Re: SELF INSERT AS A FANTASY MC!

Ratings are low because your MC is reasonable, sensible, has emotions beyond what a brain-dead 3-year-old would have, has emotional attachments, is not a military genius from birth, is sometimes clueless, or is otherwise too realistic? 
FEAR NO LONGER; for the SELF INSERT AS A FANTASY MC! is here!
DO IT! Don't bother writing good stories. WRITE JUNK FOOD. People like that. People love that!
A few excerpts:

NEW STORY: 

I woke up as a nanite weapon. Being the literate Royal road reader, I knew already what to do. The MCs are so dumb and idiotic, acting like clueless idiots, but I am better than them. The first thing i did was to farm as much mass as possible, to become as big as the fucking planet itself. I bore into the core of the planet, and in a matter of days i WAS the planet. then i ate the universe, became a magic god, conquered the whole mutliverse, and created a simulation in which I was a dumb and clueless MC because I was so bored I was about to kill myself.

being a motivation driven character sucks ass and emotion makes me look vulnerable. also, being a dickhead is always the best choice. faced with the possibility to eat stuff, i decided to eat the whole fucking cave and digest the rock even if it was slow as fuck, I only needed to slow my own perception of time.

and now that i was already out of character by chapter three, i kept eating and growing, and created a replicant army of 20000 soldiers made of nanites who could wield guns and RPGs. then I conquered the world and sat on the throne made of the bones of my fallen enemies.

i looked like a sucker in this flashback. damn, was i brain dead or am i too awake now? well in any case, i will now use my full spectroscopic vision to find the rat and brutalize it like the sucker that it is. hesitating with killing such a repugnant creature made me feel like a little girl, but IM A MAN WHO DOES MANLY THINGS IN THE MANLIEST WAY POSSIBLE so there is no way i back away from the fight. after disintegrating the rat in a shower of blood and gore, i was sent in a flashback scene. it must have been scripted.

obviously it either was a setup, or not, but the important thing here is being a cool MC and going on the path of vengeance straight away. deciding to do just that, I built a helicopter with the nanites and marched for the capital, where I laid waste to everything and everyone in a matter of minutes. i got so many kills that god came to me and offered me the nuclear perrk, which I used and the whole world was vaporized.

I cracked the secrets of FTL communication and made ten trillion copies of myself, and infiltrated the kingdom and the world. now, 9000 years later, all biological life is extinct and all the people around are actually a part of myself that I use to simulate a normal world

I looked out of the city walls, and already knew what was about to happen. It was an ambush, and the man was actually going to kill me because he knew i was made of nanites. how he knew? dont know. how I knew that he knew? because I am the MC, and after reading so many novels on RR, I know everything. and the ambush? because RR, of course, and because I am a military genius who will go out of character in order to look cooler. was I a dumb and clueless iditiot until now? WELL NO MORE because I need to look cool now.
 I strolled out with the confidence of a 12 year old who just finished dragonball and became a level 49999 sayan, and immediately vaporized the whole enemy ambush with a gamma ray burst from my eyes. What? I should have no knowledge of gamma rays? I looked like superman?

FUck.
I went back in time with my MacGuffin plot armor machine, and redid the fight so that it would not end too quickly. after fifteen paragraphs of pregnant fight scenes, captivating, cool, and definitely shonen, I won. I went back to the inn, bloodied and dirty, and had sex with Tommy who was actually a loli beast girl who was deifinitely 18. then, god plucked out of my bed and told me I was the best MC ever, and brought me to the land of clouds and happiness, but it was boring so I killed god

RANT OVER

I mean, my story isn’t like that and I know a lot of others aren’t either. Yes, you describe a story that casual readers enjoy and those tend to be popular.

I don’t really view RR as a competition. It’s just a place for me to put up a story I had in my mind and nags at me to keep writing it. If people enjoy it then fantastic and if they don’t then I understand. I’m writing an D&D style game so of course not everything is perfectly logical due to natural 1s and 20s.

I’m sure if you wrote a satire story like that, people would read it. And I’m sure that would annoy you as well but if you are trying to gain traction here then maybe you should create a novel like that and then have your followers check out the work you’d like to promote.

This is one of the most beautiful (and accurate) things I’ve ever read on RR. Lmfao. 

But yeah, I don’t get the logic of a lot of people when it comes to self inserts. Especially when most people aren’t as smart as they think they are despite what they’d “assume” they’d do in a dangerous situation.

“If I see a Wolf coming at me, I’d fight it and break its neck!”

*Proceeds to run away like a little girl when they see just how big a wolf (and it’s teeth) are when it attacks them*

Apocryphal Wrote: This is one of the most beautiful (and accurate) things I’ve ever read on RR. Lmfao. 

But yeah, I don’t get the logic of a lot of people when it comes to self inserts. Especially when most people aren’t as smart as they think they are despite what they’d “assume” they’d do in a dangerous situation.

*Proceeds to run away like a little girl when they see just how big a wolf (and it’s teeth) are when it attacks them*

Exactly that. I've have similar issues myself, even trying to imagine how big a cubic meter of concrete is, is actually hard. Try and make one, then tell me if you can lift it lmao.

What nags me most is that all these people with skewed world views that come from their overdependence on their sofa and television then proceed to lower the ratings or write hateful comments.
The MC is dumb Yadda Yadda. O sure so in your mind an emotional reaction is dumb? Go read battlefield earth by hubbard, then. And don't leave any real life situations, cause they would be dumb too.
It's a shame, because a novel I spent so much time working on ended up with a lower rating than one I wrote just to pass the time without even a real plot, only power fantasy.

Apocryphal Wrote: This is one of the most beautiful (and accurate) things I’ve ever read on RR. Lmfao. 

I felt this jab a mile away. All because one of my characters did this to a wolf.

But in all seriousness, I get you. I have a ton of “Why did X do Y.” In my inbox. All it serves to do is remind me that my readers aren’t in my head. They can’t see my thought process.

This means I need to somehow show my reasoning better or explain it better in my author notes.

Luca Wrote:

Exactly that. I've have similar issues myself, even trying to imagine how big a cubic meter of concrete is, is actually hard. Try and make one, then tell me if you can lift it lmao.

What nags me most is that all these people with skewed world views that come from their overdependence on their sofa and television then proceed to lower the ratings or write hateful comments.
The MC is dumb Yadda Yadda. O sure so in your mind an emotional reaction is dumb? Go read battlefield earth by hubbard, then. And don't leave any real life situations, cause they would be dumb too.
It's a shame, because a novel I spent so much time working on ended up with a lower rating than one I wrote just to pass the time without even a real plot, only power fantasy.

There’s a saying that most people don’t have the cognitive ability to think beyond what they “think” they’d do from a safe position, but I can’t remember what it was.

Basically, it’s akin to an arm chair debater. The type that you’d see screaming at Football players for doing something as if they know how the game works better because they watch it, or how you have those people thinking they could beat the crap out of a Pitbull that attacks them, until it actually happens.

You can’t point this out to them, though, cause then they’ll get mad. It’s a lose/lose situation unfortunately.

Don't you just love it when people create their own interpretations of the plotline simply because they aren't happy with what the MC decided?

I just facepalm whenever someone tells me, "he should've acted like X, because how I act would've totally made sense and be cooler."

Thanks, Mister 'curbstomp everything, kill the bitch, I'm too smart to fall for it' guy. You know who you are.

Delicious hatred.  Om nom nom nom.

It is true though, self-insert MC's tend to underperform, often because the writers have been graced by God to never have been in a life or death situation, let alone combat.

I couldn't honestly write myself into one of my stories.  Go out and kill monsters?  Not just no, hell no.  I've had enough men bleed out on me, I'm not going to actively seek out combat.  I'll be a merchant or a farmer.  It would be an incredibly boring novel.  I don't even have any childhood trauma to fall back on.  And growing up on a farm, in the country has left me with far too many basic skills that make a 'mary sue'.

Jahx Wrote: Delicious hatred.  Om nom nom nom.

It is true though, self-insert MC's tend to underperform, often because the writers have been graced by God to never have been in a life or death situation, let alone combat.

I couldn't honestly write myself into one of my stories.  Go out and kill monsters?  Not just no, hell no.  I've had enough men bleed out on me, I'm not going to actively seek out combat.  I'll be a merchant or a farmer.  It would be an incredibly boring novel.  I don't even have any childhood trauma to fall back on.  And growing up on a farm, in the country has left me with far too many basic skills that make a 'mary sue'.

And here's the title for your next novel:

I cultivated for hundreds of years, so I could be a turnip farmer: People leave me be!