Re: My solution to shapeshifters and talking animals, any thoughts?

I mentioned the idea of halfbreeds before, but have decided on something different, curious any thoughts on it.

The idea I've had is that an accident or mixup somehow happens before the shapeshifter and the intelligent animals are born.  That for whatever reason, shapeshifters are humans that ended up with a animal soul in them, and the intelligent animals are the animal the soul was meant to go into receiving instead the human.  Shapeshifters are created by the animal trying to bring the body closer to the soul, and vice versa for the intelligent animal.  The human gains the ability to turn into the various animals that the animal soul had been before, and was meant to become.

Any thoughts?

Ankur_93 Wrote: Two questions:
1. Will the shapeshifter will be locked to the single of the soul within?
2. If souls are responsible for intelligence, how do humans with animal souls gain intelligence?

1.  No I figured that the shifter would gain previous forms the animal soul had had through reincarnation.  And the shifter and animal souls awaken during the 2nd reincarnation post body.  So a human and a wolf get mixed up, the human would get wolf, plus deer, dolphin, raccoon whatever the soul had been previous, and and when the wolf dies it and say becomes a penguin, the new shapeshifter gains the ability to become the penguin and awakens, plus other animals.

2.  It's not the soul that gives intelligence, it's more the soul was meant for a human body, so it tries to make the body more human, in this case intelligent.  Same with the shifter, The soul tries to make the body closer to an animal, giving it the ability to change.  

It's a little weird, but it was a idea I had.

Idk but the explanations do not seem as particularly strong reasoning. Souls are souls, right? What differentiates the two? On what basis are they differentiated? What is the purpose of differentiation? If the human soul tries to make the animal more humane and intelligent, then why does the animal soul not try to make its body more beastly and instinctual? 

P.S. It might be the case that my understanding of soul is just different from yours. So my questions may not matter. 

Ankur_93 Wrote: Idk but the explanations do not seem as particularly strong reasoning. Souls are souls, right? What differentiates the two? On what basis are they differentiated? What is the purpose of differentiation? If the human soul tries to make the animal more humane and intelligent, then why does the animal soul not try to make its body more beastly and instinctual? 

P.S. It might be the case that my understanding of soul is just different from yours. So my questions may not matter.

Thanks :>  Well I guess the main question is, is reincarnation universal, or are humans and animals seperate in reincarnations.  OR it's tied to the humans life span.  That as long as the animal soul is in the human's body both will feel in the wrong place hence the changes.  Each soul trying to make their body more like what they should be in at that moment.

I have a completely different solution on shapeshifters in my story. It's a scientific one so maybe you can find some pointers there that you would like to implement into your story!

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/34554/children-of-nemeah

It takes a lot of pre-information to come to that point but I am willing to disclose all of the mysteries via PM if you are interested.

Best regards,
D.C.Veiling

I suppose the question I'd be wondering about here is this: are animal souls that different from human souls?

After all, humans are just a form of an advanced animal (other animals use tools, have communities, protect young + elderly, etc., we're not really set apart that much). If the point is intelligence, I would think that, say, an elephant is just as different from a ladybug in terms of intelligence as the human is from the elephant.

Or is it that each species only has one type of soul? i.e. elephant souls only go in elephants, ladybug souls only go in ladybugs, and human souls only go in humans. However, if that's the case, that restricts shapeshifters to only one type of animal and brings up a whole other host of questions.

And some other questions that should probably be asked.

Why can't the intelligent animals shapeshift into humans? Why do the animal souls go up in intelligence, so the soul goes closer to the body because the human body is smarter, but they can still shapeshift, bringing the body closer to the soul? For that matter, how do the animal/human souls manage to remember their past incarnations? Is it actual memory, or is it closer to muscle memory than retention? If it's not actual memories, how do human souls still manage to retain the knowledge of human language? If it is actual memories, why does this mix-up allow them to retain their actual memories? And how do the animal souls not freak out the people around them because your kid just tried to tear off your arm with their teeth or whatever?

It's a very interesting concept, IMO, but it needs a bit more development.

Orchidaceae Wrote: I suppose the question I'd be wondering about here is this: are animal souls that different from human souls?

After all, humans are just a form of an advanced animal (other animals use tools, have communities, protect young + elderly, etc., we're not really set apart that much). If the point is intelligence, I would think that, say, an elephant is just as different from a ladybug in terms of intelligence as the human is from the elephant.

Or is it that each species only has one type of soul? i.e. elephant souls only go in elephants, ladybug souls only go in ladybugs, and human souls only go in humans. However, if that's the case, that restricts shapeshifters to only one type of animal and brings up a whole other host of questions.

And some other questions that should probably be asked.

Why can't the intelligent animals shapeshift into humans? Why do the animal souls go up in intelligence, so the soul goes closer to the body because the human body is smarter, but they can still shapeshift, bringing the body closer to the soul? For that matter, how do the animal/human souls manage to remember their past incarnations? Is it actual memory, or is it closer to muscle memory than retention? If it's not actual memories, how do human souls still manage to retain the knowledge of human language? If it is actual memories, why does this mix-up allow them to retain their actual memories? And how do the animal souls not freak out the people around them because your kid just tried to tear off your arm with their teeth or whatever?

It's a very interesting concept, IMO, but it needs a bit more development.

Well one thought I've had is that the awakenings don't happen till later on, for the human it's near puberty, with the animal maybe similar thing.  For my main char as he starts to awaken to shapeshifting he's had to deal with some of the feelings, but also the desire to shapeshift.  He's also intelligent so can cope with some of it.  Part of what I'm trying to explore.