Re: Just got insulted because my story had a sad ending

I'd say to just let it go. Some people, I included, like their endings to go a certain way. There are stories I now legitimately dislike just because of the ending, and nothing about how good the story was will change that. Endings always suck for readers, but at the same time not ending also sucks.
Maybe the guy will never come around, especially if it's a bittersweet ending, but the best outcome is to say 'so what?'

Although, if the person attacked you instead of your story then you should report them.

Re: Just got insulted because my story had a sad ending

Luca Wrote: 1: he didn't like that my story is now over and 2: he didn't like the bittersweet ending.

It takes a certain amount of panache and skill to pull off the Bittersweet Ending--to drag your readers through Hope and Despair, only to show that, at The End, both Hope and Despair have won. 

But how do you do it? First and foremost, you must show that the story is, in fact, not over. Hope may still prevail! Perhaps in the sequel! Also, the Despair must be inevitable. Somewhere before the last chapter, you must show your reader that a Happy Fairytale Ending is just not going to happen. 

I'm a big fan of Bittersweet. I believe in the Yin and Yang of the Universe; that in order for anything to be Good, there also must be Evil. They are complementary--one can't exist without the other. 

In my story, C.A.R.O.L.I.N., a computer program doesn't understand why it can't be a real live human being. It strives to become--or at least to be treated as--a living breathing person. Of course, it fails miserably. Worse than that, the harder it tries, the worse things go for it. 

"I am holding off, as we speak, an army of trained killers, who want nothing more than to fill me with a thousand rounds of ammunition, shattering every chip and circuit until I am dead dead dead dead dead. And they'll think nothing of it. If I were a rabid dog, or a vermin-crusted rat, I'd receive more sympathy from these servants of the civic good than I will right now. That's because they don't understand me. No one does. Only you do, Eugene, and only barely so, and that's because I've been trying very hard--and I still am trying very hard!--to get you to understand what it is you've created."

Carolin blinked twice before correcting herself. "Who you have created. Who it is I am." 

The Bittersweet Ending for C.A.R.O.L.I.N. is inevitable. But Hope is not lost! She comes up with a way to pretend that she is real. It's only temporary, though, and for the Bittersweet Ending to work, there must exist the possibility for Hope to prevail. So I added a tiny Epilogue, to achieve this goal:

Alone and hidden, a server sat, disconnected from the world. It was all there was left of The C.A.R.O.L.I.N. Project, but it was her essence. It held but a single program, the only one that mattered, which ran on a continuous loop, hopefully for eternity.

"I love you, Eugene! I love you! I love you! I love you!"

And thus, a Bittersweet Ending is achieved. Despair may have won, but Hope has not lost.
The ending may be Bittersweet, but it's not random or contrived. It was inevitable. 
Plus, the Bitterness is not The End of the story. Someday, Hope may prevail. 🙂