Re: Does a Staggered Release Schedule Discourage You to Write?

I post twice a week and I have anywhere from 10-15 chapters sitting on my computer, already written but not yet posted.

The reason I do that is because I have a very inconsistent schedule do to my job and family. Sometimes, I have plenty of times to write, but then there are days where I don't even have the time sit at my computer. Also, sometimes my motivation is low or the ideas aren't fully formed in my mind yet, so forcing myself to write would yield subpar results. For that reason, having a buffer to maintain a release schedule is best.

The other reason that I do it is so that I can let the writing sit for a while. When you're writing in the moment, you don't see the mistakes and plotholes that are formed. When you have a fresh mind that doesn't remember what was written, you can see more clearly where it is lacking. Maybe, you've developed better ideas to flow and mesh with what you've already written later on. You're better able to see how that chapter fits in as a whole.

But of course, that's because I don't procrastinate. I enjoy writing my novel. It's a fun distraction from normal life, so I don't find it a chore to start the next chapter as soon as I have the time for it.

I've been writing all my life, but I've never been very prolific, and I have ADHD so I have a really hard time motivating myself to do things (even things I enjoy doing) without some sort of outside structure or motivator. Since I started a webnovel with a set update schedule I've been writing more and more consistently then I ever have before in my life. So for me it's highly motivating. Just knowing that there are a handful of readers waiting for my update is enough to get past my executive dysfunction and motivate me to write. Maybe I don't always get the best results, since I usually write the new chapters last-second, but at least I get results. 

I write when I feel like it and publish when I am ready such things as I wish to put up.  I suppose a release schedule is good way to encourage keeping after a story, but I wouldn't  confuse it with an imperative, as if you were under contract. Its a nice goal to shoot for but if it stresses you out, maybe you should rethink it. If you have a backlog of material to mount, its really not a problem, but if you don't, I'd focus on how ready the material I have is to be shared yet. I am certain it is beneficial in terms of the site traffic to release consistently, but I am not sure rushing tattered material up doesn't negate that.  Just work at your own pace. If you don't feel in the writing mood, I wouldn't take it to be a disease. Treat yourself well, look for your muse where you last left it.

I wanted to stick to a schedule of releasing a chapter every two weeks, but I also missed the validation of having readers excited about new releases the moment I was finished with them.

The solution I found was to make a Patreon account where I would privately release chapters to patrons the moment they were done, and keep up the regular single chapter biweekly releases for public readers. Even if you don't have (m)any patrons, I still found it to be a good motivator for continuing after my latest chapter was finished.

I write every day and post every day (Though I am 100 chapters ahead of release and I maintain that for editing purposes), so I can't exactly relate to this- but technically I don't have to write. If I wanted to I could take a day or even a month off or 3 and still upload, but that would be reducing the overall quality of my writing and I'd feel very guilty for doing so.