Re: Author' Notes Uses

I like to use my post-chapter notes to ask my readers questions. Sometimes it sparks a fun conversation in the comments. But honestly, you can put whatever you want in there. Whether or not your readers actually read it is a whole other thing. I will say as a reader, I don't like it when the author puts a warning at the beginning that the chapter isn't their best work or is just a rough draft. If the writer isn't confident in their chapter, it makes me lose a interest. On the other hand, if the author tells me up front they're proud of this chapter then I wanna see what they're so excited about.

The annotations that come after the chapter don't sway my opinion as much because I've already finished reading and made up my own opinion at that point. 

I've really just been using my author's notes to inform my readers if there's going to be a change in the update schedule or something like that. Or sometimes I post links to fanart people have shared on Twitter. 

I don't know if I'd want to use the space to post any sort of commentary on my work. Which doesn't mean I think other people are wrong to do so, I just feel weird about directly commenting on my work like that while posting it for the first time. I'd prefer to let the novel stand on its own. If it's important enough for readers to know, it will be in the story itself.

I give credit to artists I commissioned for a chapter's illustration in the pre-chapter AN where it's the first thing readers see. Sometimes I might show my insight of the chapter/story thus far in the post-chapter AN but not as much, or stating that the next chapter might be out at a certain date.