Re: Fellow Scientists of Royal Road!

I was going through the forums and noticed that quite a lot of people in science-y fields are active here so just thought I'd try throwing a fun question out there.

What's your specific field and what statistical or lab software do you usually use, if any?

I'm in epidemiology (from biology), and I use STATA and sometimes R. Both of which I have a love-hate relationship with.

elmerwynn Wrote: and sometimes R. Both of which I have a love-hate relationship with.
Oh, I hear that! 🤣 I've also dabbled with Octave, SQL and Python in my time too.

I studied straight chemistry and ended up in analytical labs afterwards. So most of what I do is chromatography or spectrography.

This is why when I write sci-fi it's always soft sci-fi, otherwise I'd end up in a rabbit hole researching stuff to make sure it's plausible and it'd take me years to write.

elmerwynn Wrote: What's your specific field and what statistical or lab software do you usually use, if any?
I have a degree in Telecommunications and Physics, of which I have not really used either, having made my career in Computerized Inventory Control Systems using PLC Ladder Logic circuits to run applications written in C++ . However, I am also old. I remember the first internet, where six computers the size of apartment buildings were strung together using tin cans and copper wire. 

I worked on the computer that was based in Cleveland. We used IBM punch cards to program the thing. You had to wear hearing protection if you wanted to retrieve a printout, as the room where the teletype printers were located was so loud you could go deaf. 

AND... You Are A KITTY!!! 😽

I'm a storage engineer. 
Basically, I'm the man behind the computer behind the computer behind the computer behind the websites you use on a daily basis. 

So, here's how it breaks down: 
First, there are storage controllers, which are small computers hooked up to huge shelves of hard drives. <--- This is where I am.
Those hard drives are logically aggregated, divided into logical volumes. 
Those volumes are then sold off to providers, who dump VMs into the volumes. <---- Google, Facebook, Apple, Yahoo, banking and government offices, Blizzard, et cetera. 
All those VMs then host content stored on logical hard drives called LUNS. 

So when you go to google or facebook or whatever, you're loading a webpage that's hosted on a virtual machine that's using virtual hard drives to store the webpages. 
All of this is completely transparent to the rest of the world. Let's take Royal Road for example: They probably approached a hosting company and said "we want a server". The provider says "we have just the thing!" and everyone thinks it's a big metal box that whirrs and clanks, but what it most likely is, is a virtualized server sitting in someone elses' block of virtual storage that in turn sits on a much larger machine nobody knows exists. (except me, because I work on them.)

It's a lot of fun for me, because I get to work with all sorts of giant corporations and government entities that rely on me to keep machines they don't even own, running.