Re: Why did you choose your username?

When I was a little kid I was a slut for anything H.P. Lovecraft related. I even have a recording of Doug Bradley (The guy that played Pinhead in the Hellraiser movies) doing the "ia ia cthulhu fhtagn!" chant. Why? Because it's fucking awesome, that's why.
Anyway, when I was younger, I wrote a lovecraft-esque story and the antagonist of the story was Nestorath, the Keeper of Secrets. I deemed the story both Awesome and Perfect and submitted it for publication and promptly received a my very first rejection letter. I was 14 after all, and I was still very new to the whole writing thing.
Anyway, that was 27 years ago.

Things come and go, but Nestorath has stuck around in my head, eagerly awaiting the day that I once again unleash him upon the world. It became an email address, a forum handle, whatever. A friend and I began writing and publishing a webcomic (it doesn't exist anymore, and I took the domain down, too) he drew and I wrote. He suggested shortening it to Nestor, and I agreed.

The picture is just from one of the first manga I translated when teaching myself Japanese. I liked his smirk.

https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F8Cz92Zk.jpg

Username, syllables that sounded cool together and weren't already taken, and could at a stretch be construed as my initials.

Avatar, I took the default avatar and have been continually upgrading it every time I levelup, changing the background and adding increasing levels of detail to the foreground. I'm actually pretty pleased with its progression. :)

Bio, dunno, it seemed the thing to do. People like to know stuff about people, so I put stuff about myself. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that needs deep questioning.

Title, I set as 'Just Add Magic!' because I write fantasy and it felt appropriate.

lil_chicken Wrote: Why did you pick your username? Why did you write your bio, did you put a title in it? Why did you choose your profile picture? ... Why did yours stick? Just stubborn attachment, or a precious memory, or just a random jumble of cool words?

Which one? I have two or three that I pick depending on if someone already nabbed one. 🤣

Cinn is the one I've had the longest. Short version is that my mates and I were big into The Matrix and all picked "hacker names" that sounded cool to use on the internet.

The bio is just a brief summary of me and a series of links to the other sites I have fictions (mostly fanfics) on, as it is on all.

My avatar is from Rinmaru Games (which I was going to give a massive shout out to, but she's moved on). Which was a site full of avatar/doll makers that I used to use to build/visualise characters. I don't know why but as I used to build them I'd fill in all sorts of personality/character/backstory details.

As to why any of my profile names stuck, no idea. All but Cinn are just a random mash of syllables that make a good name (to me at least).

'Wynn' is a play on how people pronounce my last name Nguyen (Most people pronounce it 'win' because it's too hard to pronounce 'weeyng'). And for 'Elmer'... I just google searched 'gender neutral sounding names' and picked the first one that I saw and liked hah.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the profile pic part. My profile pic is the infamous Weibo cat. It makes like... the most human expressions ever!! It's so cute. I couldn't help myself.

I chose my username because, after several attempts of trying to find a clever username and seeing they were all taken, I said "screw it" and checked if Already In Use was taken, and to my utter shock it wasn't. 

My profile picture is 2B from the game Nier Automata because, although I have issues with that game, it did influence how I think about storytelling. Plus, I just think 2B is really, really cool. 

Asviloka Wrote: Avatar, I took the default avatar and have been continually upgrading it every time I levelup, changing the background and adding increasing levels of detail to the foreground. I'm actually pretty pleased with its progression. :)

That is actually genius.

Ariana Wrote: Well, maybe mine is one of the most un-inspired reasons. I took my real name and surname, jumbled up the letters to form a nice-sounding anagram, and chose it as my pen-name. My bio is me being an honest biologist. And my pic is the first character I created for a written story longer than 20 pages.

Nothing is uninspired(kinda)

Cinn Wrote: Cinn is the one I've had the longest. Short version is that my mates and I were big into The Matrix and all picked "hacker names" that sounded cool to use on the internet.

Is lime a good hacker name?

David Wrote: When I was a kid, I found this name written on a piece of paper in a drawer and I've been using it ever since.

I don't know why but that's really interesting to me for some reason. Also, it must be awesome to have a twin brother. I'm a lonely only(child). oof.
Cedrych Wrote: Mine was a name for one of my D&D characters and it was doubtful anyone else would have used it.

True, but you never know. It's pretty cool after all.

YAK Wrote: It's my initials spoken out loud.

That makes a lot more sense than thinking about that one animal on a cliff.... I'm an idiot XD

Half Wrote: I wrote a long poem almost 30 years ago named "A Town Called Half Life". I've been using it as my handle since I first got on the internet, I also have used the name in the past for my self-published works as Half Life Comics.

My profile pic is just the signature I use on my artwork.

Woah. Also, that signature is absolutely awesome. I'd show mine, but it's worse than chicken scratch(not to mention my actual normal handwriting which is completely illegible ;-;)

Ramingo Wrote: I wanted a cool, and somewhat realistic, sounding name. I could've used my real name for that, but that seemed a bit much.
The profile picture is Bobbi Fabulous from Phineas and Ferb.

It does sound awesome. It also fits your profile picture perfectly. Nice.

elmerwynn Wrote: 'Wynn' is a play on how people pronounce my last name Nguyen (Most people pronounce it 'win' because it's too hard to pronounce 'weeyng'). And for 'Elmer'... I just google searched 'gender neutral sounding names' and picked the first one that I saw and liked hah.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the profile pic part. My profile pic is the infamous Weibo cat. It makes like... the most human expressions ever!! It's so cute. I couldn't help myself.

I love cats!!! Also, when I combine your name and profile pic, I imagine the kitten having tiny dragon wings. <3

Thireven Wrote: though it started with a Pikachu OC of mine. Just can't seem to let it go. >_>;

I feel that. Also, OC Pikachu sounds awesome. I don't think I've ever seen one other than a green recoloring. Though, It looks cool due to the fact it looks lime green. given, I've never actually actively searched for much OC stuff. So that's probably why.

Already Wrote: I chose my username because, after several attempts of trying to find a clever username and seeing they were all taken, I said "screw it" and checked if Already In Use was taken, and to my utter shock it wasn't.

Very clever indeed. Outwitting the system!

Lime_Lover Wrote: Why did you pick your username?

Rawralton was a weird middle school nickname I gave myself. I was kind of a dumb kid, I'll admit. Still am.

Mariko is a reference to a certain character from the Golden re-release of Persona 4. I just tacked it onto the front on a site I used to chat a long time ago and it stuck around.

Put them together and you get MarikoRawralton. I've thought about changing it for years, but honestly, most of my friends wouldn't allow it. That, and I can't think of anything better.

Lime_Lover Wrote: Why did you write your bio?

My bio isn't that interesting, I'll admit. I'm terrible at talking about myself. I like rambling on and on about stuff I do, not who I am. So stuff like this? I can explain myself and I like saying these things out loud. If you asked me to talk about myself without a goal, I'd struggle to find anything interesting.

I just put up a little tidbits about how I like to write and how much I've written. I can't think of anything anyone would find super interesting. If I had a template or a guideline, I could probably do something way better.

Lime_Lover Wrote: Why did you choose your profile picture?

My current profile picture is Demonica Bishi's face.

She's the protagonist of "My Jungle Book, Your Year", which is an old fanime project on YouTube from over a decade ago. It was the first piece of media I was really obsessed with as a kid, and it stuck with me. I think it was one of the major factors that got me into writing. The show's a hot mess with awkward animation and production problems, but the writing was stellar. It was way better than it had any reason to be.

It was the first profile pic I ever chose for myself, and I've had it for basically as long as I've had a presence online. Recently, I've been changing some profiles over to art of Carmen Sandiego in a bodysuit or art of Paimon from Genshin Impact.