Re: What was the book that make you want to write?

DrakanGlasses .... The Twilight novel series.

I take inspiration from movies rather than books but one that gave me a powerful feeling of suspense was World of Warcraft: Rise of The Horde.
It showed me at the time how powerfully engaging the written word can become. While I don't remember word for word of the book, I do remember the feeling of being in that world. It was an awesome feeling!

That book was part of the whole feeling, but it is the fantasy world of LoTR to GoT and others that further increased my inspiration for writing.

Robazn Wrote: DrakanGlasses .... The Twilight novel series.

This but unironically.  peogiggle I only ever read the first Twilight book and thought it was okay, but I was completely fascinated by the cultural phenomenon it created. It was one of the first books I watched rocket to fame and change the pop culture landscape overnight. It was really cool to see how influential oen woman's random idea for a book could be. 

I can't point to any single moment. It's more a general lifelong love of stories in all their forms, and a desire to create what didn't already exist. 

Lord of the Rings, perhaps; I grew up reading it, my first attempt at a fantasy novel came complete with its own overly-complicated scripts and diction. Star Wars, one of my oldest and deepest loves, nothing like a good space fantasy. More recently, Brandon Sanderson, with systemized magics and some of the best variants on worldbuilding I've encountered. Dune, Foundation, the beautiful writing of Robin McKinley; countless others. I could list inspirations for days and not run out.

I've been an avid reader most of my life and scribbled without much seriousness off and on for years not thinking it would go anywhere.
It wasn't until I found a number of really good indie authors that the idea of actually finishing a novel started to germinate in my mind.
The book that actually made the idea click though, was Brutal by James Alderdice. The story was a fantasy take on one of my favorite plotlines, tvtropes referrers to it as 'A Fistful of Rehashes' and has a lot of variations and takes but it wasn't until Brutal that the idea of making my own hit me.
Not thinking I'd finish, much less share with anyone, I began writing for fun and now that story is entering into its third book (the fistful plotline was only in book 1 btw).
Weird how that works out.

I don't know if I'm unique in this, but it's not good literature that inspires me to write, it's the really bad stuff. The stuff that makes me throw the book across the room with a cry of "Is this seriously published?!" (bad fanfiction can work the same way for me too, though I avoid throwing my laptop like I'd hurl a book.) I can't remember the name of THE book that was the nail in the coffin of my long-lasting love of SF&F books, because I've managed to induce amnesia in myself, but it was so tropey and badly written and had a horrible barbie-doll OFC, and stupid plot points- gah. 

At that point I stopped being intimidated by the idea of writing, because hey, at least I cannot do worse than that!! 

This was back in the cringy years of middle school and highschool growing up in a highly religious household, but it was the This Present Darkness series by Frank Peretti that first got me thinking that I wanted to craft stories like that, or even within the context of that universe.  The books are basically christian urban fantasy in which things like angels and demons are real and there's this whole invisible war going on around us.  These days, I'm an atheist but I still think the concepts from that series were really interesting.  Just from a fantastic point of view rather than a theological one.

The Great Gatsby, I wasn't sure why a lot of people recommended it, I saw the movie before I read the book and the movie really captured me. Then I read the book and was completely blown away. Fitzgerald is the biggest influence for me and one of my favorite authors for sure. 

I'd love to have some sort of emulation for his style, which is why I feel super pretentious trying to write like him. 
Oh well, everyone's gotta have a hero.