Re: What is the most unique aspect of the world's created in your fiction?

I use both anthros and ferals in my world, which seems fairly uncommon.  But I never really liked the idea that everyone is just forced vegan or cannibal, because every single creature on the planet evolved.  The animals that did evolve to sapience still farm chickens and cattle and have zoos and pets.

For the anthros themselves, there are only five species.  There were more in the past, but like ancient humans, most of the other died out.  I was really fascinated by process of human evolution, and how there were like, seven or eight different species of human over time, some of which lived alongside Homo sapiens.  

Each species has different “mixes,” so V. mammalia will have foxes and lions and bears and things, which can breed with one another.  The offspring’s mix is determined by the father, so a tiger and a lion would not create a tigon or liger.  The baby would be whatever animal the father is.  But a tiger and a kangaroo cannot have children, because the kangaroo is a different species (V. marsupialia).  There’s also reptilia, amphibia, and aves (birds).

It’s all secondary to the actual story, but it establishes a lot of rules for how things will work down the line.

My story, Ash and Bone (well, this is actually a side story to the novel I'm working on), has what I feel like is a pretty interesting and unique magic system. I don't want to give away too much, but using the magic has a cost that can completely change the user over time. The closest thing I can compare it to is the taint in Saidin in the Wheel of Time. It doesn't exactly drive you slowly insane, but has parallel repercussions.

In Sisters of Rail: Mages live in hives and have a unique gender based role system.

Casters are scouts, guards, hunters, and fighters
Drones are general labourers, the lesser skilled workforce
Carers are responsible for teaching, medical work, entertaining and parenting
Conjurers produce food, goods, materials, and also art
Seers are basically the 'research and development' department
Hexmages are a special offshoot of seers

Each has a particular colour they tend to use for identification (in clothing, hair, or tattoos) and each has abbreviations used to refer to them like we use pronouns.

A project I'm working on is about a certain region of our world being sealed away by magic, existing in a pocket dimension.

There is a unique species of Opossum there that isn't afraid of humans and wanders around, eating. It's like a rat or pigeon, but generally seen as a harmless animal, often kept as a pet. They like to climb on the shoulders of the good hearted.

In my story, Ascendance of the Old Blood, it would be how magic interacts with human history, being something that was widely understood and seen as commonplace in the past, but then began to be seen as little more than fairy tales and the creative invention of old historians. Magic did not actually fade away from the world in that period though, it´s most prominent users just went off of the public stage, and what still showed up of it was either seen as just a fabrication or a fake, or it was explained with a new ideal: Super heroes.