docs. So it looks a lot more like how it would look on RR. kinda.
peodistress  Anywhere! I swear I'm insane!!

Lime_Lover Wrote: Why does everyone hate on writing on mobile?

For me it's the editing. Editing stuff on mobile is a pain in the arse. And the spellcheck actually increases my typos as it changes what I've written to what it thinks I should have (and autocorrects what would be obvious mistakes making them harder to find).

I just went and checked my word count on my tablet & it's at least 225,000 for fanfic & about another 20,000 (not including notes) of original stuff. So for someone who doesn't like writing on mobile I sure do a lot of it. Based on my word count it seems like I get struck by plot bunnies for fanfic whilst doing other stuff, which is a lot easier to capture without interrupting whatever I'm doing on mobile.

Llamadragon Wrote: I have an ipad with an attachable key pad. So, eh, a matter of definition. It's just a tiny laptop.

I just realized it might be due to making a ton of mistakes when I write with a keyboard that I prefer mobile. 
Cinn Wrote: For me it's the editing. Editing stuff on mobile is a pain in the arse.

I do admit that, I think I mentioned how I don't ever edit on mobile, and that's because it's a horrid pain in the ass for even me. Though, I tend to actually edit things in the draft section of RR before I upload a chapter pretty much. What you read in my story is different from what's written on my docs by miles. Plus, I can't highlight things on mobile to select a large amount of text. So I've started switching between using both.

FAHyatt Wrote: If by mobile, you mean a smartphone, I'm in awe, as I cant imagine anyone typing more than a quick emogie laden note one one.

By my (quick) calculations, I've written over... 300,000 words on this Samsung. Most of that was The Knights Himura, but a lot of it was thrown away drafts of other projects and such. I do most of my editing on PC though when I am able to.

I'm actually writing this reply on it too.

My first RR story was actually written as text documents on an old Sony phone. My current projects are both being written on this phone. I have a document open right now.

I wouldn't recommend it, but that's what I've got to work with. My thumbs are basically dead.

Reading... Never on mobile. I prefer an e-reader or a tablet.

Writing... Never on mobile. I either write on a tablet (a Samsung S6 like with an external Logitech K380 keyboard), or a desktop / laptop. 

On the desktop, in a good mood, I can hammer out about 500 words per hour, perhaps a little more, but not whilst plotting at the same time.

Dual monitors actually help, by keeping notes on one screen, main stuff on the other. A decent keyboard also helps (Microsoft natural).

As I'm a retrofitter sometimes the plotting can take days, followed by some far writing bursts.

Desktop to write.  I hate writing on mobile. It is easier for me to read and edit my own work. I also touch type faster than I type on mobile. It's painful and my thumbs are clumsy. I spend more time hitting buttons I don't mean to which leads to frustration. Editing is always awkward.

It's a little better to read on mobile,  but I prefer my tablet. I really wish, RoyalRoad had a mobile app.

Considering one of my thumbs is disabled and can't bend, I prefer desktop. Nah, but it's actually not a big hindrance on mobile. Even before the injury I preferred writing on desktop. It just feels cleaner for me, plus I can actually indent paragraphs.

I also feel like I get so much more work done on PC. I can't quite get into a writing groove on mobile for some reason. Maybe it's because I have to keep my hands off the keyboard? I tend not to take my hands off the keyboard once I've really started, to the point I learned multiple keyboard shortcuts for Chrome. 

But eh, this is all conjecture, I couldn't tell you the reason with complete certainty. For example, a friend of mine types at a much crazier pace on mobile than me, but they're beyond clumsy on PC. I guess learning how to type for a coding class helped me there, because I also rarely look at my keyboard.