Re: What do your stories mean to you, how and why do you write?

Whoever reads this I guess, the question I would ask is how many words or chapters do you have stockpiled or write over certain periods of time. Like, do you write like crazy because you enjoy it, or are you just writing out of obligation or something weird like that at this point. Do you limit the amount of time you dedicate to writing each day? Or limit yourself to how many characters/words/chapters/books you write in a day? I probably need that last one, but I'm just curious as to how everyone else sees their own story. I mean, I can't see it from your point of view, obviously. But if you point out a new perspective on it, it might be pretty interesting to understand what your story means to you. Mine represents the world inside of my head(and the idiot that is incessantly shouting at me inside of it. He called me a prick for writing that. ;-;). I probably mentioned this in another post on writing, but I have ADHD, so my writing comes from my continual train of thought. I don't feel lost in every way when I'm writing. I only feel immersed in my story. I like reading and all, but I think writing has just felt a lot better. That's why I write. It helps me with a few of my mental issues pretty much. Or did you do it trying to prove something? I don't think there has to be a reason why, and to the people that just don't have any they can think of, it isn't a requirement. You don't really have to have a distinct reason to do things if it comes to stuff like writing, in my opinion. This is more asking the people that have an extremely solid reason for why they write why they write. I assume a lot of reasons are personal, so I'm not exactly expecting many answers, but I'd love to hear them if you want to share them. There's gotta be some pretty interesting stories out there imo. Even just saying "I just wanted to" or "I just did" as a reason is valid, and that would be interesting info in it's own right. It makes me think "I guess there doesn't have to be an exact reason" which helps too. Ah! That's the term. 
What drives you guys to do what you do?
And
Do you enjoy writing?

I too write to share the ideas floating around in my head. Many times those ideas are unformed and it takes writing them out to truly flesh them out. It's so enjoyable to see how the ideas evolve and the different characters emerge seemingly taking on a life of their own. For me, it's creating characters which is my greatest joy. Writing can be a double edged sword, I can't wait to write, but other things get in the way, sometimes as an excuse to not write. Once I start writing, it's wonderful, but sometimes it's just so hard to start. Why do I write? First, I enjoy it. Second, it provides an outlet for my crazier ideas. And thirdly, and it took me a while to realize this, I just enjoy sharing what I've written with others.

parkertallan Wrote: I too write to share the ideas floating around in my head. Many times those ideas are unformed and it takes writing them out to truly flesh them out. It's so enjoyable to see how the ideas evolve and the different characters emerge seemingly taking on a life of their own. For me, it's creating characters which is my greatest joy. Writing can be a double edged sword, I can't wait to write, but other things get in the way, sometimes as an excuse to not write. Once I start writing, it's wonderful, but sometimes it's just so hard to start. Why do I write? First, I enjoy it. Second, it provides an outlet for my crazier ideas. And thirdly, and it took me a while to realize this, I just enjoy sharing what I've written with others.
Same. It's fun here. Seriously. :D

I write because I saw people making thousands of dollars a month on Patreon writing out descriptions of skills for video games that don't exist and figured I could write something at least as entertaining as that. So far, I have been proven wrong in that assumption. But that's not going to stop me from trying to jump onto this bandwagon. I write the kind of story I'd want to read, where cute girls go on fun and happy adventures, and I'll give that at least a few more months to take off before dropping it and writing a story about cute girls leveling up and talking about the mechanics of fictional video games instead.

I have no stockpile beyond my next chapter and don't really enjoy the actual act of writing itself. Although I enjoy thinking of ideas to write about, actually putting the effort in to get those ideas on paper is a chore.

That does make sense, I guess. Wait, thousands? Seriously? That's pretty cool. I don't have a patreon so I can't really try to make money from this like that. I guess I could make an account, but that's not really going to help me much. I doubt anyone would pay for it, because I don't think I would pay any attention to it. Patreon is the thing with the subscriptions, right? If not I take that back. The enthusiasm is something I can respect, but personally I do enjoy the act of actually writing it, too.(ADHD. I fidget a lot. If I'm moving my hands while I think, it takes away one of the issues.) It is a chore normally, though, I would assume. I also write the kind of story I'd want to read(Because I read my own stories for fun. RR has some useful tools to keep track of stuff, and I can get free advice while I'm at it, which is incredible. Amazing community.) Since I can't say I actually know any of the nuances from this kind of stuff, I don't think I'm really cut out to do the whole 'writing as a job' thing. I do, however, get incredibly happy just when I look at how many people have read my story. So doing it for free is honestly fine for me. If it comes to making money on RR, though, from what I've read it's not exactly easy if you aren't serious about actually putting work in, and I am incredibly lazy and flakey. So even if I tried it wouldn't be more than chump change anytime in the near and most likely far future. I admit that the more I look at it, the more it does seem like a pretty easy cash grab. Then I remember that any of the stories that succeed do so out of an unthinkable amount of others. And then I give up on that idea. I'm not a very good writer, after all. That's why I came here. To get better. And so far, thanks to everyone here, it's working.

And I also agree with you on the last part, Apocryphal. A lot. And I mean a lot. Well, I guess some things would be a pain to deal with if they were, but definitely not enough to change my mind on that. As for the escape from reality part, I think I'm the opposite on that. I have a hard time registering stuff properly, and often zone out. I'm pretty sure it's called derealization. I see and talk to myself from a third person perspective pretty often without realizing it. While I write I become focused on what I want to do. Of course, the moment even a damn pen drops my train of thought derails, crashes, and burns. Then it explodes. As for the dominant brain thing, I have an odd issue about that myself ;-; I guess it technically isn't all bad, except it is. The benefits don't outweigh the things I lose because of it. Not that it's too bad, exactly, but I have autism(if you want to ask what kind, I don't mind, but I literally have no clue. It's just in my medical records. That stuff isn't a touchy topic for me, luckily.) so, Brain power +1, literally everything other than science and maybe a few other things -2. And then when I can finally do things. Wait, ta-da! ADHD. Brain power +1 negated! Congratulations! Then I get F*cking hit by a damn truck and go to another world where my brain ain't so broke. The world in my head. The one that isn't broken. So I absolutely understand you when you talk about it keeping away depression. It's really quite soothing. 
Thanks as always, guys :D

My number one priority in pretty much any media is characters; I like meeting interesting characters, watching them interact with each other, witnessing their character arcs, thinking about what human traits they represent and how that can apply to me in my own personal life and philosophy, etc

And I write because I wanna continue that train, I guess. I wanna make characters who represent different elements of the human condition. I wanna express some thoughts I have on these different traits and ideals, work out some thoughts that are still muddy in my head, and maybe give other people some characters to become attached to or learn from, if anyone's interested in reading it I guess, ha

I also wanna make my characters punch each other really hard. That's a big motivator, too

I write because new and sudden ideas keep sprouting in my mind but they are actually just small bursts.
Only when I begin writing can I actually imagine them more vividly.

And when I begin imagining something...seeing it to the end feels like the right thing too do.

Ya, there are a few ideas that I've begun but have paused for now but I'm determined to see them through to the end at a later date.
But well, by that time many new ideas regarding it will sprout too.

So, I guess, for me. writing is just a way to put my ideas into a more concrete form!
All in all, it's just soooo muchhh funnnnn! (Okay, it's a bit irritating too when I can't  figure out how to put what I've thought exactly how I imagined it) but when I can finally complete it...it's very very satisfactory!

I write because I get characters and/or scenes stuck in my head and I found that the best way to stop them going around in my head forever is to write them down. Some get expanded, others barely get looked at again.

I also love creating characters, delving into their personalities and history and everything. What makes them tick and why do they do what they do?

Plus I like writing, when I have time.

I started writing because one day I just thought "I'm such a weirdo developing stories in my head during my free time, why not start writing them down before I start forgetting what I came up with? I'll be able to save them forever that way, and perhaps some random people will find them nice."

And here we are, where I have a lot of fun writing all the stuff and also fangirling over the fact that so many people enjoy my work. And it's quite weird because that 2-year-old story from my head which was supposed to be written down has stopped at 1st chapter, while I got a flash of inspiration for the BIAW series and now also TWS (the one in the signature).

So yeah, I'm writing because it feels nice to just sit down and make your memories permanent. That 2-year-old-action-adventure-fantasy one will arrive at some point when I have a healthy amount of chapters ahead for BIAW and TWS and I will finally finish my last year of master's uni, damned thesis. I wish I could slow down time when I write so I can write a lot more than I do now.

Who knows, if the gods of fate allow, I might start writing full-time someday. But that's nothing more than a pipe dream currently. I'm happy that someone actually enjoys my writing already. I want to give my readers a lot of content.

As for backlogs, my aim is to have 10+ chapters ahead just in case something happens to my time. For my BIAW series, I have 10-11 usually and for TWS I'm currently at 8 and going for 10 during all my free time in between classes and projects. It's damn hard. Especially when you were usually posting 2 chapters of the former and 3 of the latter a week. But, that somehow doesn't make me slow down, I just completely love sitting down and writing stuff to the point where I spend almost all my daily time on it. People say I will burn down quick, but it's already 5 months since I started and I have way more ideas for new events in my series and even a list of countless premises for completely new books! I just lack the damn time!

My stories need to have some meaning to me or about a subject I enjoy.  My current story is a literal self insert, as it's loosely based upon a dream I had years ago, that's effected me ever since and remember it.  Often thought about what the dream would mean, and such.  So finally putting down on paper the dream and the story that's been in my head for a while.  The story is becoming much different then it was originally, but enjoying it.  Almost a bit of self therapy to write it all done :>

I like everyone’s answers, these are giving me a lot of stuff to consider. I think some were decently similar, but there was none that weren’t unique. I think it’s incredible that there are so many unique stories and reasons behind everyone’s personal goals. It really shows me that all of you have a lot of passion for your writing, be it to write for others, or yourself, or even nobody at all. The even more amazing thing is that this is only a small part of the amazing authors on RR. So many people, so many reasons. And despite there being so many different situations, all of them are here, on RR, writing and reading. I’m just thinking that it’s a shame some people are too nervous to post what they write, or even start writing in the first place. Imagine how many amazing stories there are, from incredible worlds, we just don’t know, all because we can’t read them. I wish it was a bit easier to help people with that through a screen. I mean, I’m not writing extremely good stuff, they are basically my rough drafts that I uploaded while I’m working on making it sound better, but because of this community I feel more motivated to do so. So I decided to post it, and I just uploaded my ninth fiction a few minutes ago, actually. While it’s not much, I was pleasantly surprised that a few people seemed to actually read everything I had put up. I’m not here for that, but it does make me feel like I’m at least doing something right. Though, I’m going to say that my analytics thingy is probably pretty pathetic. Well, I do have a question about that if anyone knows the answer. Nobody seems to give any ratings or reviews. Honestly I’m not surprised, and I’ve gotten at least one(kinda), but I was hoping it may point out glaring issues with my writing. *sigh* Anyway, to sum it up before I start rambling even more, you are all amazing people. Remember that. Even if there is someone who reads this that doesn’t write, or post, or share their(amazing) work, I wanna say that it applies to you, too. You are all awesome. :D

Personally, I write because I truly enjoy it. I enjoy honing the ability to invoke thought, imagination, and emotion through words on a page. Reading books like the Harry Potter series as well as the Star Wars Legends books has unleashed something inside me that I believe has always been there. I love to escape, if only for a moment, into some other place - a realm where my thoughts and ideas can come to fruition. Videos, movies, they take so much planning and work to me, to visually give someone something from your imagination. Writing takes planning too, and practice, but it's such a pure art form that is simply between you and I. If I can write something that makes you feel like you're there - like you're following Harry Potter as he attempts to learn his next spell, or is brooding in his dormitory about life as he watches rain fall through his window in the high tower of Gryffindor - then we've both just experienced something our imaginations are somewhat sharing, like a collective consciousness. I love to write, whether it's poetry (sometimes if I'm in the mood), my fantasy novel about a young boy in Oregon who inadvertently steps into a world of wonder and also darkness (inspired by, you guessed it, Harry Potter), or Star Wars Edge of the Empire: Life & Death on the Rim, a story about a young Corellian pilot who grew up reading stories of Han Solo, shares a similar upbringing, and is now thrust into a life among a mercenary crew, escaping and searching for missions and credits throughout the galaxy far, far away.. 

The fact that I can not only listen to music and just feel the emotion of every word and paragraph I write, but to be able to give someone else that experience too, maybe even a lesson, or to understand other people and their emotions more, that is why I write (:

I'll leave the links below to my stories if anyone's interested, and it's been a pleasure expressing myself in this format.

H.C. OGDEN

I write because I love stories, I love creating, and I want to share what I've made with the world. But I also just want to read it myself, honestly. If I want to see something like x but with y and not z, and no one else has written it yet, I might as well do it myself. :-3 I haven't gotten to the point where any of my favourite books are self-authored yet, but I do enjoy my stories.

I don't ever try to stop myself writing, when I have flow happening I try to ride it as far as possible. Last night, for instance, I wrote four chapters of a new story in one insanely inspired sitting, then stuffed it on patreon and got back to work on my current projects. I usually end up with between 325-375k words per year, so a little under 1000 words per day on average. Though that number is heavily skewed by writing months and dry spells.

Generally, it's more a struggle to stay focused than to hold back. I could easily chase a new story idea every day if I let myself, the biggest challenge is staying loyal to a story once its initial excitement wears off and its down to trudging through the hard parts. But it's worth it. I spent years never finishing anything, and when I go back and reread them now I always regret them stopping without reaching the end; I don't want that to keep happening, even if it's a lot of hard work to get there.

Asviloka Wrote: I write because I love stories, I love creating, and I want to share what I've made with the world. But I also just want to read it myself, honestly. If I want to see something like x but with y and not z, and no one else has written it yet, I might as well do it myself. :-3 I haven't gotten to the point where any of my favourite books are self-authored yet, but I do enjoy my stories.

Generally, it's more a struggle to stay focused than to hold back. I could easily chase a new story idea every day if I let myself, the biggest challenge is staying loyal to a story once its initial excitement wears off and its down to trudging through the hard parts. But it's worth it. I spent years never finishing anything, and when I go back and reread them now I always regret them stopping without reaching the end; I don't want that to keep happening, even if it's a lot of hard work to get there.
These. These two, especially the bottom one, are a really good example of something I feel someone should keep in mind when starting to write something. everyone does follow their own style, so it's more of a suggestion in my opinion. Specifically the part about finishing a story you start. I feel a lot of people probably have a problem with that. Also, why not just continue writing on the ones from back then? Though, I'm not exactly normal when it comes to that stuff. It's been barely a month and a half since I started writing, and for the amount of my content I have put up(not even close to all of it..... Editing it is a pain, and I habitually edit things when uploading a chapter, including the edit chapter option, which I adore. And especially when I think of having to eventually go back and rewrite it to make it sound better.) which is around 118,794 words. And that was me holding myself back so I don't kill myself out of exhaustion. I slept a little last night, thankfully. Usually I don't. I write to the point of straining my eyes and thumbs, so it makes me pretty tired. That's not something I think people should do, by the way. Writing yourself to exhaustion isn't really a good idea. what was I saying? Oh, right. I Agree with the finishing a story you start thing. Mine is pretty damn big, so I don't know if I physically can write that much in a single lifetime.... but I'm doing it anyway. I only have 9 of the fictions up right now.... I think there's quite a few others. I do know that I should be editing and submitting the magic tower saga right now, but I can do it later. Sorry, still tired, btw. As I often say in my comments or messages, ignore anything nonsensical or stupid, I'm too tired to even spot what's wrong with what I'm writing. Oh, and as for the ones that are fanfictions, That Ogden was talking about, that gave me an epiphany, so I have to say thanks. I never really thought of fanfictions and their effects on understanding a different kind of worldbuilding. It can take place either in the original world with the original characters, The original world and new characters, the original world and both characters, a new world with original characters, a new world with new characters(Still a fanfiction because from my imagination, it's basically the same rules, but a different world. I'm not sure exactly what one that doesn't follow that would be like. Kinda like a loose relation or something? If it is a new world with new characters and new rules, I think it can classify as an original work at that point, just a heavily inspired one, right?) there's more, but I've dragged this on for long enough. Either way, thanks to both of you guys, and as I've mentioned previously, anybody else who is here. :D

lil_chicken Wrote: Also, why not just continue writing on the ones from back then?
Mainly, because I've lost the thread of it. I mean, many of those stories are from ten, fifteen years back. The writing is so bad compared to what I can do now, the flow of my sentence structure was different, the plots develop weirdly. I couldn't possibly emulate it to continue on, and if I were to do anything with them I'd be more likely to start over in a new draft entirely. I have rebooted old ideas with reasonable success in the past, but they're vastly outnumbered by not-yet-started stories.

There is also the fact that I only have so much time and creative energy. When there are hundreds of stories that are all waiting to be told and I can only work on a handful at a time, it's just low odds that any specific one will happen to grab my attention when deciding what to focus on. 

Just between the two projects I'm currently working on, it'll be most of a year at least before I have time to add anything new to the slate, and probably two years or more before they're properly finished. I don't think I'll have time for a new major project until near the end of 2022. And yet, in the past week I've come up with five new ideas for stories I could write. Granted, it was an unusually productive week, but still. Even if I only had a single idea a week - heck, even if I only had a single new idea a month - I'd still always have progressively more potential stories than I could ever actually write.

It becomes a balancing act, of finding the right project for the right time, and then finding the strength to keep going until the end.

Asviloka Wrote:
lil_chicken Wrote: Also, why not just continue writing on the ones from back then?
Mainly, because I've lost the thread of it. I mean, many of those stories are from ten, fifteen years back. The writing is so bad compared to what I can do now, the flow of my sentence structure was different, the plots develop weirdly. I couldn't possibly emulate it to continue on, and if I were to do anything with them I'd be more likely to start over in a new draft entirely. I have rebooted old ideas with reasonable success in the past, but they're vastly outnumbered by not-yet-started stories.

There is also the fact that I only have so much time and creative energy. When there are hundreds of stories that are all waiting to be told and I can only work on a handful at a time, it's just low odds that any specific one will happen to grab my attention when deciding what to focus on. 

Just between the two projects I'm currently working on, it'll be most of a year at least before I have time to add anything new to the slate, and probably two years or more before they're properly finished. I don't think I'll have time for a new major project until near the end of 2022. And yet, in the past week I've come up with five new ideas for stories I could write. Granted, it was an unusually productive week, but still. Even if I only had a single idea a week - heck, even if I only had a single new idea a month - I'd still always have progressively more potential stories than I could ever actually write.

It becomes a balancing act, of finding the right project for the right time, and then finding the strength to keep going until the end.
I see, while I realize I don't do things like a normal writer, I constantly get new ideas, my mind won't shut up about those new ideas, either. It sounds like a crazy person's talk, which I won't say that I'm not insane, but it's just a ton of voices in my head screaming at me. They distract me all the time, but they all seem to focus when I write. So I write so much due to how fast my mind races and the fact that I've started to use it as a calming method. I'm working on all of the 9 fictions I have simultaneously depending on my mood that day, and I just start writing away. I don't stop very often. So I have a lot stored up even though I mass released stuff randomly. Of course, I'm pretty sure that it will eventually catch up to how much I've written and my releases will slow considerably, hopping between stories randomly. Though, since I'm not posting for views or anything, it's not a problem to do that as far as I can tell. There aren't enough people who read my fictions to complain if I started to release slower I don't think. Check it out if you want, but it's honestly not the best. The one with the lime and the black background is the current main focus in the series. Again, I have no idea how well it's structured or written compared to other people's writing, because I'm pretty much tone deaf when it comes to that stuff. I think. Another reason could just be that it isn't particularly entertaining or interesting, which I'm still fixing. RR has given me a lot of help with this. I use it to not only store my more edited rough drafts, but I actually edit it when I upload it. Again, the edit chapter button is the best thing ever. Oh, I also go back and reread my stories multiple time for fun and to find and fix mistakes or things that just sound weird. Hopefully there aren't people who like my story so much that they would get upset if I didn't post for about a month or something(depends on stuff). I would feel kinda bad then. Anyway, I think you can click on my profile to find my fictions, or this link should work hopefully. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/37871/an-otherworldly-tale-the-apocalypsea-school-saga    <- Again, no idea if that works like I think it does

Anyways, as always,
:D