Re: Two articles on travel times pre modern transportation

Hi,

I found these two articles on travel time pre cars/trains/airplanes and thought they might be of use since many people here write medieval-ish settings.
Anyways, the articles were interesting in and of themselves.

https://www.enworld.org/threads/travel-times-in-fantasy-pre-industrial-society-by-foot-horse-boat-etc.318719/

https://indiesunlimited.com/2020/03/24/getting-it-right-time-and-distance-on-foot-and-horse/

Hope you get some use/enjoyment out of these!

This is good information.  Thanks for posting these! ðŸ˜ƒ

One thing that gets my goat in stories or in movies is how people are shown navigating terrain. A horse can only gallop for about fifteen minutes before it needs an hour rest. And whether on foot or on horse, travel time is about the same -- 25 miles per day. It's just that riding horseback is easier, and you can carry a bit more stuff. 

Horses need to spend almost half the day just eating, and they also sleep, so you can only ride for about six hours. Plus, they need grass or hay, or grain sometimes, if you have some. Depicting a horse running through the desert or in snow is unrealistic, because there's nothing there for them to eat. 

Plus a horse needs to drink about ten gallons of water a day. 

Riding a horse through the forest is also hard to do -- you'd probably get there faster (and safer!) if you walked -- and the horse would too. Riding horse at speed through the woods is a surefire way to have it break a leg, or get yourself concussed by a low-hanging branch. And forget about even so much as walking through a pine forest. The branches are thick and spiky, and hang low to the ground, so passage is impossible. 

One thing further, if I may, is people running through a cornfield. That just drives me nuts. The roots grow above ground, so tripping is inevitable, as you can't see your feet. Plus the leaves have sharp edges, and are as rough as a Brillo pad, so they'd cut you to ribbons. Even walking carefully, in about fifteen minutes your face and hands would hurt so much that you'd probably think letting that ax-murderer catch you wouldn't be so bad after all. ðŸĪŠ

ArDeeBurger Wrote: One thing that gets my goat in stories or in movies is how people are shown navigating terrain. A horse can only gallop for about fifteen minutes before it needs an hour rest. And whether on foot or on horse, travel time is about the same -- 25 miles per day. It's just that riding horseback is easier, and you can carry a bit more stuff.

You know, it's interesting just how much shows and movies have skewed our perception of how people in the past travelled.

In Yuan and Ming Dynasty China, even for extremely urgent messages horses were not used. They had outposts every three miles, and had runners with bells attached to a belt. The runner at the next outpost would hear the bells and get ready to run. It was far faster and more efficient than using a horse, since they could run have someone running the message 24/7. And there were many regulations that determined how far you could legally travel on a horse in a day

Hopefully nobody makes a thread about armor and how useless swords actually were against it, otherwise I'd have far more to rant about

Senator Wrote: In Yuan and Ming Dynasty China, even for extremely urgent messages horses were not used. They had outposts every three miles, and had runners with bells attached to a belt. The runner at the next outpost would hear the bells and get ready to run. It was far faster and more efficient than using a horse, since they could run have someone running the message 24/7. And there were many regulations that determined how far you could legally travel on a horse in a day

Wow.  That is really cool info.  Thanks!

Oskatat Wrote: This may be part 'myth', but I heard somewhere that there are only a few animals in the world that can beat a human at long distance traveling on land, one of them being the Alaskan husky.

Yes. I have heard this too, about huskies.  Like, they can go for a hundred miles or more, and at a fast pace.  That's why they're used as sled dogs.

Oskatat Wrote: This may be part 'myth', but I heard somewhere that there are only a few animals in the world that can beat a human at long distance traveling on land, one of them being the Alaskan husky. Humans are excellent long-distance runners and some ancient hunting tactics were literally about running an animal to exhaustion before going in for the kill

Besides our mind and opposable thumbs, our endurance is one of the reasons humans [collectively] were able to survive.

Senator Wrote: In Yuan and Ming Dynasty China, even for extremely urgent messages horses were not used. They had outposts every three miles, and had runners with bells attached to a belt. The runner at the next outpost would hear the bells and get ready to run. It was far faster and more efficient than using a horse, since they could run have someone running the message 24/7. And there were many regulations that determined how far you could legally travel on a horse in a day

That's really interesting... Thanks for sharing!
Ankur_93 Wrote: Besides our mind and opposable thumbs, our endurance is one of the reasons humans [collectively] were able to survive.

Didn't know that opposable thumbs are that important. Guess you learn new things every day!

ArDeeBurger Wrote: One thing that gets my goat in stories or in movies is how people are shown navigating terrain. A horse can only gallop for about fifteen minutes before it needs an hour rest. And whether on foot or on horse, travel time is about the same -- 25 miles per day. It's just that riding horseback is easier, and you can carry a bit more stuff.

And galloping is hard on the body too because you have to light seat (hover) above the saddle to help the horse move. This is a killer on the legs after only a minute of galloping because not only are you essentially squatting the whole time, but your legs also have to act as shock absorbers/ suspension. Trotting is probably the easiest 'fast' gait for both horse and (experienced) rider to sustain for an extended period of time providing the rider isn't posting/ doing rising trot. Think of trotting as the horse's version of a human's jog.

JenifryConan Wrote: Trotting is probably the easiest 'fast' gait for both horse and (experienced) rider to sustain for an extended period of time providing the rider isn't posting/ doing rising trot. Think of trotting as the horse's version of a human's jog.

If you're writing medieval stories, you could include the ambling gait. Most horse breeds of today's age can't use it anymore, but it was a gait they were bred and trained for especially because it was fairly swift and comfortable for the rider.