Re: Question regarding Rewrites

Hey guys! So, I have been working on book one of my trilogy for a while now and it is coming to an end. That being said, I am preparing a rewrite because there was a lot I wanted to change and improve upon.

It will be its own fiction because a lot of the plotline will be shifted and altered, but the question is this:

I have 2 other sequels planned to follow this one. If you have had a similar experience, did you post any sequels to the original fiction or to the rewrite? I may end up unpublishing the original fiction, however, I am not 100% sure what to do. I'm looking for your insight and expertise, authors :) 

And if you're a reader and have an opinion, feel free to tell me what you think is best as far as the reading experience goes. 

Basically, if you have rewritten a story as a separate fiction--or at all--please let me know what your process was!

I was in a similar situation once but I had not completed my book. It was half the book that had been done however the plot was going in a direction of insanity and madness. So I decided to rewrite and drop the old book. It is available for those willing to give it a try but my current work is much better [though there is always room for improvement]. My opinion for dropping was that I am rewriting because I did not like what I had written. Hence continuing it made no sense to me. 

As you seem to already have your an outline for your next books, you might not want it to go to waste. In that case, you have to judge whether working on something that you consider sub-par would be worth the time and energy investment that you'd have to do. 

Yep, I was in the exact same situation in 2016. I had just finished Book 1 in my series and I had plans to write Books 2 and 3, but Book 1 needed to be rewritten first.

In my case, I did end up replacing the original fiction with the rewrite. As my first story, it had some major problems with plot, continuity, character, and worldbuilding, and I didn’t think it was capable of supporting two sequels. Even the original Book 1 ending didn’t match up with my ideas for Book 2, and I didn’t want to waste a bunch of effort making it fit together just so I could rewrite everything in the future.

Overall, I don’t regret doing it that way. I learned a lot during my Book 1 rewrite, and it gave my subconscious some extra time to think about Books 2 and 3.

However, I did lose a large portion of readers when I did this. Some readers were willing to stick around for the rewrite (or wait for the sequels) but many readers simply moved on and I never heard from them again. That’s something to be aware of, especially if you have beta readers, Patrons, etc.

Ankur_93 Wrote: I was in a similar situation once but I had not completed my book. It was half the book that had been done however the plot was going in a direction of insanity and madness. So I decided to rewrite and drop the old book. It is available for those willing to give it a try but my current work is much better [though there is always room for improvement]. My opinion for dropping was that I am rewriting because I did not like what I had written. Hence continuing it made no sense to me. 

As you seem to already have your an outline for your next books, you might not want it to go to waste. In that case, you have to judge whether working on something that you consider sub-par would be worth the time and energy investment that you'd have to do.

Fortunately for my readers, I have an ending planned out and it should transfer with this rewrite pretty easily. That being said, it's also the foundation of this story that I wanted to change. I've been told, and agree with this sentiment, that my later chapters feel more polished and the pacing is farrrr better. 

Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it  peolove

The Wrote: This is really a question you have to answer for yourself. What do you mean by rewrite? Did you just finish the first draft? How much has to change? Will those changes affect the readers enjoyment or interpretation of the second book?

Hey! Thanks for the inquiries. I am finishing up the last 2 or 3 chapters of my first draft privately before posting them, and a lot will change with the foundation of the story and how characters are introduced. They will make the interpretation of the second book grounded in logic instead of a feeling of: "Oh, cool, this person we met 5 minutes ago is going on an adventure with us now. Sick." XD

I Wrote: for me, I might rewrite if it turns out to be worthwhile, but after I finish my fiction, I would love to move onto other ideas. I want to write them too, after all, but can't do more than one at once...

I agree with that feeling of wanting to just move on to the next thing. Luckily, I am the type of writer that can work on a few projects at once (I'm finishing Book 1, writing a sci-fi, outlining book 2, and writing a LITRPG on the side). 

Thank you for your insight on what you do :) 

Cinn Wrote: For an altered plot I would suggest the sequels make most sense to follow on from the new one.

This is just my opinion, I understand wanting to keep the original, but for me it comes down to a question of which version is considered canon? Then link further installments to that one.
That's what I was leaning towards, it ended up making the most sense. I appreciate your response

That's what I was leaning towards, writing from the second draft onward to the following sequels. It ended up making the most sense. I appreciate your response  peolove

David Wrote: Yep, I was in the exact same situation in 2016. I had just finished Book 1 in my series and I had plans to write Books 2 and 3, but Book 1 needed to be rewritten first.

In my case, I did end up replacing the original fiction with the rewrite. As my first story, it had some major problems with plot, continuity, character, and worldbuilding, and I didn’t think it was capable of supporting two sequels. Even the original Book 1 ending didn’t match up with my ideas for Book 2, and I didn’t want to waste a bunch of effort making it fit together just so I could rewrite everything in the future.

Overall, I don’t regret doing it that way. I learned a lot during my Book 1 rewrite, and it gave my subconscious some extra time to think about Books 2 and 3.

However, I did lose a large portion of readers when I did this. Some readers were willing to stick around for the rewrite (or wait for the sequels) but many readers simply moved on and I never heard from them again. That’s something to be aware of, especially if you have beta readers, Patrons, etc.

Thanks for the response! I think this is what's happening with my book 1, and so far the rewrite feels a lot more fleshed out and logical in a way. The characters, may they be main characters or side ones, feel like they are rooted deeper in the story instead of being introduced on what seems like a whim. 

Knowing your experience has helped me out! Also, quick side note: I started reading the first book to your series on a different platform and love it so far. I forgot you were also on royalroad and look forward to continuing it!