Re: To whom it may concern

Hi there, I'm, as you may have guessed, a new face here.

I'm curious about a couple things, hoping to get the jump start on some answers as everyone says hello. I am, of course, looking through all the forums and such and may find the answers on my own anyway.

First of all, how are you? How's your day? Feeling okay?

I'm doing alright myself, my day off today and it's a nice, lazy one so far. Feeling pretty positive.

I was wondering how various authors feel about the community engagement here? I write an nsfw story and I've been having an awful time trying to find places that are willing to host it that also have a healthy, engaged community of readers. AO3, for example, is absolutely awful in terms of comments, but this site reminds me vaguely of FiMfiction, from the ancient days back when I read stories there, and if I recall correctly, that place had an excellent level of engagement.

I guess I'd also like to know how welcome nsfw content is in general. There doesn't seem to be rules against it, and I've noticed a few topics about it, but is it something people actually comment on, or do people pretend they aren't reading that stuff like they do so many other places? I'm kinda tired of putting in all the effort to reformat my story only to get lots of silent hits, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for your time!

Howdy and welcome to Royal Road.  RR is quite accepting of off topic titles and has only the usual guidelines on content.  The readership here is pretty obviously focused on web fictions, and related content, but other sorts of readers and content writers do make an appearance, just bear in mind who the basic audience is.  For applicable sort of work, the people here are very active and responsive, and the community friendly and more civilized than eh, many I might bring up. That said, ya pays yer money an takes yer chances when stepping out of the center of interest. Unsurprisingly.

Welcome to Royal Road. I've found the readers here to be good about providing feedback.

The FAQ's under Support should answer many of your other questions. Here's what they say about Mature content.
  • Mature content: Only if a chapter is tagged appropriately [Gore, Profanity, Sexual Content, Traumatising], can it include mature content.
Note that descriptions (fiction and chapter titles) cannot have mature content, even if the piece is tagged correctly. While mature content may be included, fiction that mainly focuses on said content will be deleted, as we view such as being in poor taste.

There are works here on Royal Road which contain NSFW content, but meet the rule shown above. If you want to see some examples, you can search for works which have Sexual Content in their tags. You'll have to determine if your work meets the above criteria. Good luck.

The_Letter_X Wrote: Hi there, I'm, as you may have guessed, a new face here.

Hello and welcome to Royal Road!  peohello

The_Letter_X Wrote: First of all, how are you? How's your day? Feeling okay?

Thanks for asking! I'm healthy and well-fed. A little bit lonely from the perpetual social distancing, but aren't we all?

The_Letter_X Wrote: I was wondering how various authors feel about the community engagement here?

I'm not an author myself, but from various author's opinions from the forum the general consensus is it's quite an active community. Although there are also a lot of silent readers. I have to admit that I myself was one of those silent readers for a long time. I have been reading stories on the site since June 2017 but only have been actively commenting on chapters, reviewing stories, and checking out the forums since October this year. One of the reasons I became active is because someone give my comment a +rep back then. Reputation is basically Royal Road's system of 'Likes', and the more you have reputations, the more you can give to others! Pretty neat! It's a fairly recent feature implemented on May 2019, and you can read more on the blog post: Leveled Up! | Royal Road. My advice is when you write stories, don't forget to engage with the readers through the pre/post-chapter-author-notes, polls, replying to comments, and giving +rep!

The_Letter_X Wrote: I guess I'd also like to know how welcome nsfw content is in general. There doesn't seem to be rules against it, and I've noticed a few topics about it, but is it something people actually comment on, or do people pretend they aren't reading that stuff like they do so many other places? I'm kinda tired of putting in all the effort to reformat my story only to get lots of silent hits, I guess.

You know what? The first story that hooks me to the platform is actually an NSFW story. It was one of the best rated fiction on the site at the time (and so was very easy to find), the legendary Everybody Loves Large Chest by Exterminatus. Even though it's already completed earlier this year, it's still on the page three of the best rated page! You should try to read the first few chapters of it! In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if your story has NSFW tags in it, as long as the story is well written (and tagged correctly, as parkertallan said). 

I don't think you need to worry about silent hits, as long as your story updates consistently. What I have to warn you though, is trolls and critics. In its early days, Royal Road was infamous for harsh comments on the fictions and discourage many amateur authors to write on the site. It works out great in the end, because those who stays are the passionate ones who write really good stories as a result. Since Royal Road has become more popular, people has been more lenient with the ratings (for good and bad). But there will always be readers who rate your stories badly (you can't please everyone after all). My advice is to have a tough skin instead of a faint heart. Take every opinions with a grain of salt. And make it a learning point for you to grow in your career as an author!

This went way longer than I expected, but I hope this is helpful to you! Good luck with your writing!