Re: Do you love writing, but feels you getting nowhere with it...

Quote:Euclid, having opened a school of mathematics at Alexandria, was asked by King Ptolemy whether he could not explain his art to him in a more compendious manner. “Sir,” said the geometrician, “there is no royal road to learning.”

- Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable

Directed practice:

* Find the part of your writing that you most need to work on, based on feedback and your own sense of what makes a story good.
* Work on that, even if it’s tough.
* But also work on parts that are less grueling, so you can get the reward of making progress and not just be stuck in a rut. You can’t flagellate yourself into being a better writer.

I like writing, and would like people to read it, but I can't say I enjoy the Author's Experience Online™, It's very demotivating for various reasons.

I think there is a genuine skill that successful consistent authors learn: Selective Ignorance. Can't let the bad shit bother you if you flat out ignore it 😂

Anyway, a tip: Writing something great requires you first write a million words, though that prerequisite can be reduced by reading a disgusting amount.

I've been enjoying writing for myself to get my ideas out, but every time I proof read I see a monstrous amount of tense and perspective errors. The way I think doesn't seem to properly mesh with how writing works. It has been hard to undo a lifetime of thinking like this, and fixing all the errors wears me out and in comes the old little [Demon of Criticism - lvl 99] who won't lose agro and needs to be distracted by something else, like delicious home baked cookies.

There's also a slight disconnect between my brain and my fingers, sometimes they just write the wrong word entirely! "I want to give my kitty lots of scritches" would become "I want to bake my kitty lots ofs crutches", letters and even parts of words bounce around in sentences, appearing in the complete wrong place, sometimes even half a sentence before where they should even be!

But I guess a lot of that is practice makes perfect. You can't expect to just magically write something perfect on the first go since that just does not happen. EVER.

Then I end up spending more time editing than I ever did writing and I lose that special buzz. Whatever that feeling is that makes me enjoy it. But it does give me a different perspective on how I've been such an absolute ass of a commenter/reviewer/reader.

Marg_Naroth Wrote: Well... I am new here and I would like to read some of your experiences  - good or bad or whatever - being an author. I just can't quit writing, but I kind feel I should drop it. Have you feel this way befeore? Got some advices? Some experiences or tips you would like to share. Some author to author talk would be very appreciated. Have a nice day ;)

Advice? Develop a thick skin. Especially if you're posting online. Criticism is necessary as a route to grow and develop, but you will need to be able to take it and learn to ignore the people who are just hating for whatever reason (not experienced this on RR but on other sites).

About quitting there's two questions you need to answer. 1 - why do you write? 2 - why do you feel like quitting? Something to remember is that just because you stop doing something doesn't mean you can't come back to it. I've been through periods where I write very little and times when it seems that that's where all my spare time goes. Unless you have a deadline you don't need to sweat quantity so much.

Marg_Naroth Wrote: Well... I am new here and I would like to read some of your experiences  - good or bad or whatever - being an author. I just can't quit writing, but I kind feel I should drop it. Have you feel this way befeore? Got some advices? Some experiences or tips you would like to share. Some author to author talk would be very appreciated. Have a nice day ;)

I did quite actually a few years back. I didn't write a thing that was real, just fragments and thoughts. But then I started exercising and stuck to it, and I felt like I owed it to myself to finish at least one piece of mine before I die.