Re: Recommend Me Stories! --- Connecting Avid Readers and Emerging Authors

Keep in mind that assessing will appear slow on RR because I cover other writing platforms too. But, I'm still updating and posting a new story daily on the Archdale Virtual Bookshelf site. Thank you for your patience! :)

@Tearing Sanctuary
Your story has been read, assessed, and posted on the index!
(late notification as I forgot to send this message yesterday when I posted haha)

Hello everyone, hope you all are well!

Each day, a new story is posted onto our website, so we're steadily going through all the book recommendations received across five writing websites including RR.

Special Update:

We're holding a music-related, one-shot writing event in celebration of hitting over 100 members on our Discord Community Server! So everyone here is welcome to join in on the fun competition this week. Additionally, we're holding an art giveaway too for book covers. As reminder, the Discord invite link is this https://discord.gg/QQSpcmu.

I have a few recommendations, relatively new and updating.  Only one of them is mine:

ThanaTopiary by Gej302.  Reincarnation, light LitRPG elements, isikai, slice of life and semi-cozy story.  A man dies and is reborn in a world of magic, quite literally as an infant.  His talents in math from his past life and curiosity about magic from his new one lead him to a light bit of adventure.  Relationships and introspection figure prominently.  Recommended for all ages, and anyone who enjoys a good slice-of-life story with a bit of magic.  Very few grammar issues, and the author is responsive to edit suggestions if and when he misses something,.

In The Shadow Of The Builders by Just Me Lee.  Post-apocalyptic slice-of-life cozy.  Lavinia is a tinker amidst the ruins of a fallen technological civilization.  She loves gadgets and old things.  Her search for scrap and salvage leads her to a Builder, a relic from an age long past.  Recommended for all ages, especially those who love quiet little tales over those who prefer grand adventure and thrilling action.  Grammar is largely tight and neat, and the author is also responsive to edit suggestions.

Return to Sol System by me (Dan Lane).  Old school sci-fi adventure story.  Mankind returns to its home system to find out what happened after they fled alien invasion generations ago.  The story follows the crew of the Celerity as they investigate a graveyard of ships where the last Human Navy died protecting the Earth.  Suitable for teens and up, anyone who likes adventure in a sci-fi setting is encouraged to give it a shot.  I also accept and welcome any suggestions, comments, fan theories, and criticism.

Thank you so much for doing this!

I'd like to leave my story here. It's a gothic horror / dark fantasy series, about a group of magic users possessed by mysterious entities known only as "Archons" setting out to explore their world and discover its mysteries. And maybe kill God. It's a bit what you might expect if you threw some Madoka Magica elements into the Soulsborne series: transformations and magic attacks, but in a grim, gothic world with a heavy focus on mystery and exploration, with some "boss fights" and cool enemies. The tone is serious and mature; there's little to no humor (except of the dark or gallows kind) and the characters are all adults. It'll deal a lot with mental illness and, while romance itself won't be a central part of the plot, the relationships between the characters will and there is bisexual representation.

“A man must not be without shame, for the shame of being without shame is shamelessness indeed.”
– Mencius

Therefore, even if it is shameful I'm recommending my own work, haha. (Literally just laughed while writing this)

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/40999/death-before-the-beginning-fantasycomedyadventureaction

Now that I've snooped around the website and discord a bit more, I must say, this seems like it could be THE initiative to bring readers outside the usual scope of webnovels into the medium. I think that's one of the biggest hurdles to having it grow past its own confines. Authors like me, who don't write in the most popular genres are especially affected by this and struggle to build a community even more. So I'm really excited for this and plan on starting doing reviews for everyone in the Discord with Horror and Dark Fantasy stories soon! Gotta help out people in my own niche, plus I'll be reading stuff I know I'll enjoy. 

One question I have, though, is how's the author to reader ratio? Authors are usually readers as well, of course, but it's not our main goal. Initiatives like these tend to be flooded with writers and not have enough readers trickle in and end up collapsing under that the weight of that imbalance. Have you been spreading the word about the website and discord to any places outside the usual webnovel reading platforms? (The fantasy subreddit comes to mind, they usually are all in for this kind of stuff!)

If anyone knows of any platforms that would support the initiative, I think it'd be great to drop them here as well, so we can help it grow! 

Firstly, thank you everyone for the new recommendations! It's exciting to have new stories to look forward to reading.

@Crisyah
I appreciate your enthusiasm and am glad to have you as part of our Discord community! To answer your questions, right now, the ratio of readers to writers is about 1:2, so there are indeed double as many writers as readers currently on the Discord. While some writers are also readers, the majority have chosen only the writer role and not both. And some didn't choose either role, so I don't know about 100% of all the members so far. However, I did expect more writers due to the nature of the project (as we support publishing and offer writing help too) and Discord in general when beginning this server. Writing servers are more common than reader-based ones with most conversations dominated by writing discussions rather than reading/book ones in servers that are both writing and reading.

With that said, that's why instead of just making another Discord community writing server (which only began recently since the relaunch of this project in 2020 after it first began in 2019), Archdale differentiates itself with a story index website. This aspect is being used by readers more than writers. Readers find stories and navigate to the writing platform linked in order to read. I'm confident of this due to my observations of the website traffic and activity. Also, although I haven't asked this of any joined writers since I can understand they might feel it's taking away their audience, more readers could join and outweigh the writers easily if they shared Archdale to their readers. But currently, I'm more focused on building the library of stories listed on the website, establishing a robust server, and letting everything process naturally and grow organically. Pushing the numbers is not a priority as much as a solid, active community and large library of stories.

As for Reddit, I did create an account there solely for testing out the waters since I know there's a large writing and book community there, but many of the subreddits are strict in promotion and redirection to outside sites. I was able to post my Discord link on a sidebar of servers on a large Wattpad subreddit, but that about as much as I could do without Reddit becoming a huge time-sink trying to be active and invite users there to the server or even view the website. Except for the five main writing platforms I cover (with plans to expand to more), and main three social medias (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter which is the oldest account and most active since I somewhat gave up on the others due to time constraints), I haven't yet spread the word beyond these areas. Since the community is still new, I'm taking everything one step at a time. I'll likely have to grow the team to accelerate development beyond the organic growth.

Hopefully that answers your questions! Thank you again for your interest and support for the initiative! :)

Here's a few of the ones I liked, that might make a fine addition to your bookshelf. I'd post more, but the "under 30k views" rule is pretty strict:

In rough order:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39018/wander-west-in-shadow
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/41034/anarcho-a-gamelit-cyberpunk-fantasy
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/40599/the-undertakers-daughter
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/37150/the-destiny-of-fyss