Re: How to help get noticed?

yeah, mostly just wondering as I'm only getting around 20ish hits on new chapters so not sure how many people are finding me enough to say ay or nay :>   Like I said being popular be nice, but I settle for, not many like, but many get a chance to say they don't like :>  The only thing worse than being hated is liked but no one sees it.

Ankur_93 Wrote: Most people will not try a story until it has reached a certain number of pages, for most that limit is 100 pages. So you shouldn't worry about readership until then. 
One thing I'd recommend is for you to add the link of your story and a 2 line synopsis in your signature. It will draw people from Forums.

Thanks I have my link in my sig, but haven't put the synopsis there yet I will try that :>  Does this look right?

wolfwing1 Wrote:
Ankur_93 Wrote: Perhaps a shorter blurb? Most people do not have much patience for signatures.

Sure, heh how short?   I also put my description in the, "I will rewrite it for you." post and maybe that will help a bit :>

The blurb that you put in your signature is different from the one put your story's main page. In signature, I'd say, keep it around 10-15 words.

There are steps you can take, but ultimately, the best thing you can do is look at your entry level material and make sure that it's the best you can possibly make it.  Just looking over the blurb a little myself, I spotted missing commas, inconsistent list format, a poorly worded sentence and that's just the first paragraph.  Once the story gets going, readers don't care about that stuff, but the blurb is the place readers are looking for an excuse to drop your fiction.  
Quote:One day COMMA

Quote:a young boy has a dream of swimming as a dolphin, then a wolf, panther, and finally an eagle

should be
Quote:a young boy dreams of becoming a dolphin, a wolf, a panther, and finally an eagle.  

You can do other things too, but the list should be consistent in format.  If the dolphin is swimming, then the wolf should be running and the panther stalking, etc
Quote: The world is his oyster and open to him.

^The oyster reference is an incredibly overused cliche and the second part is just badly worded.  

My recommendation is to study grammar more and learn active voice.  Active voice makes REALLY NICE sentences.  But it's hard to do.  

DarkD Wrote: There are steps you can take, but ultimately, the best thing you can do is look at your entry level material and make sure that it's the best you can possibly make it.  Just looking over the blurb a little myself, I spotted missing commas, inconsistent list format, a poorly worded sentence and that's just the first paragraph.  Once the story gets going, readers don't care about that stuff, but the blurb is the place readers are looking for an excuse to drop your fiction.  
Quote:One day COMMA

Quote:a young boy has a dream of swimming as a dolphin, then a wolf, panther, and finally an eagle

should be
Quote:a young boy dreams of becoming a dolphin, a wolf, a panther, and finally an eagle.  

You can do other things too, but the list should be consistent in format.  If the dolphin is swimming, then the wolf should be running and the panther stalking, etc
Quote: The world is his oyster and open to him.

^The oyster reference is an incredibly overused cliche and the second part is just badly worded.  

My recommendation is to study grammar more and learn active voice.  Active voice makes REALLY NICE sentences.  But it's hard to do.  

yeah I will fix those, and put my description up in the, "I will fix your description category."  something that I've been doing that should help is that my chapters have people proof reading elsewhere, plus my dad should hopefully be able to help me a bit too.  I'm slowly improving thanks to posting these so I hope it will continue :>