Re: Boo hoo, harem bad

I am just putting this up here as a rant, so take this as it is. It seems like everywhere on this site has people whining about it. Be it a forum post crying about how bad harem is, or a story synopsis stating in giant bold letters NO HAREM HERE, it is just annoying. I don't mind harem personally. For me, it is like garbage junk food you can turn off your brain and read while chilling, but I am part of a very small percentage. Newsflash! Nowadays everyone hates harem. Join the club. It is a non-issue, especially on this site. Most harems don't make it any further than the latest updates page, so it's not all up in your face on trending or popular this week. Stories get avoided by virtue of the fact that they have a harem tag, so there isn't really a lot of them even being written anymore. Stop bringing it up constantly. The frequency of people b*tching about harem vs. the amount of it being written is grossly disproportionate. Edit: Just as an fyi, this rant isn't me white knighting for harems or anything. More like me wondering why people are mentioning harem so much when they aren't really even that popular anymore, at least on royal road's little slice of the internet.

The reason people blast it all over is because a lot of young kids and new readers come onto the site seeing a harem in an anime for the first time and thinking it's the greatest thing ever.  We have to kill it otherwise every fiction would have it.  

I went through that phase too back when the Kanokun anime I think it was called came out and thought it was amazing how aggressive the girl was.  

But as I went on, I just started to not care.  Then I realized that the author's of fictions that I am desperately waiting on chapters for are spending a third of their chapters on developing a harem.  

I think the series that really killed harems for me was "Infinite Competitive Dungeon Society".  I LOVED the concept and still do.  I often think of going back and finishing the series.  But the series is just drowned in harem.  And the further into the series we get, the more time we spend on the harem and less on the plot. 

Alexander Wrote: a story synopsis stating in giant bold letters NO HAREM HERE, it is just annoying.

I fail to understand the reason for this? Why does this annoy you? If you like harem, just avoid these novels like people avoid harem novels. 

As for why authors write this specifically in their blurbs is because they might be using a setting that is quite popular in Harem novels. Or they might want to attract readers that specifically don't like Harem.

What I’m hearing from this is that we need to start the new ‘anti-harem’ genre.

Notable Subgenres:
  • All These Girls Hate Me And Keep Running Away
  • Help! My Harem Is Comprised Of Flesh-Eating Parasites
  • This Harem Would Be Perfect If I Wasn’t Gay
  • Turns Out Polygamy Is Illegal In This Fantasy World And I’m Eligible For Parole In Three More Years

Other notable suggestions:
  • Help! Only Old Women In Their Sixties Want Me!
  • Space Alien Women - Xenomorph Edition
  • My Harem Academia - Except I'm a Eunuch
  • Harem Reverse! Every Woman I See I Want. God Help Me! What A SIMP.
  • Goddess Reborn; As a Slug. Slug-Harem Jutsu. 
  • Homeless Harem 2: Electric Bugaloo (TRAILER PARK EDITION) 

Personally, I'd draw a major distinction between people complaining on the forums and 'No harem here!' in a description.  Both are perfectly understandable, and honestly both are in their proper place. But I certainly wouldn't lump them in with each other.

If you can complain on the forum about people complaining about harems, why would you begrudge them the same opportunity? One could start ranting about people complaining about people annoyed by complainers, and it would be just as valid. Granted, I personally would be inclined to laugh at such a thing, but it's not like people should be disallowed from grumbling about whatever is bothering them that day.

Alexander Wrote: The frequency of people b*tching about harem vs. the amount of it being written is grossly disproportionate

I honestly don't think it is. From what I've seen, harem is actually pretty rampant in litrpg and the sort of stories that RR caters to. Granted, perhaps RR itself is less inundated than Amazon or other distributors due to its stricter content guidelines, but for readers coming from other sites I can entirely understand wanting them to understand the level of harem content (or lack thereof) in a specific story.

Csuite Wrote: Notable Subgenres:
All These Girls Hate Me And Keep Running Away
Help! My Harem Is Comprised Of Flesh-Eating Parasites
This Harem Would Be Perfect If I Wasn’t Gay
Turns Out Polygamy Is Illegal In This Fantasy World And I’m Eligible For Parole In Three More Years

ZachSkye Wrote: Other notable suggestions:
Help! Only Old Women In Their Sixties Want Me!
Space Alien Women - Xenomorph Edition
My Harem Academia - Except I'm a Eunuch
Harem Reverse! Every Woman I See I Want. God Help Me! What A SIMP.
Goddess Reborn; As a Slug. Slug-Harem Jutsu. 
Homeless Harem 2: Electric Bugaloo (TRAILER PARK EDITION)

OH MY GOD! I totally wanna write these stories! 😆

I keep bitching about harems cause people are NOT tagging harem in their works.  I have dropped multiple stories where i noticed all the signs of harems, other than the tag.  Btw here's a tip. If you notice that almost 90% of characters male mc interacts with is female, and other males are only used as enemies/ron weaslies. Then  its a harem.

ArDeeBurger Wrote:
Turns Out Polygamy Is Illegal In This Fantasy World And I’m Eligible For Parole In Three More Years

I totally agree! Legitimately, can I use one of these as a story?

As a harem, of course. 

You can’t stop the harems. You have only made me stronger.

Jaredman92 Wrote:
ArDeeBurger Wrote:

As a harem, of course. 

I don't own the ideas!

And let me know when you do - I'll totally read it!

BmustG Wrote: I keep bitching about harems cause people are NOT tagging harem in their works.  I have dropped multiple stories where i noticed all the signs of harems, other than the tag.  Btw here's a tip. If you notice that almost 90% of characters male mc interacts with is female, and other males are only used as enemies/ron weaslies. Then  its a harem.

This. 

"Harem light" is everywhere. 

Jaredman92 Wrote:
ArDeeBurger Wrote:

As a harem, of course. 

Hell yeah you can, atleast the ones I posted. Dunno about the other guy. 

ZachSkye Wrote:
Jaredman92 Wrote:
ArDeeBurger Wrote:

As a harem, of course. 

Hell yeah you can, atleast the ones I posted. Dunno about the other guy.

Thanks! 😂 Then I’ll be going for:

1. Homeless Harem 2: Electric Bugaloo (TRAILER PARK EDITION)
2. Help! Only Old Women In Their Sixties Want Me! 
3. Space Alien Women - Xenomorph Edition    

The Homeless Harem seems like simultaneously the easiest and hardest one to pull off for me. A little drama, tragedy, with loads of situational comedy.

Or I may go in a totally different direction. 😇

Jaredman92 Wrote: The Homeless Harem seems like simultaneously the easiest and hardest one to pull off for me. A little drama, tragedy, with loads of situational comedy.

Aw, Man! I wanted to do the Trailer Park Edition Harem. 

Po, po-dunk! Don't give a flying hillbilly funk.
House fulla childrun and a yard fulla junk.
Po po po po po po-o-o... Po-Dunk!  😄

altough i read Harem stories most of them arent that good and i always wondered why the mc is even bothering with one. Its insanely difficult to entertain one and relationships are a give and take so what exactly is the appeal? If he wants sex with all the waifus (and thats the only reason he has a harem, the bullshit with i love all of them is just to fool himself) why not just Casual sex without commitment? as long as the MC is clear to the readers(!) about that he is only wooing them to get into their pants im okay with it thats atleast not so hypocritical. If they fall in love with him thats their fault but i barf everytime that the MC is saying he loves Girl XY for real and not just to placate her.

ArDeeBurger Wrote: Hmm. You know, it is not inaccurate to say that a person is capable of loving more than one person at the same time. 

Polyamorous relationships exist and always have, where there is mutual consent with all people involved. 🙂

Thats the thing though,  the way harems are shown are nothing like poly relationships as far as i know.

Not to turn into a rant but The main reason i dislike harems is cause most of the time the females are shown as inferior : they are collected like pokemons, they reluctantly accept being in a harem cause "the mc is so awesome and they love him so much", their personality usually devolves into harem member N *, they turn into damsels in distress etc