Re: Looking for recommendations (self promote if you want)

If you like sci-fi and non-human points of view, I'll do a little self-promotion.

It all starts with a big bug and an ice cream cone. Right now it's a multi-front interstellar war between multiple sides.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/33726/first-contact

It's over a million words and right now around 350 chapters. I post daily, Mon-Fri, with about 2,000 words a chapter.

It does have a violence, profanity warning.

I would also recommend a new story called Otherworld: The Forgotten King ( https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36693/otherworld-the-forgotten-king )
It is quite new, but in my opinion it has a lot of potential, the amount of 'screens' used are very little (so far), and the MC takes logical actions. Down-side of the story however is that it is new, and only has 13 chapters so far. 

The genre's of the story so far would be in my opinion, survival, action, psychological, and a bit of gamelit.

P.S it isn't my story! :D

Days of Blood and Roses: A Magical Girl Thriller

Promises are meant to be kept, but a promise to save a beloved sister leads a group of high school magical girls into a dream of many literary landscapes. Out of this dream of Carroll’s wonderlands and Poe’s nightmares comes a monster that threatens to invade the waking world. Their promise forms the opening act of a play they can’t stop, so to prevent this monster’s debut into their world, they must play their parts to the end at all hazards to their lives. If you love quirky magical girls, bloodthirsty femme fatales, fight scenes, love scenes, twisty plot lines, fantastic settings, the possibility of dreams, and the uncertainty of nightmares, this story is for you.

Hi!

Mine is a thriller with subtle supernatural elements and a dark romance. It has a strong character, it's written in first person, and the plot develops slowly (although initial chapters seem to go very fast). Martial arts, Japan, some Japanese folklore, stuff like that it's all in there....well it's best you take a look at it by yourself and see if it's sth you might enjoy reading..:)

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36148/diaries-of-a-fighter

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I've finished catching up to `He Who Fights With Monsters` and pretty much fell in love with it.. Much as I have with Delve, DCC, & Azarinth healer.

I've edited the initial post heavily to be more concise/easier to read.

I'm going to give `The Primal Hunter` a go as my next adventure... After I give it a try I was thinking about trying `Requiem`! Just let me know if you have any other suggestions.. I'm excited that this thread got so many responses! My hunger for stories will be satiated for a while I think.. haha!

I guess i'll be shameless. I really need to sit down and write a better copy-paste promotion thing but here it is -

An 'Ordinary' Adventure.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/30266/an-ordinary-adventure

Genres - Action, Adventure, fantasy and comedy

- contains Gore and Profanity.

A series of unfortunate events lead to the self-proclaimed ordinary guy, Knight Yuudai, to be imprisoned in another world. He, and a young girl he was imprisoned with, must escape together.
They will travel across the demon-infested Dragon Lands to reach the exiled races, who were born from the Elder Dragon. Along the way he must fight the parasites that are the demons.
His journey will make him bear witness to the horrors and wonders this world has to offer, while desperately searching for the last bit of familiarity that resides at the floating world tree.

- Light novel format with each chapter consisting of a multitude of 1k-3k parts. Chapters as a whole are around 20k.
- Isekai where the protagonist isn't op for once! Actually far from it...
- Cute lolis for all those who love 'em, but don't worry, it will still include your typical big-chested women.
- A tale that starts off despairingly and evolves along with the mc into a hopeful adventure!
- Fun magic and combat! Flexible power but weak protag
- a few brothels along the way ;) 
- A new world filled with vast lore for the protagonist to discover on his journey! And hopefully, some side stories taking place in the past!
- Oh, I said hopeful... yes and no. Definitely becomes hopeful but as the abyss encroaches on the DragonLand continent, something similar crawls its way into our protagonist.
- If you like Satella encroaching on Subaru's life in Re zero, this will include something similar. Hehe

I really hope you guys will give it a read!

I third Requiem
And I also put forth Six Chances.
It has six MCs who are astoundingly well-developed, like they feel like real people. There’s a bunch of psychological stuff going on, since the six MCs are suddenly psychically linked to each other and are forced to experience each other’s feelings/memories/etc. The side characters also exist independently outside of the MCs. It looks like there’s a mini-plot for each part that contributes to a larger overarching plot according to the author. Annddd so far it’s 1k+ pages along. And good world building. 
And there’s Graven
Which is completed. It also has complex characters and internal psychological struggles. Good world building. Realistic power-scaling. 

Hey-yo, hi-yo, see that you're looking for recommendations for stuff to read and said that I can self-promote, so here you go.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroadcdn.com%2Fcovers-full...1601803982

Source Proxy - Act 1: The Holy Lands of the old and future Kings

Description: Proxy is a battle-loving, but well-meaning delinquent. In contrast, his best friend Richard is studious and opposed to violence.

One night, while attending a concert together, chaos erupts. In the middle of the performance, the black Grimoire in their possession rips open a portal to another world and drags them inside.

Stranded in a foreign place, they must adapt to survive. Powerful foes lurk around every corner and only together can they persevere. On the planet called Holy Lands, their fate hangs in the balance.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy this, and if it isn't too much of a bother: can you leave your thoughts on it afterward?

If i could so shamelessly self-promote. My story seems to be along the lines of what you're looking for!

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/33114/the-master-of-names

Synopsis: The modern world of magic has moved on. Magic of old no longer allowed in the new age. Deemed too barbaric for the contemporary world, magic skills and formulae have taken the country of Idraver by storm and with their arrival, heralding in a new age of magic.
Decades later, a young man named Keldon, born without the ability to use skills, begins to experience strange dreams, and with them came the return of an ancient magic. Given an impossible task, what do his newfound powers mean?
Or is their return merely a signal for the beginning of the final end. 

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroadcdn.com%2Fcovers-full...1604174884

I read your post, and man... I cannot stop myself from recommending to you my story: A Herald for Spirit.

I've started writing thanks to stories like Delve. So my story starts just as slowly; however, when it hits, it hits very hard. I can say I have been inspired by the writing in 3 of the 5 stories you support. I won't mention the names because I wouldn't say I like the remaining two.

My story is currently in chapter 36, and it's just at its bare beginnings. I'm currently publishing two chapters a day without breaks, nor will there be any during the holidays; instead, I'll publish more. I still have a long stack of chapters, so the double daily release won't end anytime soon.

I'll link you to my self-promotion thread to get more insights into it.
A Herald for Spirits - Litrpg/Adventure/Comedy/Portal/Progression/WeakToStrong

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

Orakaine Wrote: {Post heavily edited to be more concise.}

Hello! I've been lurking/reading for a while now.. Here's what I've read here on Royal Road, and what aspects in a story that I'm drawn towards. If you have any recommendations that you believe I'll enjoy feel free to share!

|What I'm reading/supporting.|

> Delve
> Azarinth Healer
> The Primal Hunter
> Dungeon Crawler Carl
> He Who Fights With Monsters

|What I enjoy in a story.|

> Strong character development.
> Compelling side characters.
> Reasonable power scales.
> Psychological struggles.
> Strong world building.
> Long running stories.
> Overarching stories.

My story, Where the Dragons Went, might be up your alley.

It’s traditional medieval. Fantasy with several creative twists, and has everything you’re looking for. I’ve been writing, editing, rewriting, and getting the first two books for the past year and they are in top quality, while now I work on Book 3. I’ve already started posting it and gotten a handful of good reviews.

It’s about a young witch who believes she is the chosen one and so she joins a guild of heroes to learn how to awaken her powers and save the world. Sounds generic, right?

I can promise you it’s far from it, in my honest opinion.

IHOP’s you’re willing to give it a try. The first 4 chapters are up now.

Well.. I just finished `Mother Of Learning` and holy crap that was a journey. I loved it... And kind of glad I hadn't started reading it before it finished (like the crazy people who started in 2011).. I'm not sure if I could handle some of those cliff hangers! hahaha

I'm now going to start on `The Humble Life of a Skill Trainer`.. I have many on my `interested` list.. Ultimately choosing this one because the description makes it seem more slice-of-life-less-action-packed-than-all-the-others.. And that's what I'm currently in the mood for I guess, hehe.