Re: Film and Visual media in conjunction with a broken Publishing system has ruined the novel

Being "fancy" has nothing to do with it, and that sentiment shows your vocabulary and comprehensions is not so high as you might think. Its about expression, there is a word to convey every emotion and its variance, every texture, shade and hue. yet so many rely on "very" or "dark" or some other vague quantifier instead of using the specific word that would communicate to a reader what they should be seeing. Its lazy. Lazy writers and lazy readers.

Re: Film and Visual media in conjunction with a broken Publishing system has ruined the novel

Meaning can sometimes be conveyed in a single well-chosen if rarely used, word. Often the exact same meaning can be conveyed using several commonly used words instead. In that case, it is a matter of do you prioritize efficiency over a lower bar of entry. That is a valid concern.

However, your original example did none of that. It was just flowery language for the sake of flowery language. In my opinion, it was just mental masturbation. It conveyed no new information, simply dressed the same information up in fancier clothes to give it a false sense of superiority. Writing is about communication, first and foremost. How you get it done is up to you. But being pretentious because it makes you feel superior is only going to limit the potential audience you can communicate with. Not that I suppose you care since you seem fully committed to your stance. I hope you enjoy dying on that hill.

It was an example, one purposefully exaggerated to demonstrate a point. A point that is being consistently missed. Fiction with rich description and language is still written, rare, but it exists. it has inspired me. Readers, such as yourselves, who call complex sentence structures and polysyllabic words "purple" and "flowery" are the issues. Expand your horizons. Use a thesaurus, its a simple right click process in word. Read something other than YA. 

LOL. I had college-level reading comprehension already in middle school (over 30 years ago). I don't need you to worry about my vocabulary. I think the world has much bigger problems with the evolution of written language than the ones you're fixating on. How about an entire generation of young people who learn to write via texting? Those conventions are now making it into the publishable lexicon. We are all in for a brave new world. Either you adapt to how these people are willing to communicate, or you get left behind.

That's the nature of living languages. Go publish in Latin if you don't want to adapt.

A lot of people posting in these forums have already achieved their bachelor’s degree in some field, so they’ve expanded their horizons a whole lot.

Also you have to keep in mind that some readers don’t have the luxury of education that allows them to better digest ‘flowery, complex’ prose. Some don’t even have the time to read so often that they can engage in reading more complexly-structured prose. If everything was written in such ‘complex, purple’ language then you would be dissuading a lot of readers who would like to read but would have a hard time interpreting that type of language. 

Also, saying to readers who don’t have a large vocabulary that they need to ‘expand their horizons’ is very.... rude, entitled, and pretentious.  Yes, you should read to expand your vocabulary, but not everyone has that luxury.  

EDIT: my favorite words in this forum thread seem to be ‘entitled’, ‘rude’, ‘pretentious’, and ‘luxury’ lol. 

readerbreather Wrote: A lot of people posting in these forums have already achieved their bachelor’s degree in some field, so they’ve expanded their horizons a whole lot.

Also you have to keep in mind that some readers don’t have the luxury of education that allows them to better digest ‘flowery, complex’ prose. Some don’t even have the time to read so often that they can engage in reading more complexly-structured prose. If everything was written in such ‘complex, purple’ language then you would be dissuading a lot of readers who would like to read but would have a hard time interpreting that type of language. 

Also, saying to readers who don’t have a large vocabulary that they need to ‘expand their horizons’ is very.... rude, entitled, and pretentious.  Yes, you should read to expand your vocabulary, but not everyone has that luxury.  

EDIT: my favorite words in this forum thread seem to be ‘entitled’, ‘rude’, ‘pretentious’, and ‘luxury’ lol.

Well, you can have good prose and style without overly complex language or syntax. It's very possible to use only common, everyday words and still evoke a really powerful image. You can just look to modern poetry to see that in action. Painting a picture does not require a large vocabulary! It just requires careful attention by the author to painting a portrait with their descriptions.