Re: Curious to try out a Royal Road Ad, does anyone have any experience?

Hey all, I'm curious to try out a Royal Road ad for authors. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. If you used it on your story or kindle book, what were your results? 

I'm thinking about linking to my RoyalRoad novel to get a boost in readership. It seems like a good way to do it while also supporting the site. 

Any insights are appreciated. Thanks!

Any exposure is a mixed bag, but if you're confident in your product and ready to start advertising, go for it.

I'd say the most important thing is to ensure your ad is clear, visually attractive, conveys the right vibe for your story, and has enough information to entice people to want to know more. It's not as easy as it sounds, but the last thing you want is to pay for space with something no one will want to click on.

(Disclaimer: I haven't ever placed ads, but I do on rare occasion click on them.)

Yep, I ran an ad for Aeonica before (which is on RR) and I kept track of all the stats:

-Rectangle (300 x 250)
-330,000 total views, which I burned through in around 22 hours.
-737 Clicks
-0.152$ Average eCPM
-0.220% Overall CTR
-19 new followers during the time of the ad
-4 new favorites during the time of the ad
-1 new rating during the ad, plus 2 more the day after.

Hope that helps!

David Wrote: Yep, I ran an ad for Aeonica before (which is on RR) and I kept track of all the stats:

-Rectangle (300 x 250)
-737 Clicks
-0.152$ Average eCPM
-0.220% Overall CTR

Hope that helps!

[Not OP] Would you say it was worth it to run the ad?

ZachSkye Wrote: I've heard other authors say it improves visibility but might be liable for some people review bombing your fiction.

It seemed unclear if that was just due to increasied exposure, or because people get irrationally upset at ads.

It doesn't seem like it'd hurt if you have the cash and wanna give it a spin.

It's good, but the week during it was up my fiction was carpet bombed with 0.5's. But on the flipside it brings in people who wouldn't have ever seen your fiction otherwise. Just as I was given a lot of stupid stars I was given a lot more activity in my comments / views. If you make your ad attractive its a definite pull. Only thing is that it sets up "expectations" for people who click the ad and don't bother to read the blurb. So you'll get a lot of people who just bomb because the genre you write is not for them, or, from the cynic in me people review bomb it because they're annoyed you dared to send them an ad.

AliceBSullivan Wrote:
David Wrote: Yep, I ran an ad for Aeonica before (which is on RR) and I kept track of all the stats:

-Rectangle (300 x 250)
-737 Clicks
-0.152$ Average eCPM
-0.220% Overall CTR

Hope that helps!

[Not OP] Would you say it was worth it to run the ad?

Hmm ... in hindsight, it probably wasn't the best move on my part. My click-through rate was fairly low here (0.2% is less than a quarter of the average CTR on Facebook ads.) And of those clicks, less than 3% became followers.

What I should have done is saved the money, waited until after I released the ebook, and purchased an Amazon, Bookbub, or Facebook ad instead. Most experienced marketers I know seem to agree that those three have the best return on investment.

This might have more to do with my story though. The fact is, it doesn't do that well on RR, and money wasn't going to fix that problem. Back then, I assumed it never took off because I never hit Trending (It was only later that I learned how to get on there.) But after I tried running an ad, I realized that exposure wasn't the problem. 

Of course, if I hadn't run the ad, I might still be blaming the problem on exposure, so that part's a bit tricky.

I regularly buy an ad, it's great for gaining followers but you also get your story bombed. I bought an ad when I released my story and my first ratings were 3,1 and 1.5. So I ended up with an overall rating of 2.08 that I had to claw my way back from.

It's worth getting, but I recommend doing it after your story can handle the negative feedback. I hope that helps!

Jack0fheart Wrote: I regularly buy an ad, it's great for gaining followers but you also get your story bombed. I bought an ad when I released my story and my first ratings were 3,1 and 1.5. So I ended up with an overall rating of 2.08 that I had to claw my way back from.

It's worth getting, but I recommend doing it after your story can handle the negative feedback. I hope that helps!

so people bomb your story solely because you bought an ad to advertise it? Are people truly that petty? What's going on with this platform lmao

AliceBSullivan Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote: I regularly buy an ad, it's great for gaining followers but you also get your story bombed. I bought an ad when I released my story and my first ratings were 3,1 and 1.5. So I ended up with an overall rating of 2.08 that I had to claw my way back from.

so people bomb your story solely because you bought an ad to advertise it? Are people truly that petty? What's going on with this platform lmao

People hate ads. That's about the whole of it. 

RavensDagger Wrote:
AliceBSullivan Wrote:

advertisements are...how things become known. Why bomb someone for an advertisement? It's one thing if it were a phone application and there was an ad after every round, or if there were an ad on every corner of the computer screen, barely leaving any space to navigate the actual website...those are things you bomb because of ads, because the ads are invasive and annoying...but for someone to bomb you because you bought an ad to help promote your free story? Oof. People are horrendous.

AliceBSullivan Wrote:
RavensDagger Wrote:
AliceBSullivan Wrote:

advertisements are...how things become known. Why bomb someone for an advertisement? It's one thing if it were a phone application and there was an ad after every round, or if there were an ad on every corner of the computer screen, barely leaving any space to navigate the actual website...those are things you bomb because of ads, because the ads are invasive and annoying...but for someone to bomb you because you bought an ad to help promote your free story? Oof. People are horrendous.

I hate ads because I feel like a lotta times they're shoved down our throat in modern-day media. Most of the internet I go around with an adblock because not only are ads annoying, but sometimes they can also be malicious and have things embedded in them.

That said, there's a big difference between seeing a ad for a book, and seeing an ad for voting for someone for the thousandth time. And given that the ads are for free stories, it's a big difference in my mind - so I don't mind ads for books. Even for ones you have to purchase. But technically, I suppose, they aren't exactly for a free book because a lotta times the underlying reason is the author wants to grow their audience.

Why does the author want to grow their audience? Because they want more people to read their book sure, but there's also a hope that they sign up for Patreon or something similar. Or that by growing said audience, you get more visibility for that likelihood to occur. Is that bad? Hell no. It's a good thing since fundamentally, the story is free on this site, and you're supporting a typically, smaller creator. That's an awesome thing. The fact people can purchase ads for the site for their books is a good thing. Personally, I feel like it's kind of wasted since I would reserve marketing funds like that for an eventual self-published book release(either paying an editor or ads on that book) since it's actually for sale. 

But maybe a person is jaded and they don't really consider that. Maybe they just feel like you're trying to i don't know, actively hurt them with ads? That kind of mindset is toxic and ridiculous, but some people are like that. 

ZachSkye Wrote:
AliceBSullivan Wrote:
RavensDagger Wrote:
AliceBSullivan Wrote:

I hate ads because I feel like a lotta times they're shoved down our throat in modern-day media. Most of the internet I go around with an adblock because not only are ads annoying, but sometimes they can also be malicious and have things embedded in them.

That said, there's a big difference between seeing a ad for a book, and seeing an ad for voting for someone for the thousandth time. And given that the ads are for free stories, it's a big difference in my mind - so I don't mind ads for books. Even for ones you have to purchase. But technically, I suppose, they aren't exactly for a free book because a lotta times the underlying reason is the author wants to grow their audience.

Why does the author want to grow their audience? Because they want more people to read their book sure, but there's also a hope that they sign up for Patreon or something similar. Or that by growing said audience, you get more visibility for that likelihood to occur. Is that bad? Hell no. It's a good thing since fundamentally, the story is free on this site, and you're supporting a typically, smaller creator. That's an awesome thing. The fact people can purchase ads for the site for their books is a good thing. Personally, I feel like it's kind of wasted since I would reserve marketing funds like that for an eventual self-published book release(either paying an editor or ads on that book) since it's actually for sale. 

But maybe a person is jaded and they don't really consider that. Maybe they just feel like you're trying to i don't know, actively hurt them with ads? That kind of mindset is toxic and ridiculous, but some people are like that.

don't get me wrong. I hate advertisements that are invasive. I do agree that advertisements are shoved down our throats. It seems as if you're seeing more advertisements compared to what you're doing while viewing the ad: phone app, website, TV show...It gets to a point where, if there are more ads than sustenance, I just stop what I'm doing because I wasn't doing it to spend 99% of my time viewing a 30-second unskippable ad, smdh. I just don't understand why people would bomb a story because they saw an ad for it. Like why does that make you feel better? It isn't like you spent the money. You lose nothing lmfao

ZachSkye Wrote:
AliceBSullivan Wrote:
RavensDagger Wrote:
AliceBSullivan Wrote:

I've noticed that the change to trending is no longer solely based on rating. Instead, it's affected by an increase in views. I noticed that because I'm not in the main trending category and have moved up in the tragedy and mystery categories since purchasing an ad for my 12 days of Christmas promo while not receiving any ratings. So you still gain an audience and followers, but your story will never be highly rated like some are.

The sad thing that I've noticed is people will only donate to authors in the top 100 or top 10 trending. So buying an ad should only be for if you want to increase your exposure for future publication and/or followers. You won't get your money back and people can be nasty. It does helps develop a thick skin.

Jack0fheart Wrote:
ZachSkye Wrote:
AliceBSullivan Wrote:
RavensDagger Wrote:
AliceBSullivan Wrote:

I've noticed that the change to trending is no longer solely based on rating. Instead, it's affected by an increase in views. I noticed that because I'm not in the main trending category and have moved up in the tragedy and mystery categories since purchasing an ad for my 12 days of Christmas promo while not receiving any ratings. So you still gain an audience and followers, but your story will never be highly rated like some are.

The sad thing that I've noticed is people will only donate to authors in the top 100 or top 10 trending. So buying an ad should only be for if you want to increase your exposure for future publication and/or followers. You won't get your money back and people can be nasty. It does helps develop a thick skin.

I've noticed that views definitely have a large effect on trending, maybe moreso than followers and reviews. For example; my book Restaurant Core still hasn't hit trending for comedy. Taking a quick look at the top 50 for that category, I can see that it has more followers and ratings than a few of those stories. Even having more favorites. The difference? Fewer views, and smaller page count(which can also be linked to overall views.) Even having occurred in a smaller period of time. 

Hard not to come to that conclusion. 

augustwrites Wrote: Wow so much great info. Seems like ads don't necessarily generate good results, which is actually quite unfortunate for both authors and supporting RR as a platform. Not sure what the solution would be.

I would still do it if you're prepared for the negatives, I mean, negative publicity is still publicity. Better than being nonexistent to an audience, and besides, I'm secretly of the opinion that although the trending algo changed, ratings are still important however much they changed it. So even if you get bombed by 0.5's you're still being helped.