Re: How does RR decide which fiction tags to be included or added in the website?

There are a lot of fiction tags on RR. In my opinion, most of the tags helped control the type of novels that appeared on this site. I mostly see isekai, gamelit, fantasy and sci-fi here.

I was wondering how these tags are decided. Because honestly, I want to have other tags to be added. I posted this on the April General Thread #1:
Quote:I think it would be a good idea to add other tags aside from those currently existing to increase the authors' options of categorizing their fictions and making it more known to people interested on the new tags.

These are just examples of tags I would have wanted:
  • Business Management - Focuses on managing various types on businesses.
  • Entertainment Industry - Novels depicting life of celebrities, actors, singers and other occupation related to the entertainment industry.
  • Light-hearted - Describe the tone or style of fiction that is more on the fluffy or wholesome side.
  • Farm Life - Usually place their characters in a setting regarding farming or animal rearing. The farm life may be a primary theme or just a portion of the story.
  • Boy Love - Focus on the relationship and romantic love between males.
  • (I love yaoi and I also read yuri sometimes. But some people may not like it so having this tag allows readers to know if they will like the novel or not and avoid negative reviews from irrational, homophobic people who were not warned what type of novel they might be reading.)
Maybe there are stories like that in this site but their discoverability is not as good as the novels that could be categorized in the existing tags.

Other tags in mind are mostly influenced by tags in NU. Anyway, I think it would be nice to add more diversity in the novels being written here. Sometimes, I find myself exploring other genres because when I read a lot of novels in the same genre or "general template", it gets tiring.

Are there other people like me who wants additional tags or is it just me? If you want to have a tag added, what would it be?

Re: How does RR decide which tags to be included or added in the website?

Idk how the tags are decided. But if I were to add more specific elements. Tags in RR are often generalized. For example, there's no Artificial Intelligent tags which could be classified under other sci-fi related tags. I forgot the name.

Anyway, I also probably want to add tags which have different vibes from existing tags here. For example:
  • Doctors - explores illnesses or life of people in the medical field
  • Child-rearing - raising children, obviously. There's just something special about nurturing a child. I find it very wholesome
  • Pets
  • Archeology
Or something related to the initial personality of the main character
  • Curious Protag
  • Cunning Protag
  • Emotionally-weak Protag
  • Shameless Protag
Of course, the characters can change depending on the character development planned for him. But I really want to know before reading the story a gist of a mpre complex personality of the main character

or maybe a tag like, multiple protag. Some stories have the plot revolve around multiple people, each with their povs and whatnot.

Anyone coming from Wattpad can tell you about the problems with having too many tags.
Truth is, most of those are niche and adding them would not help the majority of readers.
Keeping the tags/genres simple and relying on a good blurb is a far better way to communicate those niches.

As for genres like BL, there are websites that cater to that kind of stories like Tapas. Here they will likely remain a niche, and just like Wattpad trying to cover all the niches will just bury them in an unsearchable pile.

Quote:Anyway, I also probably want to add tags which have different vibes from existing tags here. For example:
  • Doctors - explores illnesses or life of people in the medical field
  • Child-rearing - raising children, obviously. There's just something special about nurturing a child. I find it very wholesome
  • Pets
  • Archeology
Or something related to the initial personality of the main character
  • Curious Protag
  • Cunning Protag
  • Emotionally-weak Protag
  • Shameless Protag

Archaeology would be a great tag. It would help me a ton. And, everything you mentioned under main character as well: curious protag, cunning, emotionally-weak. I second those tags. Wish they were real.

Also, something that might help.
Unlike most other writing sites, RR has an advanced search feature that works pretty well for finding even the most obscure story themes as long as they mentioned in the description.
So, for example, if you are writing or searching for stories about doctors or pets or archaeology or what not, if these elements are mentioned in the blurb, they can be found easily without the need for special tags.

https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2FxGqDPwn%2FCapture.png

https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2F7QS0Dp3%2FCapture-2.png

https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2F4gsxrpJ%2FCapture-3.png

More tags seem nice in theory, but tags like "Farm Life" feel obscure enough to me that (no matter how much I might enjoy reading them), there'd suddenly be a wave of requests for other tags that couldn't reasonably be denied.

Off the top of my head, tags that seem to be similarly niche might include:
  • Pirates
  • Evolution
  • Time Travel/Loop
The protagonist thing also seems decent in theory, but there are so many adjectives that including them all would be unfeasible at best. Take, for example:
  • Humorous Protagonist
  • Cheerful Protagonist
  • Pessimist Protagonist
etc. and it would, unfortunately, go on for a while, I think.

The site has done good so far limiting the tags, so bloat wont happen. Which can be observed on other sites like Wattpad as stated by others, Novelupdates and others. Keeping it simple is fine.

Also some of those tags have their reasons for not being added beyond keeping the tags simple. Most notably the BL/GL tags and any such variation on them, there is a somewhat significant amount of readers who do NOT like any kind of BL content and some of them will actively downrate any stories known to have such content, it wont appear in reviews as the staff does not allow such content in reviews, but cant do the same about ratings. Would make it even worse if they can search for any story with such tags and give them a 0,5.

I like tags that help people find new types of stories with certain niches or subgenres. Farm Life and Entertainment Industry would be good tags if there are enough stories to justify it. And I personally really want there to be tags for Time Loop and Alternate History, which would really help readers find some pretty specific types of stories. And while I don't agree at all with tagging for sexuality appearing just to appease oversensitive homophobes, "BL" itself is honestly a genre of its own at this point and probably deserves to be added (but NOT all gay male stories qualify as BL; it's pretty specific).

I don't like tags that talk about characters, rather than about genre or content. Those kinds of tags are interesting for doing a deep categorization of stories for stuff like statistical analysis and recommendation algorithms, but stuff like "Happy protagonist" and "Cheerful protagonist" and "Sibling bonding" is TOO specific and only appeals to the power users who are reading hundreds of stories a year and are actually running out of stuff to read. Maybe the NU/Scribble Hub site people have stats on how many people actually use these tags to prove me wrong? But I just can't see them being useful.

Tags are added by the site owner to support the genres the site supports. Currently, the site is expanding tags somewhat to support SF, for instance.  I am not very confident the tag nomena will ever grow to a dictionary sized tome including every possible word that might, in one or another authors mind, be just perfect to describe some individual author's work, or interest. A lot of things will likely always be grouped as "Other". or "Misc."  Overall, not a bad thing.