Re: What inspires you to write?

I am sure that I am not alone in feeling a sense of urgency or a deep stimulation when reading/watching certain stories. I mean those stories that set new standards in my mind of what a good book/manga/film achieves and what good storytelling entails. I call these soul-mate stories because I feel that they will accompany me for the rest of my life. 

For example, I consider parts of Hunter x Hunter to be unrivalled in how well they captured my imagination. And I fell in love with Lord of the Mysteries mainly because of the main character and world-building. Back when my eight-year-old self read A Series of Unfortunate Events, I did not expect that my mind would linger on it for years. Or when I was deeply affected by The Trouble with Being Born and found my inner peace for the first time. All of these stories shaped me in many ways, and I am feel that I am a better person for meeting them. 

What are yours? (:

[Note: I do not hope to imitate or even aspire to write a story of similar quality, but I always find myself consulting them while trying to write a story that I would appreciate reading.] 

Writing inspires me because it feels like an intellectual puzzle/process, but not in the sense of finishing a rubriks cube.

I have to think steps ahead to understand the plotholes, the logic of the characters, rewriting the script, getting feedback, while maintaining my own view. While it can be at times be an arduous process, making the reader expect one thing while I create cliffhangers and "didn't see that coming" moments makes the whole endeavour very interesting and exciting for me.

I have forever striven to write Science Fiction like the classics -- Heinlein, Asimov, Simak, Dick.
To weave masterful stories on far-flung worlds, about intrepid heroes and odd-lot monsters.
To lay bare commentary on social constructs, the human experience, and the world. 

But Mostly? MOSTLY?? Most of all? To weave Lit Fiction Nonsense, like the late and great Ray Bradbury. 

Oh to write like Ray. 
To kiss pomegranate lips and see noon in her eyes.
Throwing open winter windows one December morn, to find
Rocket Summer shattered icicles and the reddened skies.
In the swelter-heat of dog-mad days, or February cold 
I want a bucketful of apples
Golden! From the Sun to hold. 
Oh! To write like Ray!

I'll tell you about a turning point in my life about twenty-five years ago. 

First, I wanted to be like Stephen King, Louis L'amour, H.P. Lovecraft, create these massive fucking books that gripped you by the heart and never let go. 
You know, there's a point in time when you finish a really great book and it's done and everyone around you is acting normal, but for you, the world just ended. 
That's what I wanted. Every day was spent slaving away, trying to find the right words, the right nuance, to carry my stories into the light. 

Funny story: I was out and about, wandering the streets, just looking for a quiet place where I could get high and forget the world existed for a little bit, and this dude goes tearing past me and he's getting chased by a plainclothes cop. Shoplifter. It happens. It's a thing. The dude dropped his backpack and kept running; the plainclothes guy kept after him. 
Fuck it, I thought. I picked up the backpack, and it was ordinary school stuff. Dude went to the same high school I did. There was a novel in there. A short little thing, like maybe 300 pages. Took me like an hour and a half to read. It was fucking amazing. 

I had never read such a shitty fucking book before. It was gratuitous in its pandering. All the badasses were hardcore badasses, all the women were hardcore sex goddesses, everyone was over-the-top and each page was that much more ridiculous. Who was this """author""", who thought he could publish this.... filth?
So I looked him up. You know what the fucker did? He wrote two hundred and thirty of these little trashy fucking novels. 

Two hundred and thirty fucking novels. Little 280-300 page books with the most ostentatious bullshit you could imagine. Every page dripped masculinity and raw sexuality. The guy lovingly and (I mean LOVINGLY) described his weapons, his women, his action, his sex, his fights, his car chases, blah blah blah blah blah. It was a fucking travesty. 

Then it hit me: I didn't have to write Oliver Twist. I didn't have to write The Stand. I didn't have to write the Sackett saga. I just had to write and to have fun doing it. 
I had to give up my preconceived notions. I had to give up being fucking ostentatiously arrogant. 

I've read great books. I've read good books. I've read shitty fucking books. I've read horrible fucking fanfiction. I read that stupid fucking "Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way" crap. 

I just had to write and to have fun doing it. What inspires me to write? I want to have fun. 

I'm inspired by basically everything. I read a lot, listen to audiobooks all the time, and love games and anime. 

Probably my biggest specific inspirations would be Brandon Sanderson, for awesome worldbuilding and magic systems, and Robin McKinley for absolutely beautiful descriptive prose. But really, that's just an easy shorthand, touchpoints that can be said when asked 'who's your favourite author'.
To truly exhaustively list my inspirations would be impossible. I don't even remember much of what I've read, nor how it may have marked my inner writer.

I have countless diverse ideas for stories, but basically all in the general vein of fantasy, with some gamelit in the mix because i recently discovered the genre and absolutely love it.

I suppose for mere, its the passage of time. Maybe its sounds a bit dark, but I think a lot more these days about the fact that I'm getting older. I also realize its hard turning writing into a full career, and I have to accept that I may just fade into obscurity, so at the very least I want to write my stories so I can tell myself that I did it, even if no one reads it. Not to say I don't want people to read it, I do, but I suppose that's what inspires me. The mere fact that no one will write my story for me and make my life easier, I have to do it myself if I want to see it become more than just an idea.

If I had to say what inspires me to write, it's mostly because I have a past which I remember very little about. There are bits and pieces of fragmented moments in my life which I barely recall but even then, they're rather out-of-place moments. I try to look back and there's absolutely nothing coherent about my old memories as a child. As such, I write to make meaning of all the dissonant noise that clouds my pasts.

Add a little of fantasy, wild imagination, my passion for science and magic, I thought that I could come up with ludicrous ideas to make sense of something that doesn't make sense, which ultimately might not make any sense at all! XDDDDD

Hope that helps.

The wails and lamentations of my readers, of course.

Other than that, music is a big inspiration to me. There are lots of stories I enjoy. But these days, I mostly find myself enjoying slow burn, nearly slice-of-life style isekai. My current favorite is named "Cooking with Wild Game" in English, though I read the original Japanese web novel. It's about a Japanese chef that dies and ends up cooking tasty food for a hunting tribe in a low fantasy world. That one is in the middle of its 57th book, so yeah... mega slow burn.