Re: Someone here is familiar with visual novels?

I write in a number of different styles and POV's.  "A Forgemaster of Wayland"  was writ in an intentionally visual and visceral style purposely, as an experiment, if that is what you are looking to template.  It does OK here, and you are free to thumb some of it for examples, if you like. Find another few authors that have that or similar visual styles and thumb them all, would be my take, were I preparing to write one of my own.

If you mean a graphic novel or comic, I dunno. Don't think the ability to embed graphics here is great enough for that.

FAHyatt Wrote: I write in a number of different styles and POV's.  "A Forgemaster of Wayland"  was writ in an intentionally visual and visceral style purposely, as an experiment, if that is what you are looking to template.  It does OK here, and you are free to thumb some of it for examples, if you like. Find another few authors that have that or similar visual styles and thumb them all, would be my take, were I preparing to write one of my own.

If you mean a graphic novel or comic, I dunno. Don't think the ability to embed graphics here is great enough for that.

A visual novel isn't a novel written in a visual style, nor is it a graphic novel or comic. You could have at least googled it before you started spouting random stuff in reply.

You're looking for recommendations for visual novels, I guess? Most visual novels are dragged on because of all the slice-of-life stuff, so I tend to skip some parts. But if we ignore that, I really enjoyed Steins;Gate, G-senjou no Maou, Clannad, Air, etc. you know, the famous ones. Everlasting Summer is great and free on Steam, and Katawa Shoujo is good too.

There's also Sepia Tears and The Letter on phone.

Luiyo Wrote: I want to make one base on the world of my book, and I want to know what you guys consider good.

in visual noval (VN), you mean a computer game that is basically a novel with pictures and sounds, and sometimes a few choices that affect the story-line?

if so then:

1) there is a website dedicated to record all existing VN with over 1000 to 10000 titles: vndb.org (take heed, 90% of all VN ever created are actually hentai)
2) the best VN of all times which you absolutely need to play/read before making ANY other VN is: Fate / stay night
there is a site named mirror-moon that has instructions on how to install and play it
3)if you want a few more good VN:
G-senjou no Maou - The Devil on G-String
Sharin no Kuni: The Girl Among the Sunflowers
no one has to die (flash game, play this before flash is dead, it only take 1 hour and it is amazing)
999 (not my favorite, but many in the was like it, better play instead)
ever-17

muv-luv alternative (it is acutely the 3rd in the serious and yo must play the first 2 to get the full experience)
4) if you also want to also read VN with good story but not afraid of the hentai, then try:
critical point
bible black
sengoku ranch (not pure VN, its a strategy game but very good, you can learn something from the way it mesh strategy game and story telling)

fate stay night (FSN) is absolutely the best of the best of VN that exists. it has 3 routes, and for every route, there was an entire anime show, expat for the last one, that has 3 MOVIES, and the last movie aired this year sold 270,000 tickets in japan alone on its primer.
there is a site named mirror-moon that has instructions on how to install and play it. you probably have to torrent it, and its hard to install, but it is 500% worth the trouble.

more however, FSN make the best use in the tools the medium give it beyond any VN i have ever played:

1) all the plus of anime: the game use situational music and a few tricks to make illusions of motion with a single picture and sound effect and speech.
this give it to use all the things an anime can use.

2) all the plus of reading a book: the developer use the full effect elements you only see in book and cannot be translated to screen, such as: metaphors , narration, inner monologue (half the writing here is inner monologue actually),

3) choices: the player can make choose and fall into bad ends, but even the bad ends has a meaning to the story (but not required, but its best if they are experienced)
for example, in the first route, the bad ends teach you that not moving forward despite the risks, will end badly.

4) the 3 routes: each of the 3 routes is actually required to play in order, each route is a story in it self. the same story but developed differently, but the core of each story is totally different. and. the 3 routes combined feel like a continuous story even if it the same story form the beginning

i can talk a LOT more on this masterpieces that have entire japan had over heel for it.

IMPORTANT:
1) do not watch the anime fate/zero before playing this (fate/zero anime is also very famous),
2) do not fully judge the game before completing the 2 route at least/ the last parts of the 2nd and 3rd routes are some of the best story i, and many others, have ever experienced, and if you ever find somone he played the VN, he will voche for that 100%

I used to own a lot of older Visual Novel titles. 
There's a lot of tutorials on how to make them. I can't remember if the engine of choice is onscripter or n-scripter. One is japanese, the other is the english version. 

One that hasn't been mentioned is Tsukihime. It's a very old title (used copies go for about $1,000 in Akibahara, and yes, that's one thousand dollars) but the combined text is like a million more words than the entire LOTR trilogy combined. 

I wrote a term paper on Visual Novels, and thoroughly pissed off my professor because all the references were in Japanese and she couldn't read them. I'm a dick like that. I also aced the course, because I'm swag like that. 

Some non-ero visual novels I'd recommend are
Planetarian and Narcissus. 

I was on the team that translated Cross Channel, Saya no Uta, and Chaos;Head, though that was just proofreading and beta-testing patches. 
I did a little work on Katawa Shoujo, but it was so little it's barely worth mentioning. I suggested a couple of codefixes that didn't work at all because I didn't know nearly enough about what I was doing. 

Overall though, there's three things that come together to make a Visual Novel: 
1. The story.
2. the art.
3. the music. 

A regular novel can give you the story; a comic book can give you the story and art, but only a visual novel can give you the experience of reading, seeing the pictures, and hearing the music that all combines into the story. 

+1 for the Muv-Luv games... though I've stopped playing Alternative in August after completing episode 6 because it ended up being too long and got in the way of writing.  peocrying It's rich in detail and the Alternative story is intriguing, and who doesn't love human vs human political struggle under the thumb of alien extinction? It's best to play the previous one though, usually called Muv Luv and Muv-Luv Unlimited.

Some others I've played were the Danganronpa games, which aren't technically visual novels so much as they are murder mysteries, but they're still worth checking out.

There was another one I enjoyed; Steins;Gate 0. I enjoyed it a lot and personally found it emotional but a lot of my S;G friends didn't like it at all.

I had created a visual novel with some of my friends before as a pilot project while we were free. I was not the writer and only helped on editing. it's still on VNDB.
We were called EVE Project.

It was very amateurish but we had fun. Here is the link.

http://eve-project.blogspot.com/p/one-billion-rupiahs-girl.html

The difference between VIsual Novel and novel is this.

Visual novel is less wordy. More dialogue than descriptions because it is limited by the textbox size. It can be linear or branching.

Good luck on your VN