Re: Was royalroad just updated?

WolfLordMaster Wrote: Just saw the level show not the base of every tier but the whole wings and everything as well as a few other features, did royalroad update? Didn't see anything on the front page
peoconfused

Yes, there was an update released today! We have some more stuff coming in about two weeks; we will have a blog post summarising everything then.

ArDeeBurger Wrote:
kanadaj Wrote: There was an update today with some new changes

Hey kanadaj. Is there any chance that we could see more than 150 words when writing a story in Edit?
A typical page while reading or using a word processor has triple that. 

It's kind of hard to know what you're doing when you can see only a couple paragraphs at one time. 🙂

You can drag the bottom right corner of the editor to expand it. 

kanadaj Wrote: You can drag the bottom right corner of the editor to expand it.

Yes.  Thank you. What I am saying, though, is the Edit feature on Royal Road displays, at most, 17 lines of text, showing about 340 words. This is by using 150% magnification, because then the large white space on the left hand side of the screen will disappear, thus filling the screen with only text.

About 270 words show when using Edit at standard magnification, because of the large white space on the left hand side.

The same font on MS Word displays 36 lines of text on the screen at any given time, showing about 580 words, using standard one-inch borders on the page. While reading the same passage on Royal Road, which also displays 36 lines of text, 800 words are shown, because a page on Royal Road is bigger than a page on MS Word.

The 800 words Royal Road displays while in Read Mode is about triple the 270 words it displays while in Edit Mode. Plus, if there were no large white space on the left hand side of the screen at standard magnification while in Edit Mode, about 500 words could then be displayed.

🙂

I have since discovered that the 150% magnification trick only works in the Edit Mode of a Chapter that has already been published.

While in Edit Mode for a Draft, a different trick applies -- setting the magnification at 90% shows 17 lines of text per screen, yielding about 400 words when Editing a Draft on a PC. Of course, while in Read mode at standard magnification, Royal Road still shows double that -- 36 lines of text and 800 words.

Strangely, when using a Chromebook tablet set at 90% magnification, I can get 23 lines of text to show, yielding 500 words.  But the text is eenie-beenie-teenie-tiny at that magnification. 🙂

ArDeeBurger Wrote:

I have since discovered that the 150% magnification trick only works in the Edit Mode of a Chapter that has already been published.

While in Edit Mode for a Draft, a different trick applies -- setting the magnification at 90% shows 17 lines of text per screen, yielding about 400 words when Editing a Draft on a PC. Of course, while in Read mode at standard magnification, Royal Road still shows double that -- 36 lines of text and 800 words.

Strangely, when using a Chromebook tablet set at 90% magnification, I can get 23 lines of text to show, yielding 500 words.  But the text is eenie-beenie-teenie-tiny at that magnification. 🙂

I've added a button to the nav menu's bottom on the chapter editor page to toggle fluid and fixed width editor.

I dislike the new dashboard. It hid some information that used to be readily available and is now showing a bunch of information I don't give a damn about. Specifically, the actual numerical rating of each fiction is no longer visible on the dashboard, nor is the per-fiction follower and favorite count. In exchange, it added a bunch of meaningless data (total word count across all fictions, total unique followers, and total reviews received). I dunno, maybe I'm just weird, but none of the aggregate data means anything to me. I care about those on an individual story basis but they don't really tell me anything useful when totaled. It's a big step backward in functionality from my perspective.