Re: What kind of Gods do you have in your story?

My story mainly focuses on Japanese myth in the form of Yokai, naming etymology, and similar, but there’s an expansive list of Alamo (Japanese Gods and Goddesses) that influence the powers and abilities of the people where the story takes place. There’s other gods as well from Norse, Egyptian, and even Christian mythology and so on and so on that’s more unique to certain characters and their backgrounds. One character is heavy Norse mythology related (Her spear is called Gungnir, she has a Norse name, and she comes from a “Foreign Northern land shrouded in cold”. 

There’s also an African esque descended character that worships Anubis and the like from a southern continent. It’s a bunch of stuff I like to play around with.

TL;DR - Probably all of them in some aspect, but focuses mainly on Japanese Kami.

I suppose I might as well give my own take on it. In my first work, Legend of the Lost Star, I use the traditional elemental gods — fire, water, earth, wind, time, space — plus two oddballs that I never really got around to classifying. In turn, these eight were created from two ancient gods that fought to the death and all. 

For my newer work, Thief of Time, it's not released for the public yet, but there are three different sets of gods, each of them who rose up and overthrew their predecessors. The first set is based off the classical elements, the second based upon values/virtues, and the third from colours. As for how they work, it's ultra-spoiler territory that I myself only planned out recently.

My gods are personifications of concepts. Things like Memory, Fertility, Hunger, Knowledge, naming more would probably contain spoilers. I'm not that far into the plot yet. ;)

Gods in my story are these inconceivable huge things that exist outside of reality each in their own dimensions. Most of them are so massive that they compartmentalise chunks of themselves to interact with several different universes at once. So, when they interact with a mortal, they do so only with tiny fractions that are more like a dedicated role-play.

They take part in a universe mainly for their own entertainment and vanity. It's like playing a board game with their friends or frienemies. Doesn't mean that they can't get attached to a certain world, character or 'story'.

Some like to meddle a lot, some like to just watch. And some are just in it because everybody else does it, so they don't want to feel left out. ^^

In something I'm still outlining, I'm working on the theory that the local gods used to be very similar to the ones from Norse and Greek Mythology (although I don't recycle such names as "Zeus" and "Thor"). But that batch of gods -- call them "the senior gods" -- were pretty much wiped out in a devastating war, centuries ago. (Which also killed a great many mortals, of course.) 

The main viewpoint characters are mortals who start out with very little knowledge of divine politics, but there will be some supporting characters, popping up occasionally (and influencing events from offstage, the rest of the time), who are what we might call "junior gods who are keenly aware that they are still learning how to do their chosen jobs." They are rising up to fill the vacant job slots left by their predecessors/ancestors . . . but the junior gods themselves are still grappling with the questions of just what sort of gods they want to be, and whether they will be able to keep "progressing" in some way after they settle into their new roles. They can't help noticing that the "senior gods" kept doing things pretty much the same way, over and over, for thousands of years -- and look what finally happened to them! 

The young god of war, for instance, is toying with some radically different ideas from those of his deceased predecessor regarding such basic points as: "Just what does it mean to be the god of war? What is the best way for a mortal worshipper to win my favor? Does war necessarily involve killing lots and lots of people, or are there are other ways to wage 'war' and finally score a significant 'victory' that will make more difference in the long run than a pile of fresh corpses ever could?"

So even the junior gods themselves don't know what sort of gods they will be -- say, another thousand years from now.

All of your answers are pretty interesting!

In my story, they're called 'Greater Spirits' but are similar to standard fantasy gods, with being worshiped by humans, having rivalries with each other, etc. They're at the top of the totem pole for spirits in a typical polytheistic system, and of course have characteristics of spirits, so they're pretty inhuman. They become slowly more important in the story as the main character learns more about what's going on with them and how she fits into this. I've also connected it with the typical bloodline element from cultivation stories.

Mine are heavily based around South Pacific deities and they aren't necessarily human, since most of those deities were more akin to natural disasters. They've been around humanity long enough to know how to act like they're human but they aren't and they know this for a fact. 

They're also not good, they're not evil but they definitely aren't good. I was pretty inspired by Neil Gaiman's approach to gods as ideas in American Gods, so I decided to take that and run with it. 

In my story, I have the "old gods" and the "new gods", which isn't what they call themselves (or each other). The old gods are animal totems, while the new gods are more human-like (and similar to typical RPG gods who grant clerical powers). They manipulate events behind the scenes (mostly mentioned in the prologues and epilogues of each book), but they can't do much because people have free will. All they can do is put things in place and hope for the best ("best" being relative to their own goals).

While the gods' storyline impacts the mortal storyline, and the mortals' activities impact the gods' storyline, the mortal main characters (who make up the bulk of the story) are largely unaware of any of it.

I have two Gods, one male and one female, known by many as the Twins of Existence. 

Mortos, the lesser beloved God of Death and Annihilation, and Victus, the widely known and most 'accepted', the Goddess of Life and Creation. 
While his represenation may make him seem as the Devil of the world, it's all just a writing ploy to incite a biased opinion from the reader. While not morally righteous, Mortos is no more 'evil' or 'good' than Victus herself, and the cause for his misrepresentation mainly stems off of the people's lack of desire to accept death as a natural cycle of existence. In fact, the few who do support him, even if not radical in their approach, are essentially considered high taboos and are often ostracised or removed from society. Then again, that may be due to their more radical contributors' work. 

If you're ever so inclined, I'd much appreciate your time and opinions.

I'm not sure in what way to describe the Gods in my fiction. There's the two main ones, the one that created humans and animals and the other that created demons. And then there's the older ones that created those two known as Ancients. The Ancients were popped into creation by a realm of chaos and randomness called the Rift, how they were created they don't know. Some Ancients represent a concept, like one represents Chaos another represents Oath, some represent an element such as ice or fire. But it's not like those things exist because of the Ancients, if one dies it's fine the thing they represent isn't going to vanish from reality...I don't really know what else to add without creating some spoilers about Demons and what's going on between the two main Gods so I guess that's my answer.