Re: Pet Peeves

As the title suggests, what are some of your quirky pet peeves?  I will start out.  I hate, can't stand, vehemently loath, and get sad-mad when I see an anime/manga pic or gif of an anime I do not know and want to know the title of it so I can watch it but the person who posts it doesn't name what it is.  They also earn bonus hell points when they lock their comment sections before anyone can identify said mystery pic/gif. On top of that reverse image search doesn't work either.

People (teachers, readers, etc.) who say “nothing’s perfect” as their only justification for lowering a score or rating. Like they’re just waiting for god to descend upon the earth to take their English quiz or write a book in their genre before they give their perfect score.

I’m sorry, we use a human standard here on earth, not your godly 8th realm, 9th dimension divine criteria.

readerbreather Wrote: When people start getting increasingly verbose in arguments in an attempt to try to somehow “outwit” the person they’re arguing against utilizing their thesaurus. Mostly a pet peeve just because it gives me secondhand cringe, and I feel embarrassed for them. Hate secondhand embarrassment.

Ooh.  That's me.  I know I tend to bully people with vocabulary.  It's not big.  It's not clever.  And I'm ashamed of myself.  I try to catch myself doing it, but sometimes... I'm weak.

I don't have pet peeves.  My peeves are all entirely undomesticated.

Watching authors come in and shoot themselves in the foot by declaring how they are much better than every other author on this website. I mean, who knows, maybe they're right, but I sure as hell ain't gonna read their stuff now.  It's a good example of that secondhand embarrassment mentioned already.

Mine are incredibly dumb. I know full well how unreasonable my brain usually is, hence why I ignore it usually. Unfortunately, I still have those thoughts in the first place. When people don't understand the extent of something and get caught up in the short term when it's absolutely pointless and makes no difference. I also hate people embarrassing themselves, as well. Just like the other people stated. I hate it when I have to watch someone be awkward or act idiotically.
I also hate people who think that just because a person is told anyone can do anything it immediately fixes everything. Unreasonable and irrefutable requests. Yes, anyone can do anything, but that doesn't mean that they will. Some people's personalities get in the way, so while yes, they can technically do anything, it just isn't going to happen. Yet people expect you to do your best. Personally? I'd get tired if I always had to do my best. Sometimes people fail. But nobody is okay with that. And I'm not okay with nobody being okay with failure.
People cheering me on makes me depressed for some reason. I just freeze. I used to do running while I was in track for a little, and the moment someone called my name, I stopped. Just poof. Fortunately, I hate running anyway, and I got to move into throwing. So if someone cheers me, I do worse. far worse. It peeves me. Apparently, it has something to do with how I think, but it still sucks.
My inability to pay attention annoys me.
Oh, and people who force optimism on others. "You are a good person"
It hurts me when others try to make me feel better. Makes it feel like a pretzel knot is just my brain and it gets tighter and tighter. I don't want consolation, I want help.
Bullying. I absolutely despise it. So it's less a pet peeve than it is something I dislike others doing. Actually, I'm not sure whether that counts or not.
I could list a lot more, but I should leave it at that.

Nautilus Wrote: A pet peeve of mine is people who think that because they are on the internet they should act however they want to.
also people on the internet who never bother to check their sources, or the legitimacy of their claims.

I think everyone should just be nice. Everyone is here together, after all. Friends are usually better than foes. Plus, I like being treated kindly in return. Being nice makes me happy. Others being happy also makes me happy. It's a win-win.

Yoyu88 Wrote: As the title suggests, what are some of your quirky pet peeves?  I will start out.  I hate, can't stand, vehemently loath, and get sad-mad when I see an anime/manga pic or gif of an anime I do not know and want to know the title of it so I can watch it but the person who posts it doesn't name what it is.  They also earn bonus hell points when they lock their comment sections before anyone can identify said mystery pic/gif. On top of that reverse image search doesn't work either.

This is one of my most annoyance-causing pet peeves too. When someone posts something cool from a TV show and has no source because it's a clip or GIF, and google just shows infinite imgur and pinterest links, none of which give any source. The worst of all is if the GIF is in black and white. You'll never find it then.

Tilted_Axis Wrote: People (teachers, readers, etc.) who say “nothing’s perfect” as their only justification for lowering a score or rating. Like they’re just waiting for god to descend upon the earth to take their English quiz or write a book in their genre before they give their perfect score.

I’m sorry, we use a human standard here on earth, not your godly 8th realm, 9th dimension divine criteria.

I can definitely relate to this one. I went to college for graphic design and the teachers would give most of the class an 80% on our projects, claiming that an A was reserved for students who went "above and beyond." It wasn't that we got marked down for doing something wrong, or not following the directions. They just weren't impressed enough.

Oh hey, I just remembered another of my pet peeves: Glowing eyes.

Glowing eyes make absolutely no sense biologically. The eyes need light to enter them to see. Making them emit light is the exact opposite of what they are designed to do. All that would happen is the character would be blinded. It's just as ridiculous as making the ears emit sound.

Half Wrote: Oh hey, I just remembered another of my pet peeves: Glowing eyes.

Glowing eyes make absolutely no sense biologically. The eyes need light to enter them to see. Making them emit light is the exact opposite of what they are designed to do. All that would happen is the character would be blinded. It's just as ridiculous as making the ears emit sound.

Not gonna lie, I love glowing eyes in fantasy, cyberpunk, sci-fi, etc.

There would be interior reflections at the cornea from the iris, which would mean some of the light is still getting reflected back into the pupil where it would obscure vision rather than enhance it. All dielectric materials have a certain amount of light that is lost to internal reflections. If the iris is bright enough to see from a few feet away, even a small amount of internal reflection is going to overwhelm the pupil.

Think of the example of a streetlight on a clear day at noon. The streetlight would not look very bright at all because it is a very weak emitter compared to the sun, which is what our eyes have adjusted to. However that same streetlight is intensely bright on a moonless night because it is the brightest thing in the area, so our eyes adjust to it as the baseline. Adding light to a dark scene does not improve night vision, it does the opposite. The shadows become even more impenetrable.

If there was any biological advantage to putting a light source in the same area as the pupil there would be at least one example of it in nature somewhere on Earth. It's important to note that reflecting light is not the same thing as emitting light. There are plenty of good biological reasons an eye might reflect light.
[/url]
[url=animalhow.com/glowing-animal-eyes-night/]Here's a decent and simple write up on how light reflective eyes can increase night vision.

not to mention the annoying fact that even if your eyes were to be closed it would be like a flashlight was shining in them
people already have night vision of a sort, it just takes 30 minutes or so to come into effect. glowing eyes would be horrible for either prey or predator, it would give their position away in a heartbeat, they would never be able to hide or to hunt.

@Half Life, I love a good science talk. 

But to be fair, we are on a site where people can shoot out flames from their hands in stories and summon store clouds. And regenerate (which IS biologically possible, but hello telomeres and cancer TM). But generally it’s not biologically possible.

Just curious, were you referring to using “glowing eyes” as a descriptor? Or actual, magically glowing eyes? Like if you see a fantasy movie/cartoon where a character casts a spell and has glowing eyes, are you like “THAT IS IT. *table flip*”? Sorta pet peeve