Re: Hexes Vs. Curses. And Limitations in modern apocalyptic setting.

In a low magic world of Witch and Wizards, how would you differentiate between a hex and a curse? I was thinking of hexes being temporary afflictions while Curses being a permanent one. 
As for limitations: 
1. Extremely complex teleportation magic so no individual teleportation. 
2. Extremely costly mind magic. 
3. No Soul magic. 

Rules of magic:
1. Cost increases by complexity.
2. Cost increases exponentially the deeper one explores oneself.
3. Not bound by the law of equivalent exchange.

The above setting is not for the current project.

just_patches Wrote:
Ankur_93 Wrote: Is the Focus needed to cast Hexes? Or would it become a spell?

Not sure what you mean by focus, but the way I see it, Hexes are just a off shoot of spells 

Basically all hexes are spells but not all spells are hexes

By Focus, I meant something like a wand or a staff. What is the difference between a hex and a spell?
I apologise for the questions. While these terms are not new to me, I do not understand their meaning culturally. 

A curse is something that is, or could be, a major plot point.  A hex is something that is pretty much done by the time you know it has happened.

In general, in a narrative, the worst part of a curse often isn't the curse itself, it's living with the curse hanging over your head.  Often curses in narrative settings are self-fulfilling prophecies.  It's a sword hanging over your head, ready to come down at any time.  They often have rules that can be exploited - if you're cursed to die in a catacomb, you can live dangerously outside of catacombs.  Actually exploiting said rules sometimes results in unexpected interpretations coming into play, however.  Even 'permanent' curses are more like a recurring issue whose structure is one of impending problems, such as being a werewolf.  If it is a permanent affliction, the basic role of the curse is reversed; instead of a bad thing being on the horizon, a good thing is on the horizon, the breaking of the curse.  Turning the frog back into a prince, waking the princess, restoring the kingdom.  Curses, in general, tend to be fundamentally about what is going to happen, rather than what is happening right now.

If a curse is a sword hanging over your head, a hex is an arrow coming at your knee.  By the time you know that it is coming, it's probably already hit; you don't have much time to dwell on what's coming.  There aren't going to be any opportunities to exploit them.  They're more like bad luck, or maybe even a short run of bad luck; they'll hit you, and if you survive, you're done.  Whereas the curse might get you right when you think you've escaped.

AdirianSoan Wrote: A curse is something that is, or could be, a major plot point.  A hex is something that is pretty much done by the time you know it has happened.

In general, in a narrative, the worst part of a curse often isn't the curse itself, it's living with the curse hanging over your head.  Often curses in narrative settings are self-fulfilling prophecies.  It's a sword hanging over your head, ready to come down at any time.  They often have rules that can be exploited - if you're cursed to die in a catacomb, you can live dangerously outside of catacombs.  Actually exploiting said rules sometimes results in unexpected interpretations coming into play, however.  Even 'permanent' curses are more like a recurring issue whose structure is one of impending problems, such as being a werewolf.  If it is a permanent affliction, the basic role of the curse is reversed; instead of a bad thing being on the horizon, a good thing is on the horizon, the breaking of the curse.  Turning the frog back into a prince, waking the princess, restoring the kingdom.  Curses, in general, tend to be fundamentally about what is going to happen, rather than what is happening right now.

If a curse is a sword hanging over your head, a hex is an arrow coming at your knee.  By the time you know that it is coming, it's probably already hit; you don't have much time to dwell on what's coming.  There aren't going to be any opportunities to exploit them.  They're more like bad luck, or maybe even a short run of bad luck; they'll hit you, and if you survive, you're done.  Whereas the curse might get you right when you think you've escaped.

This was incredibly helpful. Thank you. 

Hexes are more... physical, with immediate effect, and usually aimed towards a few targets at most, like turning someone into a frog. Kinda like spells, but more malevolent in nature. Curses have a less immediate, or physical feel to them. They are kinda ethereal, with the target not being as limited. You can curse a person, you can curse a population, you can curse a planet. Despite being the complete opposite, they are more similar to blessings than hexes...

Might be instructive to actually read some examples of magical fantasy involving witches, etc. then.  Shrug.  Personally, I don't attempt to write novels about stuff I have no clue of.  All I can suggest is that originality hallmarks much of what drives a successful fantasy novel .  You could always opt to bring the unique perspectives of your own culture and background to it.  Something scattered and mixed my original post somehow. Hope this makes more sense.