Re: What to do?

I haven't uploaded chapters ever since last month due to my busy school schedule. However, due to my school giving us 2-day breaks in between cycles, and our schedule being a bit looser now thanks to them not giving too many quizzes, I can start catching up. However, I'm stuck on doing either of these:

a. Create manuscripts by bulk (which I am doing as of now, I'm aiming to make around 10, and releasing the first 5 manuscripts once I start with my 6th)
b. Create chapters 1-by-1 (e.g. I make Chapter X, then I edit Chapter X, then I release said Chapter X, then work on Chapter Y)

Now, I've weighed the pros and cons of both choices.

Pros for A:
1. I don't really have to worry about being late on the chapter release schedules I've set since I can just schedule while working on a chapter that's already way ahead. (e.g. I release Chapter 1, but I'm already working on Chapter 11 since I've already made Chapters 2-10 in advance)
2. Once I finish all manuscripts, I have a little time to relax before starting on the next set.

Cons:
1. Especially as a student, despite my loose schedule, I'll have to multitask with my school projects while working on the manuscripts.
2. More time-consuming, but the effort will be worth it.

Pros for B:
1. Less time-consuming, since I can focus on a single chapter before I work on the next one
2. More time for me to focus on my school projects, no need to multitask a lot.

Cons:
1. I have to worry about my release schedules, especially since I usually release chapters very late.
2. Time is ticking, once I finish the chapter, I have to work on the next one before the release schedule.

Now, I honestly prefer A, but I would like to hear your opinions on this. I've been doing Option B way before my busy schedule, and it failed pretty miserably. 

Thanks in advance! 

I think how best to work really depends on personal factors. There are advantages and downsides to both. It's easier to have a finished manuscript and edit it in its entirety before posting, but you might also have less room to change things depending on feedback. If you say you prefer one option, and the other one didn't work for you, then you should probably just go with that one.

I prefer writing ahead personally, I've gone back and made several changes to a chapter before publishing because when I got further ahead I realised something just wasn't sitting right with me or I noticed a plot hole. It's fine to do that before publishing but post publishing it's ret-conning and may confuse the reader.

Stratothrax Wrote: I've gone back and made several changes to a chapter before publishing because when I got further ahead I realised something just wasn't sitting right with me or I noticed a plot hole.

Yeah, this was the problem I've been having when I wrote the chapters 1-by-1. I always forget details because my mind gets overwhelmed with other projects aside from my writing. Thanks for your insight!  peolove

staggen_mx Wrote:
Stratothrax Wrote: I've gone back and made several changes to a chapter before publishing because when I got further ahead I realised something just wasn't sitting right with me or I noticed a plot hole.

Yeah, this was the problem I've been having when I wrote the chapters 1-by-1. I always forget details because my mind gets overwhelmed with other projects aside from my writing. Thanks for your insight!  peolove

To avoid this, I heavily suggest making a nice Google doc you can access from anywhere. In there, write bullet points with all the things you need to keep in mind

Luca Wrote: To avoid this, I heavily suggest making a nice Google doc you can access from anywhere. In there, write bullet points with all the things you need to keep in mind

I do have an entire OneNote file all for my story, problem is that I have only listed the characters since I focused more on writing. I'll definitely try out Google Documents next time though, thanks!  peolove

staggen_mx Wrote:
Luca Wrote: To avoid this, I heavily suggest making a nice Google doc you can access from anywhere. In there, write bullet points with all the things you need to keep in mind

I do have an entire OneNote file all for my story, problem is that I have only listed the characters since I focused more on writing. I'll definitely try out Google Documents next time though, thanks!  peolove

I'm collecting reader suggestions for my Minecraft story and MAN! I would be lost without docs

Luca Wrote: I would be lost without docs

I try my best to memorize all of the major details, and I have an entire document file that has a short explanation of the beginning and end of each part of my story. I just leave it up to my imagination what happens in between the beginning and end. Most of us would be quite lost without these apps to help us (unless they have enough storage in their brain to memorize each exact detail)