Re: What is the best method to publish on royalroad?

Best method: write chapter 1-20 for two months or so. Write more if you can. Now is the time to see if your story can handle additional arcs and incidentally, also the time to ask yourself honestly if you want to continue your story. Check for possible loopholes.

Then start publishing ONCE A DAY. Exposure as long as possible on the front page is the name of the game. At least in the early stages of your story to get noticed. Once that is done, then it is best to publish at a pace that you are comfortable in. Consistency is the next important thing. You get a better result if you publish once or twice a week for a month, than an irregular 4 chappies first week, 2 chappies in the 2nd week, 1 chappy in the 3rd week, then 4 chappies again in the 4th. 

Don't get bogged down by the numbers. Just keep writing. Remember, marathon and not a sprint.

The question is incomplete.  What do you hope to achieve by publishing on Royal Road?  Different ways of publishing will achieve different things.  I'm using RR primarily as a way to set myself deadlines for which I can be held accountable.  Whilst I wouldn't mind attracting readers, it's far from my priority.

If you want to attract Patrons who will provide you financial support on a regular basis, you might look to publish consistently once a week.

If you want to attract readers who might eventually buy a print or ePub edition of your book, you would probably want to publish daily (and have already finished your book before you started to publish it).

If you want the ego boost of appearing on the front page... Well, then it's less about how you publish than it is about what you publish.  And you'll also need to write something really good, which is a far larger challenge for most of us than our publishing schedule.

If you want to participate in the writing community and have fun learning from other writers and being inspired by their work... well, you might want to publish only once a month, as you're going to be regularly re-writing, correcting and expanding on your work as you learn and grow.

And as your priorities change, you might like to publish at a different frequency.  Maybe you can take a couple of weeks off to experiment with writing a chapter a day!  Or you have to work longer hours at work, so reduce your weekly schedule to a monthly one.  Or you suffer a family emergency and just have to put the whole thing on hold for a few months.

Think about why you're here and what you want to accomplish.  You might even like to write it down.  That way, you can review your expectations on a regular basis to decide whether it's not just your writing that's changed, but you as well.

precinctomega Wrote: The question is incomplete.  What do you hope to achieve by publishing on Royal Road?  Different ways of publishing will achieve different things.  I'm using RR primarily as a way to set myself deadlines for which I can be held accountable.  Whilst I wouldn't mind attracting readers, it's far from my priority.

I like this answer. I don't publish on RR for viewers, really. If they come, great, but I've been using RR as a means and reason to give my backlog of writing a final proofread before indie publishing them.

The best way to upload is by uploading a chapter every 24 hours. You only get featured once a day in the "LATEST UPDATES" section.

I just started posting a story here, and I noticed that this is the best way to do so. I even went and checked that my story actually got featured after posting. If I post a second chapter on the same day, my thumbnail on the section will only display that I uploaded a second chap next to it, it will not go to the top of the list. (By then it's going to on the 2nd or 3rd page so it's useless). You can only get featured at the top of the list every 24 hours!

You need to be always aiming to get featured at the top of the list. That's the best thing! Of course, you can upload multiple chapters at the same time, nothing is stopping you, but it's better to benefit from the exposure that each chapter can give you! It's up to you.

I hope I was helpful.