Re: A Year in (Sorta) Retrospective

I just got this wonderful message yesterday: 

https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FfeUpq87.png

And it coincides with my making my end-of-year breakdown. So I figured maybe I'd post it all here. 

I'm far from being the most successful writer out there, but I think I've done a decent job of it, and I figured maybe sharing the work and rewards that went into that with others might help. 

Also, I wanna flex because I'm quite smugly proud of myself. 

https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FA2eXwrR.jpg

This is extraordinary. I love seeing analytics like this and am definitely going to use this as motivation to improve my own 2021. I'm so sorry to hear that your year was filled with such tragedies. It makes your rise in the genre all the more impressive. 

One question I would ask though: What is your definition of failure? You said that you started a number of books, but only some of them succeeded. What is your criteria for success vs. failure and how do determine when it's best to pull the cord on a passion project / story? 

Do you have any insights into how you've networked across groups and platforms? Was all of this organic growth through trending / word-of-mouth? Sorry for the bombardment of messages, it's just so rare to get a look behind the curtain... especially when it's a peer! 

James Wrote: What is your definition of failure? You said that you started a number of books, but only some of them succeeded. What is your criteria for success vs. failure and how do determine when it's best to pull the cord on a passion project / story?

Ah, well, I define failure when a story either doesn't reach the level where I feel comfortable posting it, despite putting some effort into it, or when after posting, a story just doesn't get many views or attention. If the story isn't reaching its audience, then I might as well spend the time I would working on that story, working on another that might. 

Failure is... subjective, I guess. Even the worse story can succeed with enough content, advertising, and drive from the author. But a successful story just kind of takes off on its own. 

I guess it's less 'failure' and more 'not succeeding.' Usually I retire the story and consider bringing it back later on.

James Wrote: Do you have any insights into how you've networked across groups and platforms? Was all of this organic growth through trending / word-of-mouth?

Um. Mostly I tried to be nice? I got lucky a few times, meeting friends of friends and bumping into random authors. It helps that I've read a lot of the stories that they wrote, so I have something to gush about! Other then that, just being on the discords and reaching out to say 'hi' to people when they're online helps.

That, and being even somewhat popular tends to beget more popularity. It's kinda strange, I guess, and very much circumstantial. 

Great post! And not surprised that a bird would like pie (chart). Sorry to hear about your mother and dad. Glad that your writing and its reception has helped you stay sane and financially supported. You deserve your success after all that effort working your tailfeathers off writing, researching, creating cover art, worldbuilding, discording, and making non-pointless infographics.

Hope you continue and have an equally successful (if not more so) 2nd year in RR! 

One of my writing projects (The Pilot Series, on Starbase,) took a year between August of 2019 and 2020. During that time, I wrote 8 chapters, with a combined total of 8000-9000+ words. 
Seeing your word count, I can only ask. How did you do it?
Also, great post on the infographics. Really helps out in seeing the progress over the course of a year.