Re: Greetings!

Hello everyone, i'm TheHex.

Though my account is around 1 year old, i only just started using the site 2 weeks ago. Some nice folks on reddit recommended this site to me back then and i made an account, but i was still too shy to try and publish something here. The reason being that english is not my first language.

I'm generally a very shy and quiet person, but i'm gonna try my best to reach a broader audience through english.

Hmm, what else to say... Well, i've been writing for around 5 years, i guess i'm an aspiring novelist? I mainly work with Dark Fantasy, Drama, Tragedy, Horror, Romance and Smut. ( Yeah, smut. I tend to write some spicy stuff even though i'm shy. )

I don't know if the structure i usually use will work well in english, but gotta start somewhere.

That's it, i guess... Thanks for reading!

Yeah, English isn't my native language either and I was very unsure about the 'quality' I could achieve with it. But I wanted to reach an audience as broad and diverse as possible so... English it was. ^^
What do you mean exactly with 'structure you're usually working with'? Just curious.

Good Writing!

Greetings from me too. Don't let the fact that English is not your native language hinder you in any way. Many authors on the platform, myself included, are non-native speakers. I have found out that if you have a compelling story, the community is pretty lenient about the mistakes we non-natives make. My readers have been very helpful and have contributed greatly to improving my work.

I hope you have a great time here and share some amazing stories with us. 

Welcome to Royal Road. No need to be shy here. Write what you want, the way you want to. Check out the FAQ section under Support to learn more about the site and it's rules. Smut is allowed here (within limits) as long as an appropriate content tag is used. I hope you enjoy your time here and that your works draw many readers. Good luck.

carebear90 Wrote: What do you mean exactly with 'structure you're usually working with'? Just curious.

Hmm, i meant the text structure, as in it's organization/elaboration. Maybe i phrased it in a bad way? I tend to go for a more simplistic, less descriptive approach.

Welcome to the show! There's been some great novelists in the history of English language literature that did not have English as their first language, so let that be a source of inspiration rather than shyness! I know, I know, easier said than done, but still, it's just all about practice.

I think people who write in another language are incredible. Wattpad is home to lots of users the likes of which know english as a second language. I never judge their structure because of that, and am always awed by their ability to write in a language they don't think in---I mean writing is so hard already, I couldn't imagine translating my thoughts into another language as I did it! I am new too, so I will check out the book you posted:)

Welcome to the Road :) I'm bilingual French/English, and I find Frenchisms or some French sentence structures occasionally slip into my writing, but rereading usually prunes that out. Or sometimes I leave it in if it makes sense, because it can give a certain unique flair :) The main thing is to have fun, non? Which language(s) do you speak?

Mal Wrote: Welcome to the Road :) I'm bilingual French/English, and I find Frenchisms or some French sentence structures occasionally slip into my writing, but rereading usually prunes that out. Or sometimes I leave it in if it makes sense, because it can give a certain unique flair :) The main thing is to have fun, non? Which language(s) do you speak?

My first language is Portuguese, i also speak English, Spanish and Italian. I have a degree in linguistics and literature, but... It has not been that useful in the job market... Heh.

TheHex Wrote: My first language is Portuguese, i also speak English, Spanish and Italian. I have a degree in linguistics and literature, but... It has not been that useful in the job market... Heh.

That's a nice package of languages :) I'm living abroad for a few years and mastering Spanish (or is it mastering me...?) which will hopefully bring me up to 3.

Of course that degree and that knowledge of the differences in languages and how they shape our thinking may be why you are hesitant to write in English; because when you know what a mountain it is to climb, to write/think/express-every-nuance in a language that's not the one of your birth, it seems insurmountable. But keep in mind that 90% of the people who post stuff on most sites don't know what a participle is, treat the oxford comma like it's got rabies, think proper spelling is optional, and have paragraphs that switch POV, tense, scenes or what-have-you halfway through and end up somewhere strange and mysterious. Royal Road does have high standards I find, but none of us are perfect for all that, and many take this as a chance to improve. So go for it XD

Hello, TheHex! Welcome to Royal Road! Like you, I was pretty shy too for a while and finally decided to start publishing my work here.  If you need help or have questions to ask, I often find the forum threads to be incredibly helpful as well as various kinds of writing tips! Many of the people I interact here with are nice, and I think it's cool that you like to write a variety of genres! Hopefully, you'll meet a good number of great people here too!