Re: Free critical reviews.

Apocryphal Wrote: Kind of think that there should be a cap on how many people hop on this thread. Tends to happen a lot on no reward review giver threads. Y’all come in like hyenas and swarm the guy. 

Like, realistically, highly doubt the later members will ever get a review. And if they did, it’d be late next year or something.

I get what you mean, even though I requested a review here too. It's my understanding that no human can review so many at once. But I also, realistically believe that not everyone who requested a review expects them to rush into reviewing everything. I'm in no rush, but if I see someone offering something for free and they seem to want to give an honest critique of your work—I won't hesitate to request their services. If they offer, it's only natural that someone would take the bate—this is what we call the carrot and the stick method—plain and simple.

JosefinaFAAD-Jojo Wrote:
Apocryphal Wrote: Kind of think that there should be a cap on how many people hop on this thread. Tends to happen a lot on no reward review giver threads. Y’all come in like hyenas and swarm the guy. 

Like, realistically, highly doubt the later members will ever get a review. And if they did, it’d be late next year or something.

I get what you mean, even though I requested a review here too. It's my understanding that no human can review so many at once. But I also, realistically believe that not everyone who requested a review expects them to rush into reviewing everything. I'm in no rush, but if I see someone offering something for free and they seem to want to give an honest critique of your work—I won't hesitate to request their services. If they offer, it's only natural that someone would take the bate—this is what we call the carrot and the stick method—plain and simple.

Yes!

There's also the fact that many people have put their story up for review despite having way under 25K words (which was the minimum they asked for, and that they wouldn't review anything under that amount). So maybe they will be able to do a good amount of these requests. Who knows? 

peoapproval

Apocryphal Wrote: Like, realistically, highly doubt the later members will ever get a review. And if they did, it’d be late next year or something.

I will be choosing which story to read next at random, so that even those who request later have a fair chance and it isn't just whoever happened to be online right after I posted. :)

This is an very, very valuable service you're offering for free. My story is here and in my signature, so sign me up!

I'm patient, you can do it in a year or two, I don't care (the later you kill my motivation, the better XD ).

I'm not sure if the review reviews will go well. I predict that most authors will be more focused on defending their story than reviewing the review. I know that too well myself. When someone points out a plot hole, I can't restrain myself on how that isn't really a plot hole and they just missed this and that. But I guess we'll see.

Auraptor Wrote: I predict that most authors will be more focused on defending their story than reviewing the review. I know that too well myself. When someone points out a plot hole, I can't restrain myself on how that isn't really a plot hole and they just missed this and that. But I guess we'll see.

I'm sure that will happen sometimes. Even if I try to present a thread that should self-select for people who aren't unwilling to take critique, writing is a highly personal art and it's reflexive to lash back at perceived slights. But, then again, if I'm going to aim for working with writers on an eventual long-term basis, I need to know how to communicate with them, so it's all part of the learning experience.

Sovrin Wrote:
Apocryphal Wrote: Like, realistically, highly doubt the later members will ever get a review. And if they did, it’d be late next year or something.

I will be choosing which story to read next at random, so that even those who request later have a fair chance and it isn't just whoever happened to be online right after I posted. :)

Okay that makes sense. Fair point.