Re: Are you scared to post your work for people to see?

LambentTyto Wrote: I've never read a book, where when I finished, I thought, "Wow, that one paragraph was so good." Or, "Wow, that sentence was crap, what a hack." Fussing over writing line by line is a waste of time.

Alternatively, there are lots of times where I stop in the middle of reading to absorb a great sentence or paragraph. There are a bunch of books where I didn't care for the plot or characters but continued to read because of the quality of the prose.

Fussing over writing line by line is no more a waste of time than any other part of writing.

I have a different fear. While I certainly do not enjoy getting torn apart by scathing criticism (and yes, that is on my mind when I put my work out there), I'm more afraid of the silence. I'm afraid taking 8+ just of planning to get to the point where I am now, then sitting down and writing and posting chapter after chapter, only to see "16 views", no ratings or comments, and no Patreon subscriptions. Month after month of planning and outlining and writing, an immense amount of work, all for the equivalent of narrating my story to my kitchen sink.

I don't fear the scorn. I fear the silence.

The scorn does make me a little jittery though.

TienSwitch Wrote: I have a different fear. While I certainly do not enjoy getting torn apart by scathing criticism (and yes, that is on my mind when I put my work out there), I'm more afraid of the silence. I'm afraid taking 8+ just of planning to get to the point where I am now, then sitting down and writing and posting chapter after chapter, only to see "16 views", no ratings or comments, and no Patreon subscriptions. Month after month of planning and outlining and writing, an immense amount of work, all for the equivalent of narrating my story to my kitchen sink.

I don't really have the right to say a lot of this considering I have an ok amount of views, but....

I feel that. 
Well, I get some views, but that makes the lack of reviews and ratings that much more jarring. Personally, I think 16 views on a fiction is okay if you get it consistently. it means at least a few people like your work enough to read that much. Most of my fictions have around that average, I think. It's been a while since I really checked, though.
I have a few ratings, maybe 3 comments, and a single review. Also, I'm pretty sure 2 of the ratings were those drive-by .5s everyone talks about, but who knows. My story isn't the best. Though I'm trying my best to make it as good as I can.
But if I never once got a review or rating I would be more than a little confused.
I, too, fear the silence. (Wait, isn't that from doctor who?)
But yeah, a lack of comments is pretty lonely. I want to interact a lot more with my readers, but some of them might not even have an account.
It can only improve for anyone, though. Keep going!
Also, are you talking about 8+ years of planning by yourself? 
That's quite a long time. 
Especially if you never tried to get feedback from anyone at all.
That's why I post my stuff. To perfect my stories. I can't do that if I don't know the flaws.
Thankfully, I just started writing recently and found RR pretty early compared to most. 
So I'm glad I can start out with help from others like this.
I don't use it myself for some reason, but I'm pretty sure there's a review swap section if you want them enough.
It makes me more anxious to post on a review swap, which is probably the reason, now that I think about it.
https%3A%2F%2F2static1.fjcdn.com%2Fcomments%2FSo%2Bi...fd5cf9.png 
As for patreon? I have almost no idea how the heck it works, and never looked into it, so I can't say much about that. But I'm pretty sure I won't even think about that unless I hit 10k total views or something. I do this as a hobby, after all. 
But if you want to do it for a job, I kinda have to emphasize the importance of feedback, even in the planning stages. Actually, especially in the planning stages.
It's helped me out a bunch just to read the forums alone. 
Also, how long do you wait before looking at how many people read your works? 
personally, due to being a hobby writer, I mostly take pictures when I hit a funny number. like hitting 2020 on 2021. I never got a chance to take a picture of it at 420 though ;-;
Well, 69 average views was pretty funny, too. Kinda sad it didn't stay on that.
Btw, advertising on the forums is also something you should do. That's pretty important. Add a signature if you haven't already.
But I'm not sure if you do or not, because I'm assuming that's an alt. 
If not, I'm incredibly confused.
But I'm kinda new and not new, so I might be wrong on some of this stuff.
I'm also somewhat oblivious as a person, so apologies if I'm being dumb. Always anxious that I'm doing something dumb, so I'll apologize just in case. Mostly due to an inability to process what's going on around me and a constantly tipping screen. 
Actually, it feels like I'm on a boat...(it's kinda funny and entertaining, actually, seeing everything dancing). 
I'm going to assume that I'm fine considering my heart is still beating. I think.
Eh, you know what they say. I can sleep when I'm dead.
(Honestly though, insomnia sucks. That's why I can post random stuff at random times.)
Anyway, I think it's important to have fun when you write. End it on a positive note.

Lime_Lover Wrote:
TienSwitch Wrote: I have a different fear. While I certainly do not enjoy getting torn apart by scathing criticism (and yes, that is on my mind when I put my work out there), I'm more afraid of the silence. I'm afraid taking 8+ just of planning to get to the point where I am now, then sitting down and writing and posting chapter after chapter, only to see "16 views", no ratings or comments, and no Patreon subscriptions. Month after month of planning and outlining and writing, an immense amount of work, all for the equivalent of narrating my story to my kitchen sink.

Also, are you talking about 8+ years of planning by yourself? 
That's quite a long time. 
Especially if you never tried to get feedback from anyone at all.
That's why I post my stuff. To perfect my stories. I can't do that if I don't know the flaws.

Wow, that's one hell of a typo.

I meant 8 months. I've been outlining my series since May. I currently have an outline that's about to hit 100,000 words. Though to be fair, that outline does include an episode-by-episode (I write in a Season/Episode format) detailed summary, as well as a Halloween short story set in my universe that a friend of mine said was "terrifying". My series is not a horror story; it's superhero fantasy.

I'm waiting until I have all episodes summarized (probably about 75 episodes) before I start writing, and the first season completed before I start posting.

I’m less scared and more dreadful of having to deal with people that will inevitably hop on my fics to bitch about stuff that’s either wrong, or was already so obvious from chapter one that it makes me wonder why the hell the guy sat there and decided to read on.

99% of any negative feedback I’ve gotten is from people that are openly aware that my fics aren’t targeted toward them, but still read them anyway. After they tell me that, I immediately know that they read the stories just to look for shit to bitch about and write in their review what’s effectively “These are things that aren’t tailored to me. I don’t like them because of that, and this is me dragging down the score of the story to express how I don’t like it’s not tailored to my taste. Please agree with me!”

I had one guy complain about the MC having bright colored hair (literally his hair is on the cover pic) and the story being JRPG/Anime esque (literally written in the synopsis) yet he read it anyway. When I asked him WHY he went out of his way to complain about the obvious, his response was word for word “You could have chosen other things to be inspired by Anime from”.

Translation: You could have chosen things that I liked instead of what I didn’t.

Had another guy falsely complain about me emasculating men in a story as well, just because my female MC assassinated like, 2 guys by ambushing them (one guy kicked her ass in a frontal fight with a mangled arm and made her run away to sneak him again) and the one fight she DID win was very circumstantial and against an old man. But somehow, that’s emasculation of men. When I corrected him, it effectively whittled down to 

“Ima leave it up anyway. If people think I’m crazy, that’s fine with me.”

Getting feedback like the above is why I dread writing publicly for people sometimes. The comments you get can be absolutely baffling, and I’m sure I’m not the only writer on this site that has to deal with stupid criticisms from people that purposely read stories they know they won’t like to begin with. 

/rant over

Graffiti Wrote: ...

I actually read some of those reviews and yeah, it's beyond frustrating when someone goes out of their way to review something that they're not even interested in. That maliciousness is one of the reasons I'm always hesitant to post my stuff, or will delete something after putting it up. Especially when in a case like this where it's so ridiculously undeserved. 

gwunders Wrote:

I actually read some of those reviews and yeah, it's beyond frustrating when someone goes out of their way to review something that they're not even interested in. That maliciousness is one of the reasons I'm always hesitant to post my stuff, or will delete something after putting it up. Especially when in a case like this where it's so ridiculously undeserved.

Yeah, that’s why I took that shot in the other thread (still sorry about that lol). That post just rubbed me wrong.

Graffiti Wrote:
gwunders Wrote:

Yeah, that’s why I took that shot in the other thread (still sorry about that lol). That post just rubbed me wrong.

That guy complaining about you "emasculating men" would hate the Throne Of Glass series.

At first, I cared a lot since I thought that my writing wasn't that good. So I started off just writing fanfiction. A lot of people give ff a bad rep but it gives you a community of ppl who really care and give you confidence. Now I just write whatever I want, and if I'm satisfied with the result I post it. I know I'm a decent writer, so if someone says otherwise I just brush it off, if it's multiple people tho then I listen since it's probably constructive criticism at that point lol. But writing is more of a hobby to me since I'm currently a stem major in college, so my view may be different from people planning to do this as a profession.

The only fear I have is someone stealing my work. I don't stress over what I have written. There are always rewrites. I take all advice to see if it helps me. Bad critiques used to hurt, but not anymore. You just have to keep writing. Stay at it. Never give up. I won't tell you how old I am, but I've been writing since I was fifteen. It does get a little easier as time goes by. Your brain is a muscle. You have to keep working it. Keep it active. Read a lot. Write a lot more. These are my random thoughts. Take from them what you will.  :-)

I've been insulted on Instagram by someone that has never read my book. It sounded like: I know nothing of you nor your work. But it is garbage.
Turns out my book is now a bestseller amazon kindle in France. Eh. 
It acted like a vaccine because today I just don't care at all about online comments on amazon, Instagram or whatever (if the criticism isn't constructive). 

Quote:Not fear. I write for myself and for fun.

This. x9000

I love RR because people are kind and their comments useful. I'm not here to get praised or roasted. I'm here to learn so I don't have the same approach as on amazon. It's good to be excited by reviews notifications again! 

Yes. 

I didn't comment here earlier because I'm not writing anything on Royal Road. It occurred to me, though, that this might help someone.

Yes. I'm a professional editor. I understand the craft better than most. I wrote good fiction before becoming an editor (actually, it's how I got my first editor job, which is how most trad pub editors get hired by houses), got good feedback when I posted one, and still had notifications that people were subscribing years after I stopped updating it.

Yes, I'm scared of posting my fiction. Everyone is. We're human, as much as we want to pretend we (or our favorite authors) are not. 

The object is to overcome that fear. The opposite of fear is not courage. You can be both courageous and fearful at the same time. The opposite of fear is apathy. You can only be afraid if you care

So you overcome fear by caring about something else more than you care about criticism or silence. Writing is an art, not a science. I don't care about the electricity in my house. It's a means to an end; it's a science, in other words. I care about being able to turn on my computer and do what I love. That's art.

(For the record, I do care about science, but not in that way. Otherwise I'd have stuck with my first career goal in astrophysics.)

There are a multitude of reasons why you might care that hard. Maybe you love the story, or you like bring joy to others, or maybe your family really needs that extra Patreon income. Whatever it is, if you find it, you'll do better than those who simply don't care about naysayers. You'll have a stake in your own art, and that will shine through to your writing.