Re: Low View Count

Can I just say how much it bums me out when I see stories with hundreds to a thousand pages, with only a couple hundred views. Like, that just kills me on the inside. I mean, what the fuck did that person do in their past life to deserve such a fate.

This kind of touches the question of when do you consider your story a success or failure, which I've been seeing bounced around on the interwebs as of late. And I gotta say (well not literally), barring whether or not your story was actually good or not, which of course matters, your views are the biggest of deals. I don't even care about high ratings or favorites or having active commenters. All of those things can be explained away, like people just didn't have the same taste as your writing so they rated it low, or people forgot that favoriting was a feature, or people just didn't have anything to say.

But what sane, just reason is there, to allow such an injustice as a low view count for a story that is consistently pumping out the content?! None! I say none!

*shakes head* It's just... it's just messed up man...

I know forums are supposed to be spaces for discussion, but I kind of just word vomit what I'm thinking and assume that that will make others think things too, that they may or may not wish to share.

Happens. It's sad for the folks but there's not much you can do when people don't wanna read your stuff for some reason. You can change the cover to a better looking one, work on the blurb and the first chapter. If most people click on the first chapter and it isn't appealing then they'll walk away and the view count will stay low no matter how many chapter's released.

I once received a review on a certain site where a man wrote- I kid you not- a 1000 word essay questioning me as to why I wrote so much of my story despite my low view count. 

It was a pretty heart wrenching read as the author, especially given the truth of his words, yet there was a lot of toxicity and blatant insults which made me think that perhaps he was not someone I should really bother listening to. After all, there were at least a few readers at that point who were caught up to my story, and so at least for their sake I was happy to continue writing. And I myself of course love my own story, so I didn't see any reason to stop. 

If I were to compare my story to other stories, well.... there are hundreds out there with more views and a hundred times less chapters. But would I call my story a failure?

Absolutely not. 

I love my story to death, and even if nobody recognizes it, I at least enjoy it- and a few of my very loyal readers. Those people alone are enough for me to remain motivated. 

Whenever I see my follower/favorite count on the dashboard (on my way to clicking the content -> New chapter button), I try not to let it get me down.

In the end, I'm writing this for myself.  I have a story I want to tell.  If people don't like it or want to read it, then they'll fuck off and read something else.  I'd like to be appreciated, but in the end, I'm not doing this for a living, so I'm the only one who needs to be happy with my work.

And I am pretty pleased.  It could use a good polishing, but I wrote 155,000 words in three and a half months.  About 500 pages worth of a paperback.  And I like the story I've written. 

Keep your head high.  If you're happy with your work, keep writing, and remember you're doing it for you, not them.

Jahx Wrote: Whenever I see my follower/favorite count on the dashboard (on my way to clicking the content -> New chapter button), I try not to let it get me down.

In the end, I'm writing this for myself.  I have a story I want to tell.  If people don't like it or want to read it, then they'll fuck off and read something else.  I'd like to be appreciated, but in the end, I'm not doing this for a living, so I'm the only one who needs to be happy with my work.

And I am pretty pleased.  It could use a good polishing, but I wrote 155,000 words in three and a half months.  About 500 pages worth of a paperback.  And I like the story I've written. 

Keep your head high.  If you're happy with your work, keep writing, and remember you're doing it for you, not them.

^ This!  peoapproval

I was the same. I used to be obsessed with numbers and would always get discouraged when I lost a follower or the views didn't even reach two digits, but then I realised something; I am writing this for myself. I am thankful and grateful for those who decided to stick with me (despite the quality of the writing, which I am trying to improve), but ultimately, I am writing this because this is something I want to read, and I like the universe I am developing. I have been working on it for far a long time and it would have been a shame if I threw away all the world building/lore, concepts, characters, etc.

Dubs Wrote: I once received a review on a certain site where a man wrote- I kid you not- a 1000 word essay questioning me as to why I wrote so much of my story despite my low view count. 

It was a pretty heart wrenching read as the author, especially given the truth of his words, yet there was a lot of toxicity and blatant insults which made me think that perhaps he was not someone I should really bother listening to. After all, there were at least a few readers at that point who were caught up to my story, and so at least for their sake I was happy to continue writing. And I myself of course love my own story, so I didn't see any reason to stop.

What? Wait, are you serious? Just because of-no, that's not even the important part! Why the heck would someone do that? That's one of the reasons I'm guessing there's a lot of writers out there who just won't share their works. That's horrifying. I'm glad you didn't let it affect you too much.

I also have to say one thing about the view part, I would have been 100% fine, even if only one person read and enjoyed any of my books/fictions/stories. To me, it's not about how many there are, it's how dedicated there are. Even if a lot of the views I get on each chapter is probably by someone who just clicked to check it out(I'm guessing that, due to my extraordinarily messy view counts) I like to think that there's at least(as of right now) 7 people who enjoy my work and follow it sincerely. And, while I have no idea who they are, I appreciate them. It only adds to how much I enjoy writing even more. I wish I could thank them, though. I guess I can think of a way to do that through my story, but as of right now, I have no idea.

Also, I've been told my signature is annoying for some reason, so I'm not displaying it for now, until I figure out exactly what was wrong with it. So if you want to read my stuff, I think you can click on my profile and go to my fictions if you want.

Very high page count and very low read count on this site tends to mean one of three things:

1) They crossposted the site from elsewhere and dumped all their chapters at once which means nobody actually saw it to read it. Writers assume they don't have to market and people will just discover the story on their own which unfortunately doesn't happen much these days.

2) The story has year-long hiatuses and random breaks and the story's pace has ground to a halt for ages. This one is quite rare because older stories tend to have higher views in general, but I have seen it.

3) The story is very poorly written and the first several hundred pages are just not up to snuff.

Some stories experience low views and high page counts even without these things, but those tend to be the ones that are just not good fits for the current RR readershup. Maybe one day that'll change for them, especially if they are still good.

lil_chicken Wrote: What? Wait, are you serious? Just because of-no, that's not even the important part! Why the heck would someone do that? That's one of the reasons I'm guessing there's a lot of writers out there who just won't share their works. That's horrifying. I'm glad you didn't let it affect you too much.

So this review occurred when I was about 150 chapters into my story, this guy literally read the first 10 chapters and made the following review.

"I dropped this here. Honestly, everything aside from the character creation has been a slog; I was hoping that nightmare mode might improve the story but.. whilst I like the weak to strong dynamic, it feels very poorly executed here to the point that the MCs are so weak that it's just frustrating to read. The only way for them to survive is to literally hope for luck as the author 'AuthorSME' wrote in his A Tail's Misfortune, "luck is for the weak and the strong make their own fate." The only way for them to get stronger is to rely purely on luck, there is no ability for them to be considered skilled or talented. I just can't respect or like characters who have no ability beyond pure chance (even the idea of dumping all points into luck stat is still a choice and not as bad as this.)

The only character I find remotely relatable is Ashley. Trevor and Garett come off like Robots and Samantha is just straight up annoying. I don't even want to know these characters.

The world setting doesn't interest me. The seeming lack of originality in the classes puts me off.

All in all this seems like a very boring, frustrating read. I can't help but feel you've wasted your time writing this (and mine reading it, but I only have myself and my stubborn attitude to keep reading hoping it'll get better for that.) Only 69 readers this far in. I wanted to like this, really I did. But it's just so.. bleh. It's like every terribly generic fantasy isekai JP web novel combined, taking away anything interesting or unique, throw in some random teeny bopper/child 'humour' (spikey hair gel? Really? That's funny to you?) and somehow came out as less than the sum of it's parts. And I'd know, I've read hundreds of them, from Death Mage who doesn't want a Fourth Time to Slime Datta Tensei and everything in between, for some reason my mind's drawing a blank on JP webnovel names because I've read thousands of novels by this point and most of them were a 6, maybe a 7 at best because of their generic (and thus forgettable) nature.

My point is; what is this man. What are you doing. Come on. This is like a bike with training wheels, the only people it appeals to are people who have never read anything before, your concepts are that basic. Though for such a person, you'd need to explain what the stats are etc, because they wouldn't know, so you don't even really hit that reader demographic.

It actually frustrates me to see that, you have the dedication to write hundreds of thousands of words; but THIS is what you do with it. It's like Thor using Mjolrnir to roast a chicken and just like said chicken after being hit by Godly Lightning, it's inedible.

Most authors write some 20k-30k words with an extremely interesting premise, but give up because they think they're not good enough writers or their story didn't go the way they wanted. I've read stories that have literally given me goosebumps and made my heart race, with less than 10k words before the author vanished; you have no idea how irritating, frustrating and all manner of negative emotions come to mind, it is when the novels that do get enough content to be at a point of binge reading, that this is what gets put out there. It's like going to a high class restaurant and they've hired a teenager from McDonalds to cook the meals. Your novel is the frozen, microwaved meal that's still cold in the middle; when there are Chefs who can blow people away with their cooking who are unemployed or working at a fucking Lobster Shack or Hooters just to make ends meet.

This is somewhat unfair to you, but you're part of a much larger problem and I'm so fucking fed up of the repeating cycle of somehow trash novels being the ones that could have provided days of entertainment, vs the actually good and unique novels that get dropped or go on Hiatus with an hour or two worth of binge reading.

It's like, you know when you go on Twitter and someone says something asinine like "we need to stop pollution!" and they somehow get thousands of retweets, but the guy with the tweet that actually proposes solutions and holds elected office where he can make an actual difference only gets like 80 retweets; it's exactly like that. It's like no one cares about anything real, with actual substance to it, they just want the basic platitudes, the surface level comments. Your novel is like the surface level comments with no real substance that somehow keeps getting retweeted and shared by people. And yeah, that's probably really harsh, but again, you're just part of a MUCH larger problem. I think what the problem really comes down to is like, a writer's form of Dunning-Kruger syndrome. Dumb people thinking they're smart and thus somehow succeeding in competition against actually intelligent people who second guess themselves and can actually analyze risk, so because the dumb people don't have any foresight for risk, they just go ahead and take reckless actions that somehow work out. Bad writers thinking they're great, whilst the great writers are too nervous and unwilling to get their works judged negatively so they just stop writing altogether to "rewrite" or go on "hiatus" and in the end, ALL OF US lose. The stories they keep in their minds are the ones we'll never get to read and I find it depressing and aggravating."

Now, when I was reading this review, I was somewhere around 250 chapters into writing the story, and without question I could say that almost every single thing he nitpicked on here was just..... straight up wrong. As far as the luck thing, he couldn't be more wrong. Perhaps if he actually continued the story he would have seen that? As far as the characters and world originality goes, I mean.... he only experienced like 1 or 2 locations and the world hadn't really opened up at all at the point he was at, and I purposely made my characters..... extremely dislikable for the sole purpose of taking those dislikable traits and molding them so that they were flawed yet likable. 

As far as the humor went, I think most of it just went over his head. The thing which he referred to as humor wasn't even meant to be humorous, so.... yeah. Furthermore, a grand amount of the humor comes much later in a much darker sense, far beyond anything he read. 

Point being- what is he doing? He reviewed a story that had 150 released chapters, criticized me on every aspect of my storytelling based on the first introductory chapters, and then yelled at me for continuing my story? There were many things which he simply didn't get to which I had planned. And.... I understand that my storytelling skills were not as good when I first begin the story as they are now. However, that doesn't mean I should just quit the story because it didn't start out as anything mind blowing. I still enjoyed writing it, and refuse to be ashamed of the work which I produced. 

Right now I am working on my 16th Volume of this story, and it's snowballed into a complex plot so grand that I personally don't spend a day where I am not excited to continue with these intricate workings. I know that at the end of the day my story won't ever be shakespear or gatsby, but I can't even begin to express the amount of enjoyment I have when I read, plan, write, and edit my own story and characters. The fact of the matter is, if I enjoy it.... then I am going to continue writing it. And yes. That is arrogance on my part. Sure. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop writing just because someone tells me I'm being arrogant by thinking my story is good when it really isn't. 

Holy fuck that was a mean review.

In regards to humor, that is the most subjective thing about writing. It's hard to write something 'funny' and have it land with everybody. In fact, I'd argue that you will never write something comedic that is funny to everyone. 

Don't be disheartened about 'writing so much' either. That's how you practice and improve. 

The writers who post 5 amazing chapters then go on hiatus never get better since they aren't writing. 

I write one of these stories.  It's been ongoing for almost 3 years, 250k words, with infrequent updates and I get about 50-100 views per chapter that will slowly climb into the mid hundreds over a long period after release.  I've had 3 reviews, all of them positive.  About 25 ratings, average of 4 with a couple super low ones dragging me down like everyone else.  I have a relatively infrequent update schedule, which is certainly part of it.

The thing is though, I write as part of my job all the time.  It's difficult and intensive because I'm mostly writing research papers.  Writing here is just for fun, a way to do something to blow off steam and stay sharp.  Honestly viewcounts and ratings are nice, but they aren't my motivation.  I'm not here to get on trending.  I just post online to keep myself honest and make sure I'm exposing the writing to feedback.  Sometimes I write chapters that turn out wrong and I know they're not what I intended and I still post them anyway because the goal isn't to create something perfect, it's just to create.  If 50 people get enjoyment out of that, that's cool.  If 100 get enjoyment, even better.  

It's important to remember that everyone comes here for different reasons.  I read a lot of stuff by people that are clearly ESL and just writing to get practice with the language, for example.  I think its okay to be here for whatever reason you want, writing whatever you want.  For some authors, that has little to do with viewcounts and ratings.

ZachSkye Wrote: Holy fuck that was a mean review.

holy fuck is literally the same exact thought I had. He wasted his time writing a review, to complain about someone wasting his time, to the person he thought wasted his time. When it was himself that chose to waste his time in the first place? And damn, that was indeed all wrong. What the literal fuck is that? He is part of the much much MUCH larger problem. The people who discourage, or try to discourage writers. Do you think he realizes how many people would be absolutely crushed by that? Imagine a young kid with hopes and dreams getting something like this on their first work, one they feel they worked hard on. A kid who, if they hadn't been discouraged, might have eventually written the best book in existence. People only grow over time, so encourage them. While my concept of good and evil is super fucking skewed, I still believe in encouraging others, if not only for the sake of making everyone more efficient and useful to me after I complete my goal of world domination(Okay, dream. Not goal. Plus there's much greater goals I'd rather aim for anyway.) Again, super skewed obviously, but even to an evil person it's a good idea to make people think that what they do is good. Only an absolute idiot denies someone completely. Now, if it comes to something that requires quick thinking where a single mistake is fatal, that's one thing, but this is literally the opposite. I think I read a story somewhere about someone who had been doing training on some sort of medical job, and was at the scene where someone was stabbed. There was a knife stuck in someone's chest or something, and they pulled it out and pushed it back in because of how nervous they were.(don't quote me on this, I don't remember it well.) This killed the person, obviously. Their mistake caused someone to lose their life. They were banned from ever working in that field again or something. now that? that I understand. But for a fucking story? A book? Seriously, that guy should get a life. If he doesn't like it, he should just write something himself. I know that a lot of the writers on RR are writing for exactly that reason. They're open about it, and I respect that. Now that response? That's actually commendable. You add to the community positively. What I think about his review? He can't write a damn story himself in the first place if he whines that badly. Advice? Constructive criticism? Yeah, that's good. But that is not advice. In fact, I believe there's a term for someone like that. Human. Not a person. A human. Vile vile things.(I think you will understand what I mean by that, and how to somewhat interpret or differentiate things if you read my stories, but essentially he lacks any form of empathy. He is no longer a person. He's just an animal that can speak, read, and exist. In this case it's obviously an extreme exaggeration, and I wish no true harm to the person, aside from violently stubbing their pinky toe on any nearby counter whenever possible for the next few months.) but god damn. That just pisses me off for some reason. If you want to blow off steam about bad stories, find a way of not being an asswipe about it. Ugh. My view on good and evil is that it is a human made concept. it is not an undeniable law in the universe, and it has not existed for eternity, and it will not exist once sentient life similar to ours disappears. For example, I believe this current era frowns on human sacrifice, correct? It used to be seen as an honor in times long past. Now it is bad, then it was good. Who knows, maybe murder will eventually be smiled upon again sometime in humanities future? If so, I can't cast absolute judgement, but I can give my own opinion for the here and now. 

My opinion is that that dude is a fucking asshole. :/

Quantity isn't the same thing as quality, and some work is mis-marketed to the way wrong people. If someone doesn't like the first of ten thousand pages, they sure as hell aren't going to read the rest, just because they are there.

What is interesting to me, is that each chapter clicked on (whether thoroughly read or not) adds to the story read count. Thus a low total count on stories with huge numbers of chapters, means that however many original readers he had, obviously they gave up reading any future chapters early on, or the numbers would have continued to go up, even if only say twenty-five people were consistently reading forward. If  story has 100 chapters it only requires five readers to follow those hundred to generate a book count of 500 clicks.

I think some folks might not stop to think that a book with a rational chapter count of twenty to thirty five parts, perhaps a standard 270 page novel, needs to achieve hundreds, even thousands, of people reading each chapter to achieve anything like the sort of total counts some long running serials with only moderate readership over hundreds of parts can achieve. (Especially ones that have been around long enough to collect them.)

I do not see many people becoming so agitated over the flaws in a story so egregious as to motivate them to posting a lengthy diatribe. But I can see a few, who  might feel sickened that an author might go forward without making:
 A. The least effort to correct bad prose, even when errors are pointed out, and
 B. Show no improvement or attempt to improve over time.

This would be an irritation to say, an author who puts sweat and blood into creating something of worth, and feels offended by an extreme  case of not caring. The proper response is heaving a sigh, shaking ones head and going on to something else of course, and strewing pearls before swine rarely achieves anything save wasting time. But for some, it appears to be a perceived civic duty. 

All that said, there are trolls who get off on that sort of thing as well. There is no excuse for blowing off all sorts of nonsense about what other writers do, think or had for breakfast in a review. Pontificating on such has nothing to do with a review or the review guidelines and are speculations not opinions in any case.   So, depends. As the man said, "I don't know the guy," 

ZachSkye Wrote: Holy fuck that was a mean review.

I think it wouldn't be wrong to use the term 'entitled asshole' here. 

I mean, it seems like this person never heard of 'constructive criticism'. There were a few parts in there, but they seemed to be more accidental to me. Like the ting about explaining what different terms mean for readers that are new to the genre. Now, I have no idea how valid that point is since I don't know the story. And I myself dislike if things get 'overexplained' in stories I read.
The only thing I'd take away from this rant is going over my first chapters again and see if I could improve them in any way after constantly refining my craft for so long. But even that is very vague 'advice'.

What is far more disturbing about a... review(?) like this are the personal attacks. How are you part of any problem? You aren't keeping those writers he liked from continuing their stories. You can't even be 'accused' of 'taking' anyone's spot on any visibility providing rankings with your comparatively low view count. You didn't take anyone's 'job away'. You're simply sharing your efforts with whoever wants to read them. That's like ranting at your neighbour, who asks you if you want to have some leftover meatloaf, that by doing that you're keeping the chef that lives across the street from offering you a five-course meal out of the goodness of their heart. Ludicrous.

This seemed to me a very jaded reader who couldn't deal with the fact that they didn't find something new and proceeded to rage at the wrong person instead of the void. And of course, a person who seems to think that writing skill is pure talent instead of work and steady improvement. 

As I said. The only thing I'd take away from something like this would be to check if and how I could improve my first chapters. But even that is a big 'IF' here.

carebear90 Wrote: This seemed to me a very jaded reader who couldn't deal with the fact that they didn't find something new and proceeded to rage at the wrong person instead of the void. And of course, a person who seems to think that writing skill is pure talent instead of work and steady improvement.

Exactly this. I look at his review and just think, what is he even talking about? How can he complain about writers who write 10,000 really good words and then just quit? I think he fails to realize how much effort likely went into those 10,000 words. If he wants everyone to just be a genius, then tough luck. Geniuses don't just pop out of nowhere. The reason why stories of excessively good quality are rare is because of how much effort and work it takes to get to that point- and his own rants are actually discouraging these writers, scaring them off. 

That's the thing that pisses me off the most here. He blames me for something which literally, I have absolutely no correlation with. He says that my writing takes away from these 'good authors' somehow. He complains about how the good authors disappear or are too scared to release. Yet it is EXACTLY because of reviews like this that the good authors are too scared to release!!!! It's exactly because of people like him that the good authors stopped writing after putting their souls into those 10k words, because people like him scared them away even after they took such efforts!! And yet, somehow he blames me- another author. 

ImasKelly Wrote: I’m new to this platform and chose it because it seems to be mostly original writing. I’m more familiar with the fanfic circuit and I’m so surprised at the low view count too! Not sure if it’s just not as active on here or there’s a niche market? :)

Unless the story blows up, for whatever reason, it's all about consistency of posting. Some people will join RR and then dump a hundred chapters immediately. That's generally a bad move. You'd be better off staggering that out to two chapters a day. For the most part, it's all about visibility, so if you dump a bunch of chapters at once, you're doing yourself a disservice, assuming you even care that is.

As for RR's market, Litrpg does the best, and wuxia/xianxia/fantasy can all do great as well. The novels that do the worst are things like traditional romance novels. Sometimes you might get a flavor of the month, so to speak. Right now, RR's flavor of the month is Time Loop/Looping stories. So if you satisfy the flavor of the month, you may also see an increase in your views.