Common
Uncommon
Somewhat rare / partially rare
Rare
Very Rare
Ultra Rare
Legendary
Unique

As you can guess the "somewhat rare" or "partially rare" doesn't really fit, and I would like to ask if someone else has a better name for that level of rarity.

It has to be a probability-based name for context, I can't use names like "epic" - I would like to replace the current placeholder "Legendary" as well if possible, but that at least partially fit the theme with an image of "only heart about this, never seen it".

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks

Re: I need a name for a rarity/probability rank

Thanks for the suggestions
carebear90 Wrote: Hmm... Maybe 'Scarce' or 'Sparse'? But I'm not sure if that sounds rarer than 'Rare' already. 

And perhaps 'Mythical' instead of 'Legendary' if you want to replace that too.

Edit: What's your difference between 'Generic' and 'Common'?

Scrarce and sparse are good ideas - the relative values don't bother in this case as I can simply define which one has which chances.

"Generic" means almost everyone has it, while "common" means that a lot but not everyone has it. It is a bit of a not nice naming and I might change that, but there are only a limited number of terms that fit.

David Wrote: Abnormal, remarkable, atypical, exceptional, noteable, noteworthy, significant, distinct, specific, limited, extraordinary, exceptional, phenomenal, outstanding, unparalleled, unmatched, unrivaled, incomparable, transcendent?

These terms (some more or some less than others) contain some form of relative judgement of different values. That would make them very good for any gaming or value ranking, but is exactly what I don't want to use and why I referred to probability naming.

"Infrequent" from the other poster fits as well (might even be better than sparse or scarce), but not his other suggestions.

carebear90 Wrote: Is it important that you have exactly 10 rarity ranks?
Otherwise, 'very infrequent' looks a bit strange to me. I Can't put my finger on why though. 

No, I could go eleven or twelve - but less would no longer work unfortunately.
hmdrake Wrote: Maybe it's because of my mobile gaming history, but ultra rare hits wrong as well.

[/quote]
Can you tell me why that is? Because ultra-rare is rather common in games, including mobile games.
Or is it just because there are usually other steps like "epic" or "legendary" above the ultra-rare here? That unfortunately doesn't fit with my scheme...

How would you use this probability rank? Is this for item rarity, skills, person, or monster? I asked because knowing the context may help us coming up with a custom rarity levels. Here are some examples:

* In Second Coming of Gluttony, the skill levels from Lowest > Low > Intermediate > High > Highest before breaking the barrier to Pinnacle > EX > and lastly Divine Beginning.
* In Over-Geared, the equipment Grid created may be ranked from Normal > Rare > Epic > Unique > Legendary > and then Mythic. 
* In The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, the sculpture that Weed produces is ranked from Ordinary > Fine > Masterpiece > and then Magnum Opus.

Even though LMS has the fewest stages, it's the best compared to other, in my opinion. That's because it was executed brilliantly. The hype building in the story is more important than the levels of the systems. I once read somewhere that human brain is only capable at retaining 7 things at once, so personally I think it's better to limit the scope to seven things only.

With that said, here's my suggestion:
List of Probability

* Basic / Generic / Very Common / Common: 
50%-99.9% of population have it (if it's a trait or a skill) 
or it's easy to find in nature (if it's a crafting material)

* Uncommon / Somewhat Rare / Partially Rare: 
30%-49% of population have it (if it's a trait or skill) 
or it's easy to find in nature but only grows in certain climate (if it's a crafting material) 
or if it needs some kind of grind work to obtain (if it's a skill or material)
or if it affects more than one person (if it's a skill)

* Rare: 
10%-29% of population have it (if it's a trait or a skill) 
or it needs more thoughtful work or processing to obtain (if it's a crafting material)
or if it affects a neighborhood (if it's a skill)

* Very Rare / Ultra Rare / Unique: 
2%-9% of population have it (if it's a trait or a skill) 
or it needs more than one processing (if it's a crafting material) 
or if it affects a whole city (if it's a skill)

* Legendary / Hero: 
1% of population have it (if it's a trait or a skill)
or if it affects the whole sub-continent (if it's a skill)

* Mythic / Ancient: 
0.01% of population have it (if it's a skill or a trait)
or if it affects the whole world (if it's a skill) 
or something that happen once in seven generations (like a reincarnation of a hero) 
or once in a thousand years (cataclysmic event)

* God Tier / Divine: only one in all of existence (GOD, the center of our universes, blackhole, multiverses)

References:
https://the-second-coming-of-gluttony.fandom.com/wiki/Seol_Jihu/Status_Window
https://overgeared.fandom.com/wiki/Grid/Crafts
https://the-legendary-moonlight-sculptor.fandom.com/wiki/Other_Sculptures#Introduction
https://phys.org/news/2009-11-brain-magic.html

starvingsloth Wrote: How would you use this probability rank? Is this for item rarity, skills, person, or monster? I asked because knowing the context may help us coming up with a custom rarity levels. Here are some examples:

Oh, it is for a system setting that I'm currently working on - a system apocalypse story to be precise.

But one of the differences is that this system does NOT come from a game or game-like setting, and I want that reflected in the terms it uses. Especially since it will not be a true intelligence and some of its effects will be different compared to your typical system setting (for example there will be no classes, and EXP for leveling will come mostly from feats achieved, with zero points directly from killing).

So any references to how good adventurers are or even what gods there are will not fit.

Oops sorry didn't read all the available replies when I started typing my suggestions.

If you need at least ten, why not use the staple of adventurer's guild rank? Namely G > F > E > D > C > B > A > S > SS > SSS. You could add EX after that, or AA and AAA between A and S.

Or if you're stuck, it doesn't matter if the leveling is by number, e.g. LV 1, LV 2, and so on. The readers will accept it if you explain what each level meant for the rarity level:
* Lv 1: 90%-100% rarity
* Lv 2: 80%-90% rarity
* Lv 10: 0-10% rarity

Although to me it doesn't really make sense to separate the rarity between the first few levels. The difference between 90% occurrence and 80% occurrence are negligible in my opinion. That's why in my previous post I group all the 50%+ occurrence to one: Common.

Hope this helps.

Andar Wrote:
starvingsloth Wrote: How would you use this probability rank? Is this for item rarity, skills, person, or monster? I asked because knowing the context may help us coming up with a custom rarity levels. Here are some examples:

Oh, it is for a system setting that I'm currently working on - a system apocalypse story to be precise.

But one of the differences is that this system does NOT come from a game or game-like setting, and I want that reflected in the terms it uses. Especially since it will not be a true intelligence and some of its effects will be different compared to your typical system setting (for example there will be no classes, and EXP for leveling will come mostly from feats achieved, with zero points directly from killing).

So any references to how good adventurers are or even what gods there are will not fit.

Oh okay, but that still doesn't really explain why it needs to be ten levels, though.

In my opinion, ten is pushing the boundary. If it's a system that governs the universe then it doesn't have to be boxed by these artificial levels, right? It can just use whatever adjectives is necessary. It makes more sense if the system only define three levels, like Common > Uncommon > Rare. It feels more natural. Adding a term like "Ultra rare" or "Unique" is actually sounds more like game than not.

Here's another idea: Use colors as the levels. There are 11 different colors human can perceive: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Purple, White, Black, Gray, and Brown.

edit: fix typo

Andar Wrote:
starvingsloth Wrote: Oops sorry didn't read all the available replies when I started typing my suggestions.

and then you missed my answer to your post above as well.

All of these are good ideas that would fit a typical gamer story (although I personally don't like the G->SSS type ranks), the problem is just that I want to prevent using gamer terminology.

Lol and I missed this answer as well  peolaughing

colors might be an alternative, but those would be completely independent of any value, even numeric value.
I still think the current system is better than switching to colors, especially since some of the colors you named are not colors at all but brightness scales.

I need to think about that - it will be some time before I need to fix this as the story will start with an unreadable mess and it will be chapter four or five when I'll have to commit to a ranking system.

and the number of levels is mostly for enough scale and progression between the numbers involved - but on the other hand I don't know if the reader will ever get the mathematics, I'm doing them mostly for my own fun.

Andar Wrote:
starvingsloth Wrote: Oops sorry didn't read all the available replies when I started typing my suggestions.

and then you missed my answer to your post above as well.

All of these are good ideas that would fit a typical gamer story (although I personally don't like the G->SSS type ranks), the problem is just that I want to prevent using gamer terminology.

Avoiding gamer terminology is one of the reasons I'd say avoid Ultra Rare. I'd use Exceedingly Rare or something similar to avoid the implications.