Re: Poor Ratings Spree?

Thedude3445 Wrote: It's one user who is abusing the system and will hopefully get their account deleted, because it's the most obvious rating manipulation out there.

Everyone who posted on the LGBT Ettiquite thread, or the Representation Doesn't Matter thread, in favor of LGBT stuff appears to have gotten a 0.5 rating on 12/28. Maybe most readers wouldn't have noticed but this moron rated ALL SEVEN of my stories a 0.5 at the exact same time. Nobody but me has read all seven of my stories. Hell, I'm not even sure I've read all seven of my stories.

Wow, that's exactly it and that's super frustrating!

CoCop Wrote:
AliceBSullivan Wrote: Anyone else have sudden .5-1 star rating(s) land on their fic(s) within a short amount of time? Like within the same day, within hours, minutes?

Would that have happened around 6:00 (RR time) on 12/28/20?  Because a couple people who commented on a forum thread you commented on had multiple fictions downvoted in short order.

This is exactly it, and that's frustrating as hell. Wow. I hadn't even thought about that! smdh

Half Wrote: As long as ratings remain anonymous this problem will never go away.

I am kinda starting to come around to de-anonymizing ratings. It'll make me have to go in and scramble to delete some of the ratings I've given to popular stories I've dropped, but it's a lot better than giving a voice to the most base, toxic of jerks who take multiple prominent users reporting them to have anything happen (whoever did the spamming on 12/28 has not yet been addressed however).

Thedude3445 Wrote:
Half Wrote: As long as ratings remain anonymous this problem will never go away.

I am kinda starting to come around to de-anonymizing ratings. It'll make me have to go in and scramble to delete some of the ratings I've given to popular stories I've dropped, but it's a lot better than giving a voice to the most base, toxic of jerks who take multiple prominent users reporting them to have anything happen (whoever did the spamming on 12/28 has not yet been addressed however).

It's honestly so disgusting that someone would just poor-rate spree all because they didn't agree with users' opinions. Like...why? Go outside and play, create a fulfilling life rather than project your toxicity onto others because you have no other way to vent.

WailingDusk Wrote: RR could fix this easily if they wanted.

Not nearly as easily as you've posted. Lemme point out the flaw in your reasoning: 

Quote:All they would have to do is force the reviewer to rate the story in all categories, and make them give a review. This would make it easier to tell BS ratings from real reviews or criticism. If someone rates the story .5 stars or 5 stars and leaves a one word review, they are likely not real, just someone trying to troll or rating swap which would make it easier to report and get rid of the people causing the problems or at the very least, discourage them from wasting their time.

This is predicated on the assumption that comprehensive reviews are done in good faith. 
Someone could easily just .5 star in all categories and then copy-paste the word "shit" eight thousand times. 

Relax, don't feed the trolls, and focus on what you like doing- writing.

Half Wrote: The world would be sooooooooo boring if everybody agreed all the time. The idea that you need to punish people you don't agree with is going to be the the downfall of the internet.

people punish people they don't agree with all the time, and it's quite disgusting. That's why you see more and more authors publicly shaming people who give them bad reviews. There's no such thing as civil disagreement. 

Half Wrote: The world would be sooooooooo boring if everybody agreed all the time. The idea that you need to punish people you don't agree with is going to be the the downfall of the internet.

The troll DIDN'T READ OUR STORIES. That's the reason that this is an issue. It's not a matter of liking or disliking a story; it's that this person dislikes us as human beings and decided to "punish" our stories with bad ratings, which unfortunately very much matters on this site.

I get that a lot of authors on these forums write stories that don't tend to get this level of hate, or that their stories aren't popular enough to really get many ratings (I fall in the latter category), but it's a huge drag on our work and pretty soul-crushing that trolls can completely dictate the destinies of our stories on this site. My book Hands Held in the Snow was once one of the most popular completed romance stories on this site, and brought in a few new readers every month who have given wonderful reviews and comments that make everything worth it. But steadily over time, the story has received 0.5 after 0.5, and not enough positive ratings to balance it out. After two 0.5s in the past month, it's fallen completely off of the rankings for romance and down almost out of the top #1000 altogether. This story is complete and receives pretty high marks from almost everyone who reads it; these trolls who absolutely did not read the story, however, are able to bury it and hide it so that potential readers are unable to find it at all.

This isn't a problem just with me, or just a couple people on the forums. This is a problem with any author who makes LGBT stories, or stories with visibly "other" protagonists for that matter. It's systematic and has driven away a LOT of people from ever using this site. I've talked to several Tapas writers who were very vocal when I brought up this site that this place is a scum hive where homophobes and toxic teenagers thrive. These are popular, successful authors on other sites who won't touch this place with a fifteen meter pole. Diminishing just how serious this issue is isn't going to fix anything.

Basically, your post is right but in the completely opposite direction of what you intended: the internet will collapse because people have to be "punished" or "silenced" whenever people disagree with them. That's why, every time someone makes a thread on this forum about LGBT issues, some anonymous jerkwads will sift through and give bad ratings to the people who disagree with them. The message is simple: If you support LGBT rights, you will be punished. If you want to keep high ratings, you need to be silent. Is that really a message you want to get behind?

As a reader, I do notice that websites like tapas and scribblehub have a slightly more tolerant audience than this website. I choose not to use tapas though because the chapter lengths there are a biiiiit too short for me and I hate having to constantly click “next chapter”. And scribblehub is too kinky for me lol

This is an issue though. I’ve seen it pop up numerous times on the forums. The largest example of this with be the Nothing Mage (?) which was a popular novel here that featured a bisexual main character. It’s been taken down for reasons I’m not sure of, but it received a lot of 0.5* ratings after the MC’s sexuality was revealed. It’s up on amazon still though if you wanna take a look. 

readerbreather Wrote: As a reader, I do notice that websites like tapas and scribblehub have a slightly more tolerant audience than this website. I choose not to use tapas though because the chapter lengths there are a biiiiit too short for me and I hate having to constantly click “next chapter”. And scribblehub is too kinky for me lol

This is an issue though. I’ve seen it pop up numerous times on the forums. The largest example of this with be the Nothing Mage (?) which was a popular novel here that featured a bisexual main character. It’s been taken down for reasons I’m not sure of, but it received a lot of 0.5* ratings after the MC’s sexuality was revealed. It’s up on amazon still though if you wanna take a look.

I have a story with a bisexual side character.  Sometimes he dates women.  When he's in a chapter and dating a man, I usually get 1-3 .5s or 1s.

I think I'm up to 6 to 8 that sync up with those chapters (and at least one that flat out said "the author is getting into gay s***" in a review that got deleted (although the rating didn't)).  The message is clear.  If you're going to have queer characters, expect a rating bomb.  I'm not exactly sure that things have changed much since The Nothing Mage went from a top 10ish story to a 4.0/5 star average.

Hopefully egregious examples (like what we're running into here) will be punished, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  I like Royal Road a lot, but it's an imperfect website.  I would not suggest posting LGBTQ heavy fiction here because the audience is not receptive.  It's a shame, but it is what it is.

Well, my story isn't LGBT at all... at least I don't think so?  peoconfused
And I still was hit in the same 'Spree'. 
The only thing this did was making me think twice before I comment on any new controversial topic in the forums again. Since positioning oneself somewhere on the middle ground of an issue appears to only gather flak from both sides. ^^

I don't know if I would use the term 'scum hive' for maybe a couple dozen trolls in total on a site with ten-thousands of users. 

At least it doesn't seem to me that there are much more than that. I could be wrong though. How many of these 0.5 ratings do you have in total if I may ask? 
Of course, not every single one of those might have been someone who didn't like you as a person. At least not as long as there are still users around who try to 'fix' perceived overinflated ratings by 'downvoting' everyone.

I just find it a bit funny that there was someone so triggered that they didn't only take the time to open my story, giving a downvote to every single one of my reviews and a 0.5 rating, but apparently did the same for every single story of half a dozen other people as well. 

I don't think this is a phenomenon exclusive to the LGBT crowd though. Doesn't matter what or who you are, there will sadly always be people who hate you for just being you or even just one aspect they think you embody. I wish it was different, but alas...

carebear90 Wrote: Well, my story isn't LGBT at all... at least I don't think so?  peoconfused
The only thing this did was making me think twice before I comment on any new controversial topic in the forums again. Since positioning oneself somewhere on the middle ground of an issue appears to only gather flak from both sides. ^^

I don't know if I would use the term 'scum hive' for maybe a couple dozen trolls in total on a site with ten-thousands of users.

I certainly wouldn't call it a scum hive, but several prominent web fiction authors who make really good works on other sites have called it just that, and it hurts my soul.

And I really hope you don't refrain from posting on controversial forum threads. The person (and remember it's almost certainly just one person) gave out all those 0.5 ratings to send a message, and that message was to be quiet. If we censor ourselves by not speaking out, that jerk won.

carebear90 Wrote: Well, my story isn't LGBT at all... at least I don't think so?  peoconfused

At least it doesn't seem to me that there are much more than that. I could be wrong though. How many of these 0.5 ratings do you have in total if I may ask? 
Of course, not every single one of those might have been someone who didn't like you as a person. At least not as long as there are still users around who try to 'fix' perceived overinflated ratings by 'downvoting' everyone.

I just find it a bit funny that there was someone so triggered that they didn't only take the time to open my story, giving a downvote to every single one of my reviews and a 0.5 rating, but apparently did the same for every single story of half a dozen other people as well. 

I don't think this is a phenomenon exclusive to the LGBT crowd though. Doesn't matter what or who you are, there will sadly always be people who hate you for just being you or even just one aspect they think you embody. I wish it was different, but alas...

I don't want to be the "acktuolly" guy, but actually, RoyalRoad gets around 10 million total monthly visitors, (SimilarWeb, 2020). While digging I also found that Ruffwriter has a blog with like 100-400k monthly users, And he's still writing 'Savage Divinity'.

I can't remember where I read this next piece; but currently 'Mother of Learning' is the top source of traffic for the site, that is from google searches and link redirects. 

However for the life of me I must clarify that each unique "user" is based on their IP address, most devices these days have dynamic IPs. So the IP changes whenever it feels like it, even mine changes every few days or every few hours, so all my logins can be recorded as different "unique" users. The internet really isn't that big of a place, but then there's also bots, just automated browsers going around clicking stuff to stimulate traffic or crash a website with DDoS.