Re: "Thanks for the chapter "

The mechanics of thanks and your welcome ? 

There are many ways to express gratitude or appreciation, and many ways to accept it.  While rather a formality in most situations, it is also an opening for dialog, an invitation of sorts to express yourself and pass a few words with someone new, much as a handshake or greeting is.  It can be responded to formally with several returns, such as returning with thanks for reading, or your welcome. Or, used as an opportunity to ask for expansion, as in what did you like best? or other query.

FAHyatt Wrote: The mechanics of thanks and your welcome ? 

There are many ways to express gratitude or appreciation, and many ways to accept it.  While rather a formality in most situations, it is also an opening for dialog, an invitation of sorts to express yourself and pass a few words with someone new, much as a handshake or greeting is.  It can be responded to formally with several returns, such as returning with thanks for reading, or your welcome. Or, used as an opportunity to ask for expansion, as in what did you like best? or other query.

Yeah, but it gets annoying when it's the same person on every chapter that's like "thanks for the chapter and first to comment". I have one guy like that on my story. And while I hold no malice toward them for doing that, despite it being annoying to me, I sometimes wish they'd just not comment that. At one point I had like, twenty notifications from them that was simply "thanks for the chapter" when I woke up. Really is pointless imo.

I must be the only one that feels it’s unnecessary and can do without it judging by the responses, and now I feel like maybe I’m just annoyed by “thanks for the chapter” spam for nothing? Lmao. 

I don’t know. I guess that since I don’t do it for the fictions that I read and follow along with, I kinda don’t like it when people do it to me? Feels pointless after the first few times. Could just say “thanks for the story” once and be done with it.

CoCop Wrote: I don't usually respond to them, responding to every comment is a short path to madness, but I do appreciate them.  There's enough negativity on this site that a simple pro forma 'thumbs up and thanks' is appreciated.

I might not comment, but I do notice.

Except for popular stories, I try to reply to every single comment even if it's a path to madness, because even "Thanks for the chapter" warms my heart.

The worst feeling in the world is when "Thanks for the chapter" readers stop commenting and you never find out why... Treasure these commenters while they last

overthinking things such as this is one of the reasons, I think, that so many authors feel negative, stress-related issues with writing. it's a feedback loop that constantly makes one think there should be more said or a desire for additional words of encouragement.

at the end of the day, the most you should expect to get from a random stranger is a thanks or small gesture of appreciation. this is completely normal.