Re: Ratings?

Hi, I have been writing on here for three months now keeping myself to myself. I have had a good number of views of my work and have been encouraged by this.
Today I got my first rating and my second rating quickly after it. Yay! 

My first rating was a 1.5 and I was slightly disappointed at this but this is my first try at writing and I acknowledge I still have a lot to learn. It is good that someone has rated it. As there were no comments with the rating I was a bit disgruntled as I want to know how to improve.

Shortly after this rating I got a new rating of 5! averaging me to 3.25. I am at a loss now to understand how this can be. I am determined not to get hung up on ratings as I have always told myself I am writing for me. Any explanation of these ratings would be warmly welcome.

Any further reviews of my work would be much appreciated. I came on here to learn and am hungry for feedback. I would be happy to review swap over xmas if anyone wishes just drop me a message.

Thanks Sincil (you can call me Mike)

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

What do you want to do ?
New mailCopy

Well, there are a few possibilities.
Perhaps the 5-star rating is from someone who genuinely enjoyed your story. Which is entirely possible even if another thought it was pretty bad. Tastes are very diverse. 

So is how someone rates a story when they rate. Some try to be as 'fair' as they can be. I mean, it is always still subjective to a degree, but if they give you a 2.5 or 3 stars, they simply want to say that they found your story was average. So if a reader like that gave you 1.5 stars they probably just want to imply that you have an average story with quite a few flaws.

Then there are Readers who see 2.5 stars as stating the story was bad and not enjoyable to read. 1.5 stars would be nearly utter trash for them and 0.5... another user in another thread called giving 0.5 stars here 'physically assaulting the author in a dark alleyway'.^^

So, considering that the 5-star rating came shortly after the 1.5-star rating, it is also possible that one of your readers who didn't rate before saw this 'bad' rating and thought it to be very unfair. Especially since it was your only Rating and could deter future readers from even giving your story a try. 

There are, of course, a multitude of other possibilities. And trying to figure out why anyone gave you a specific rating without a review is pretty much hopeless. Even with a Review, it can be baffling. (Nice story, here... have 2.5 stars ^^)

It's all very subjective. Sometimes there is only a single aspect someone doesn't like in your story and they immediately hit the 'dislike button'. Sometimes they don't even have to actually find it but read it somewhere between lines only they can see... -.- But those cases are very rare, I think. 
What I'm trying to say is: There will be people who absolutely hate your story even if it was a bestselling masterpiece.
And that's ok. 
Just keep in mind that you aren't writing for them but for those who do like it. 

Sadly don't have the time for Review Swaps at the moment. 

I would recommend putting a link to your fiction with a short blurb in your forum signature though. It is free add-space. ;)

Another thing to consider is that some people like to 'troll' new stories they see with no ratings, by giving a pretty low score to begin with. Like care said, someone could have countered that since they liked your story.

Sorry to hear that it was the case, though. 

One person’s trash is another person’s treasure is very much something that applies to readers. Heck, look at even the great classic writers: there are people who swear by Shakespeare’s brilliance as well as those who few physically ill when they have to read more than a few lines. I find as a writer you have to take comfort in those who enjoy your work because you will always find those who don’t.

There is one more thing to consider, RR standard of ratings is quite absurd. For quite a lot of people, 5-star is a 'Like' while 0.5-star is a 'Dislike'. 
I would advise not to take rating too seriously as you will undoubtedly get a mix of both in future, no matter how good your work. 
Ratings represent other people's opinion of your work, not the actual quality of your work. 
Take all ratings with a grain of salt unless they are advanced review and give you a detailed analysis of their rating. Just as they judge your work, judge their judgement before accepting it at face-value.

The fastest way to get feedback for your story is to do review swaps with other authors. I know many readers hate review swaps, but it's their own fault for not giving proper reviews very often.

I look for people offering honest review swaps, since I see no point in just padding numbers.

Half Wrote: The fastest way to get feedback for your story is to do review swaps with other authors. I know many readers hate review swaps, but it's their own fault for not giving proper reviews very often.

I look for people offering honest review swaps, since I see no point in just padding numbers.

That's absolutely true. 

Sometimes you're even lucky enough to find someone who liked your story enough to stay around after 'the deed was done' and keeps swapping feedback with you through comments or private messages after each new chapter.
  peoYes
I only had two review swaps but my rate of finding a fellow author like that is 50% now. 
I probably was very, very lucky there. ^^

I wouldn't worry about the star ratings , which are complete rubbish.  As is rank, actually. What matters to you, or should, is read count. Possibly full reviews, if they appear spontaneously, and then comments if they point out useful stuff. If you end with 500,000 reads, the rating system appears as the fools fodder it is, and your work can go anywhere you want to place it. I like RR, but it is what it is.

Neckbeard basement dwelling mouth-breather here to share with you how it’s technically possible to attain a 5 star review on a story. First, have you ever heard of the American customer at a restaurant telling their waiter "Hello. Here’s your $1 tip. I'll increase your tip by $2 when I get each of the following things: polite service, keeping my drink full, getting my food fast, and keeping the atmosphere nice. I’ll leave right here on the table, let's see how things go." That guy is gonna get some spit in his food, but the analogy is sound.
I do the same thing with my rating on any story I start reading. I give it 1 star no matter what (I’m generous), and when the serial or novel is complete it can earn up to 5 precious stars!
I'll increase the rating every time the author delivers on the cardinal aspects of a quality story that also line up with their summary. But they'll lose a star if they don't clean up their mistakes in a chapter that’s months old, or deliver a bomb of a chapter that makes part of the narrative fall apart. I truly relish the adjustment of the star meter after reading each chapter. So best wishes on your writing, and don’t stop reaching for the stars!

@Robo while I get what you’re trying to say, I think the tipping analogy is a little off since authors on this site don’t usually earn profit and bad ratings can cause them to have less visibility. 

@OP Ratings are pretty subjective though. I feel like writing for yourself is a good perspective. Don’t get too hung up on the ratings, my dude. Your story looks interesting! 

WailingDusk Wrote: I wish RR let you review and rate individual chapters which contributes to your overall rating of the story. So each time you rate a chapter, your total rating averages out based on how many stars you give each chapter. That would give a much more accurate rating IMO. So far I've not seen any site do that yet, but I think that would be amazing. This would bring it more in line with your 'tipping' analogy. You can give and take stars away by determining how their service was each time a writer 'returns to the table' so to speak.

This!

Waiting for a typical web-novel to be complete before giving an overall rating would be pretty difficult, since most are designed to run on and on and on. So you could try to give a rating and adjust it after every major arc or 'book', if you want to call it that. 
But the case of someone actually adjusting a rating once it was given is pretty rare. And in most cases it is done, it seems to be a downwards adjustment if the quality drops or the reader got fed up or offended by a certain story aspect.

People who give a bad rating after a few chapters, usually don't stay around to see if it gets better later on.

So... being able to rate every chapter individually and this playing into the overall rating a single reader gives a story would be pretty interesting. It also would give the possibility to weigh a rating more or less depending on how many chapters you read in total. 

All of this won't solve the problem, however, that most readers simply don't rate at all or only in rare specific cases. And, of course, it won't change that most Ratings will fall on the extreme ends of the spectrum. 
I like the idea, though. Even though I don't know how one would implement something like this without a complete reset of any rating received ever. 

I'll point out that all of the above are excellent reasons why ratings here are rubbish. Siskel and Ebert do not visit RR.  There is no consistency to how why when or where they occur. People repair, correct, revise on there own schedules, not "monthly"  or "daily" and many repairs await the completion of work and viable critique, not to someone else's schedule, and are irrelevant to on-going serials, the basis for RR anyway. Just ignore them.