Re: Shapeshifter half breeds.

Not sure if the right post, moderators can move if not, just something on my mind.

As part of my story, I was planning on introducing a halfbreed char, along with the idea of them.   The idea is that, if a shapeshifter mates with an animal while they are in animal form, they produce a halfbreed.  They aren't able to shapeshift like their parent, but gain the human intelligence, and ability to communicate with other halfbreeds and shapeshifters with telepathy.  My concern is, would that be something that would bother people, someone who can turn into an eagle, producing eagle offspring.  Should I go with it or avoid it?  I know some stories have similar things, Whitewolf I believe had that with the werewolves, as you can't mate with another werewolf, as doing so creates abominations.  What do people think?

Oskatat Wrote: don't have (graphic) descriptions of a character mating in animal form, that would probably freak people out. Presenting it as 'somthing that happens' shouldn't be too bad

oh yeah, I wasn't planning on any in screen sex, most that might happen is if my char runs into an animal in heat while he is that animal might create for some humour.   The plan with the character was to just have it mentioned, as part of an explanation for why this raven *as it most likely will be*  can 'speak' and was smart and such :>   More a world development thing.  I just thought I would ask others opinions before mentioning it, he gets hinted at in the next chapter, but wouldn't be for a few more till he's full introduced and explains what he is.

It may tick off some people as it carries certain implications. The mere thought of something with the intelligence of a human having intercourse with an animal is unsettling. One has to understand that sex is often viewed as a pleasant thing for humans, and if it is unpleasant, it is frowned upon. While in the animal kingdom, what we as humans would describe as rape is pretty much commonplace. So do consider the morality of an intelligent shapeshifter banging an animal. Also, do consider that your character will have to be pretty fucked up in the head from a human-standpoint to turn into an eagle, do all of the parring-things eagles do, bang another eagle, and then either bail (which may result in the newborns dying) or staying around playing couple with another eagle.

It is also entirely possible that no one thinks that hard about it. But you never know.

Zogarth Wrote: It may tick off some people as it carries certain implications. The mere thought of something with the intelligence of a human having intercourse with an animal is unsettling. One has to understand that sex is often viewed as a pleasant thing for humans, and if it is unpleasant, it is frowned upon. While in the animal kingdom, what we as humans would describe as rape is pretty much commonplace. So do consider the morality of an intelligent shapeshifter banging an animal. Also, do consider that your character will have to be pretty fucked up in the head from a human-standpoint to turn into an eagle, do all of the parring-things eagles do, bang another eagle, and then either bail (which may result in the newborns dying) or staying around playing couple with another eagle.

It is also entirely possible that no one thinks that hard about it. But you never know.

yeah heh, these are things I have thought about over the years when this story came to me heh.  It's more the back story of the other character that is in the story then main char himself.  I could see it happening as a final leaving of humanity, that most shifters eventually decide on a form and then live out the rest of their lives as that animal and never return to being human.

wolfwing1 Wrote:
Zogarth Wrote: It may tick off some people as it carries certain implications. The mere thought of something with the intelligence of a human having intercourse with an animal is unsettling. One has to understand that sex is often viewed as a pleasant thing for humans, and if it is unpleasant, it is frowned upon. While in the animal kingdom, what we as humans would describe as rape is pretty much commonplace. So do consider the morality of an intelligent shapeshifter banging an animal. Also, do consider that your character will have to be pretty fucked up in the head from a human-standpoint to turn into an eagle, do all of the parring-things eagles do, bang another eagle, and then either bail (which may result in the newborns dying) or staying around playing couple with another eagle.

yeah heh, these are things I have thought about over the years when this story came to me heh.  It's more the back story of the other character that is in the story then main char himself.  I could see it happening as a final leaving of humanity, that most shifters eventually decide on a form and then live out the rest of their lives as that animal and never return to being human.

You could make it work where if they stay in animal form too long at a time their intelligence slowly begins regress back to that of said animal. As I assume some magic exists, maybe they as a race has developed a technique to turn a shapeshifter that transformed into an animal back again. Or maybe some kind of seal or rune that will make them revert automatically after a number of years.

You can most certainly make it work.

Zogarth Wrote:
wolfwing1 Wrote:

You could make it work where if they stay in animal form too long at a time their intelligence slowly begins regress back to that of said animal. As I assume some magic exists, maybe they as a race has developed a technique to turn a shapeshifter that transformed into an animal back again. Or maybe some kind of seal or rune that will make them revert automatically after a number of years.

You can most certainly make it work.

That might work, may for now keep it just suggested that it's a rumour how it happens, already thought about it not being a guarantee, as your don't always get all the genes from each parent, maybe only like one in a hundred animals gain the human intelligence, and in many cases, it may skip a generation, so the raven doesn't fully know, just what he thought, and figure it out deeper later, or use it as a test and change if it bothers too many people.

This is a story idea that's been in my head for about 25 years now :>   I had a dream years and years ago that this story is loosely based upon, and will be the basis for the final transformation.   So as I thought about it and the dream, I've built up a story I finally want to make.

Oskatat Wrote: it could also be an option that those intelligent animals simply exist as random mutations of some sort. It's just human folklore that says they're sired by shapeshifters

could work, I think i will leave it open ended, say that's what he heard, but neither of his parents were intelligent animals, and later find out the truth or such, part of the goal of the story will be to understand why the main char can shapeshift and such.

Thanks for all the suggestions and such guys :>