Re: Gods, Reincarnation and LitRPG

I, as i imagine most of you do, have pretty peculiar tastes when it comes to reading novels on royal road, after all everyone has his or her favourite kinds of stories.

I love reincarnation novels,  space opera, sci-fi, aventure, virtual reality, even LitRPGs, distopian, etc. etc.

There is however a combination i really detest and has turned me away from some probably great novels and that is people dying meeting some god and then reincarnating into a LitRPG world. Am i the only one or does anyone else feel like that's the cheapest start to a story there is? No backstory, no interesting purpose, just a GOD that is supposed to explain everything and who pics the main character at a whim or with a goal that never gets revealed or fulfilled.

I personally think reincarnation and LitRPG don't mix well. As reincarnation is a type of setting that allows so much development to happen before the death that can be used to flesh out the story later while LitRPG just starts like the flick of a finger. Paired with Isekai or System apocalypse or virtual reality LitRPG can reach its full potential being an integral part of the story and the start of everything but with reincarnation it just takes away from the story. 

Again i am not sure if i am alone with this interpretation as i have seen sooo many stories that just go with the G-R-L routine and i have enjoyed very very few of them, and most i cant bring myself to even give a try.

I would like to know what you think of this and believe it or not but i read novels on this site since over 5 years but have never really noticed this forum before today.

You bring up some incredible points. Reincarnation on a god's whim seems cheap but so many stories start out that way. While it doesn't make me drop the novel, it does give me some preconceptions. Especially stories where the goddess is a cute loli or an over-sexed doll for MC to do as they wish later. Gods should be incomprehensible in my opinion.
As for Reincarnation + Litrpg, it is not that bad a combination but it may just be my personal preference. While most stories with this setting go down the power-fantasy route, it doesn't need to be that way. I use this setting and have avoided this trap so far. As for the reincarnation of the MC and who did it and why, the MC doesn't know any of it but readers do. 
Of course, I didn't mention my story to change your opinion. The points you bring up are things that do plague this genre.

Its true that reincarnation + litRPG is slighly more enjoyable without the whole annoying god setting and i imagine a gifted author or just one with similar taste to the reader could make any trope enjoyable just as ones tastes evolve and change with time.

And in regards to the loli god thats just awful but in my opinion the whole harem genere is. 

Much like ai companions, who make it possible for absolutely incompetent mcs to shine.

Anyway thx for the response.

Wolfram1 Wrote: Its true that reincarnation + litRPG is slighly more enjoyable without the whole annoying god setting and i imagine a gifted author or just one with similar taste to the reader could make any trope enjoyable just as ones tastes evolve and change with time.

And in regards to the loli god thats just awful but in my opinion the whole harem genere is. 

Much like ai companions, who make it possible for absolutely incompetent mcs to shine.

Agreed. Harem is more often than not wish fulfilment. 

Wolfram1 Wrote: Its true that reincarnation + litRPG is slighly more enjoyable without the whole annoying god setting and i imagine a gifted author or just one with similar taste to the reader could make any trope enjoyable just as ones tastes evolve and change with time.

I actually don't have an ingrained dislike of harem, hell my favourite book series ever (and one of the most highly acclaimed epic fantasy stories) is technically a harem fic. It's just that I've never, not even once, seen it done well outside of published novels. I stopped reading any online fics with harem in them because they always suck. 

Polyamorous relationships aren't exactly new to me (third world country where polygamy isn't unheard of, both my granddads had more than one wife) so I do try give them an honest chance. It's just that they all end up bad. Still holding out hope though, one day someone will do it well

Strif3 Wrote:

I actually don't have an ingrained dislike of harem, hell my favourite book series ever (and one of the most highly acclaimed epic fantasy stories) is technically a harem fic. It's just that I've never, not even once, seen it done well outside of published novels. I stopped reading any online fics with harem in them because they always suck. 

Polyamorous relationships aren't exactly new to me (third world country where polygamy isn't unheard of, both my granddads had more than one wife) so I do try give them an honest chance. It's just that they all end up bad. Still holding out hope though, one day someone will do it well

Oh wow. If it is not presumptuous to ask, where are you from?

Ankur_93 Wrote: Oh wow. If it is not presumptuous to ask, where are you from?

I don't mind lmao, I'm from Eswatini, a small southern African country. It's a beautiful place, we just have a shitty monarchy (and I'm not saying this out of bitterness, it's just frustrating to watch something you love get mistreated so egregiously). My maternal granddad had two wives, and my paternal granddad was a prince [not as big a deal as you might assume, there's a lot of royals because my family traditionally takes a ridiculous number of wives, even by the standards of a polygamous society. My great-granddad, the previous king, had like 70] so he had 6. 

It's a cultural thing, so there isn't the same repulsion most people seem to have at polygamous relationships, they're seen as pretty normal. Less so now though, as christianity has gotten more widespread and people conform to the monogamous heteronormativity promoted in the bible (which I've always seen as weird considering basically every important figure in the bible was polygamous ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Indeed, it is easy to use meeting God as means for explaining the world and reasons for reincarnation. But even this is a trope that can be done right. I highly recommend "The death mage who doesn't want a fourth time". It is sad, it is funny, and it has one really crappy God that has dug his own grave. Even the harem is good (and I generally dislike harem stories).

Strif3 Wrote:
Ankur_93 Wrote: Oh wow. If it is not presumptuous to ask, where are you from?

I don't mind lmao, I'm from Eswatini, a small southern African country. It's a beautiful place, we just have a shitty monarchy (and I'm not saying this out of bitterness, it's just frustrating to watch something you love get mistreated so egregiously). My maternal granddad had two wives, and my paternal granddad was a prince [not as big a deal as you might assume, there's a lot of royals because my family traditionally takes a ridiculous number of wives, even by the standards of a polygamous society. My great-granddad, the previous king, had like 70] so he had 6. 

It's a cultural thing, so there isn't the same repulsion most people seem to have at polygamous relationships, they're seen as pretty normal. Less so now though, as christianity has gotten more widespread and people conform to the monogamous heteronormativity promoted in the bible (which I've always seen as weird considering basically every important figure in the bible was polygamous ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Thank you for answering. I can see how the perspective is different for polygamy. :)
Your family history is fascinating btw.

I always felt like the worst part of that trope was the fact that the god in question was often THE God. Big G. Omnipotent, all-knowing, the whole nine yards. Then, one might ask, why the hell would an omnipotent beyond-human being care at all about the trifles of a single human? And if his death was an "accident", can't the all-powerful God just un-do it? Real stupid. Whenever I do these sorts of stories (which I do because I love lit-rpg + reincarnation + monster mc), I either have the reincarnation happen for some reason the MC is unaware of, or I have an actual reason. 

In a story I've dropped, the reason for the main character to "reincarnate" was not because a God had taken a liking to him, but because one of two Gods of the other world had mistaken him for his edgy, game-playing friend and had him reincarnated since he wanted him to become a strong monster to fight the forces of the other God. The God of Earth let this happen because they couldn't bother keeping the two from fighting like cats and gods. The main character was just a farmer who knew nothing about any of this videogame nonsense.  

-Though, it's semi-dropped, so...

Personally, when a reincarnation story is concerned, I prefer when there isn't a God just going "Hey, this is why you're being reincarnated, this is your mission", especially when they go into the overplayed "this is your OP gimmick". It's not necessarily bad mind you, it can be handled correctly, but I vastly prefer for the MC to just awaken. They don't know where they are, they have no idea why they're still breathing. It opens up so many possibilities about having them decide on their own purpose, their own objective, rather than one they were just handed by a deity, and they can try to find out why they're here, how they were transported there, ect. It's kind of what I did in my own story.

But yeah, I do agree that the theme of reincarnation and LitRPG has been...not necessarily overplayed to death, there is so good stuff out there (looking at you, There Is No Epic Loot Here, Only Puns), but it's definitely oversaturated. LitRPG also has it's own issues, mainly that some mechanics can just be abused as all hell (not necessarily because the author is bad either, there's just so much stuff after a while you're bound to make a mistake at some point. Heck, video game developpers do it and it's their job to balance this stuff) if you do the math, and far too many author just put a handwave to explain why no one is just abusing the crap out of this particular exploit. Although I guess a story about a world that was supposed to be balanced and everyone just abused some cracks in the system, and now everything has gone to hell could be a pretty interesting concept.

I also aggree with Palt, with the slight caveat that if you really want an omnipotent deity, don't have the MC deal with it, have the MC talk to an angel, or the equivalent of that particular deity's minions. Bonus point if there's some form of celestial administration/bureaucracy to keep everything running because the omnipotent deity didn't want to be bothered and basically put everything on autopilot.