Re: Free Review

Half Wrote: I think Mr. Fiction was overwhelmed and has gone AWOL.

This is why I don't usually participate in these kinds of threads, the same thing happens every time. Reviewer posts, authors descend like a flock of vultures, reviewer does maybe one or two reviews then skitters off, never to be seen again. Every single time.

Strif3 Wrote:

This is why I don't usually participate in these kinds of threads, the same thing happens every time. Reviewer posts, authors descend like a flock of vultures, reviewer does maybe one or two reviews then skitters off, never to be seen again. Every single time.

Can't blame them :-)

Strif3 Wrote:

I called it.

Strif3 Wrote:

that's not even true though... there are plenty of examples that prove the opposite actually. long-run free review threads are kind of a success here on RR in fact.

gogorer Wrote:
Strif3 Wrote:

that's not even true though... there are plenty of examples that prove the opposite actually. long-run free review threads are kind of a success here on RR in fact.

Nobody's disputing that, but... When you check Mr. Fiction's profile, he...

1. wrote 1 review
2. made his last post on 26/11/2020, 16:41

So... unless he's actively reviewing using an alias, it seems unlikely anything in this thread will lead to a massive amount of stars :-)

Nine Wrote:
gogorer Wrote:
Strif3 Wrote:

1. wrote 1 review

So... unless he's actively reviewing using an alias, it seems unlikely anything in this thread will lead to a massive amount of stars :-)

read what I responded to again. specifically; "the same thing happens everytime." thank you, goodbye.

gogorer Wrote:
Nine Wrote:
gogorer Wrote:
Strif3 Wrote:

1. wrote 1 review

read what I responded to again. specifically; "the same thing happens everytime." thank you, goodbye.

Yeah, but it is fun seeing how people do not read these kind of threads, just spam their stories... let's see who is the next one advertising his / her story in this specific thread :-)

Hi!

My story is a thriller with some subtle elements of supernatural (which come in play much later in the story) and some dark romance. It takes place in Japan. The main protagonists are adults (no teenage drama or anything like that). I just posted my 13th chapter...so far about 15,000 words. I'd love to get some feedback on it in any shape - can be a review can be just comments....Hope you find it interesting enough to read. Thank you.

Link to my story:  https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36148/diaries-of-a-fighter

I took pity on ya, seeing as Mr Fiction seems to be asleep, and gave you a review.

It occurs to me that I should also have mentioned that, if you call a story "Diaries of a..." then the expectation is going to be a journal-like account.  Your story isn't really that, so I feel like it could benefit from a different title.

precinctomega Wrote: I took pity on ya, seeing as Mr Fiction seems to be asleep, and gave you a review.

It occurs to me that I should also have mentioned that, if you call a story "Diaries of a..." then the expectation is going to be a journal-like account.  Your story isn't really that, so I feel like it could benefit from a different title.

Hi! Thank you for doing this! Yes, the title gives a certain style expectation although it was used more in the sense of following a personal recount in the first person rather than an actual diary. But I've been already thinking about it and might change it later on. I'm glad you find the story interesting and your remarks about the weaknesses of my writing are very helpful. I can say things slow down later on, and this first part is more just a a rather quick "looking back" by the MC on the events that brought him to the main point of the story.  But I know it can be done better and i will certainly try to make it better. (btw - may i ask you how many chapters you've read? it's important for me to know for which chapters this review refers to). I really appreciate you took the time and provided me with this helpful review! 

BltNanox Wrote:
precinctomega Wrote: I took pity on ya, seeing as Mr Fiction seems to be asleep, and gave you a review.

Hi! Thank you for doing this! Yes, the title gives a certain style expectation although it was used more in the sense of following a personal recount in the first person rather than an actual diary. But I've been already thinking about it and might change it later on. I'm glad you find the story interesting and your remarks about the weaknesses of my writing are very helpful. I can say things slow down later on, and this first part is more just a a rather quick "looking back" by the MC on the events that brought him to the main point of the story.  But I know it can be done better and i will certainly try to make it better. (btw - may i ask you how many chapters you've read? it's important for me to know for which chapters this review refers to). I really appreciate you took the time and provided me with this helpful review!

I read through to Chapter Nine and then leapt to the most recent chapter to see if you'd made any changes to the style or approach that might invalidate my review completely.  I didn't think there were, but you, obviously, know your work far better than me.