Re: Thoughts on Writer's Arrogance? (Rant fuel)

mordreth Wrote: I experienced a different kind of arrogance.  The one where an author can't understand that not everyone will enjoy their work.

I had an author email me about my review.  They didn't like that I gave them 3 stars and that I made a comment about how the story had a decent start, but if you only like hetero MCs, then that story isn't for you.  I didn't say that the story was bad or that it was poorly written.  I just gave a heads up that if you're scared straight, you should probably avoid reading it.

They didn't appreciate that, which is fine.  However, emailing the reviewer and including the words unfair and homophobic for a 3 star review kinda irks me.

Wait. That's two different things.

If you gave him a three star rating because you didn't like the story, fine.

If you didn't rate him because he wrote a story which included elements you did not like, that's fine.

If you donwrated him because he included a gay character, then that's wrong.

Up front (and kind of a spoiler) my main character is a girl and gay. So what? Why would that matter to the quality of the story? It might not push all your buttons (hell if I know, perhaps it takes leather and whips to do so, who am I to say :-) ) but that doesn't make the story good nor bad.

Now there's no problem if you mention that it contains gay characters, and that this isn't your thing. That's fine. Me, I'm not rating stories that I feel uncomfortable with.

I might downrate a story because it ends up as a gay snugfest, whilst in the blurb it pretends to be something different. That I do not like.

... but downrating it because it contains a gay character... Nah.

So, this debate took a drastic turn of events, either way, I am a complete noob in the art of writing, my grammar is not perfect neither I think is decent for the English speakers and readers out there because my mother language is Spanish. I always think that if you want to get better you have to at least be thick-skinned and upfront towards what the readers might think of your work because you need and I need it to be better, Heck my career is not English or Spanish is Mechanic Engineering. I am out of my league with all of you people, but at least I try to make it better, there was a guy who today wrote me a comment about my MC having bad grammar (Its a gecko, not a human, nor humanoid), I really didn't understand that and am still waiting for clarification.

In the case of the sex, I really like it when a story is more akin to the journey and changes of the individual rather than its sexuality. Yeah it's true it can have some weight in his/her development but each author has a way of doing things, for me, I prefer my MC to not be intermixed with that yet because it's a critter, not a man or a woman.

and of course, I support the notion of being bad when a story is downrated for having an individual with a different sexuality, if you don't like then don't read it and look for something else.

Also if people want to be dicks and belittle someone else work, ¿why don't they look at themselves first and do a review of their personality?

mordreth Wrote: Welp, my review got kicked off now.  Poor author whined to the admins.

A review or a story isn't just taken down because someone reports it. If it is unclear whether the review broke the rule and fairness, the admins consult multiple opinions before deciding if they should delete it or not. So if your review got kicked off, it was not only because a poor author(or his poor supporters or a poor random reader) whined to the admins, but because it contained stuff that was against the site policy. And frankly, reviewing depending on whether you like the story or not is fair, but as an author, I find unfair reviews that misrepresent a story to be the most offensive...

mordreth Wrote: Welp, my review got kicked off now.  Poor author whined to the admins.

Yeah, this person's insistence that they aren't in the wrong about giving a middling rating to a book for having a gay character is one of the larger problems that CAUSES this "writer's arrogance" situation, on this site at least. Authors are so constantly bullied and insulted by random readers that they end up becoming much more hostile in return, and that in turn again increases the comments that are constantly about correcting or arguing with the author.

I rarely get in any sort of kerfuffle with readers because I try to reply to jerks with at least double the decency they gave me. But even well-meaning readers can end up doing harm to thinner-skinned authors in the macro. One commenter on one of my stories gave typo corrections when they popped up, but continually corrected a styling formatting decision I made that was untypical but also intentional and very pervasive. The second time that I told this commenter that, sorry, I won't be changing it, they got angry and presumably dropped the story entirely, because they never commented ever again. That commenter alone didn't do much, but for more popular stories, imagine twenty or thirty of this same instance happening every time the plot takes a certain turn.

That kind of stuff gets to me, and I have a thicker skin than most authors on here just due to posting stories on the internet a lot longer. Writers becoming belligerent jerks is sadly kind of understandable when there are so many very vocal commenters, and so many bullies too.

Thedude3445 Wrote:

Yeah, this person's insistence that they aren't in the wrong about giving a middling rating to a book for having a gay character is one of the larger problems that CAUSES this "writer's arrogance" situation, on this site at least. Authors are so constantly bullied and insulted by random readers that they end up becoming much more hostile in return, and that in turn again increases the comments that are constantly about correcting or arguing with the author.

I rarely get in any sort of kerfuffle with readers because I try to reply to jerks with at least double the decency they gave me. But even well-meaning readers can end up doing harm to thinner-skinned authors in the macro. One commenter on one of my stories gave typo corrections when they popped up, but continually corrected a styling formatting decision I made that was untypical but also intentional and very pervasive. The second time that I told this commenter that, sorry, I won't be changing it, they got angry and presumably dropped the story entirely, because they never commented ever again. That commenter alone didn't do much, but for more popular stories, imagine twenty or thirty of this same instance happening every time the plot takes a certain turn.

That kind of stuff gets to me, and I have a thicker skin than most authors on here just due to posting stories on the internet a lot longer. Writers becoming belligerent jerks is sadly kind of understandable when there are so many very vocal commenters, and so many bullies too.

"Kerfuffle" -- That made me laugh, IDK why. XD

This reminds me of when someone tried changing the plot of my story and stopped reading it after I said I wouldn't do it for obvious reasons. 
peoblush