Re: Just some dang ol' questions that everyone asked a million times before

Hiya, 

So, it's kind of late and I must've forgot the original purpose of this thread, but I'mma just...ask a couple of questions that have been burning on my mind and I can't bring myself to ask my writing friends.

How do you stay motivated to write?

I just find myself tuning out around halfway through writing my novel and as I did with hundreds of thousands of words before, I just drop it. So if you have any advice, I'd be happy to hear it :P

What do you make of your critiques?

So, I've done a couple of review swaps, but I'm not really sure what to make of them. They're mostly positive, with little talk about what to improve and general feedback. I'm not asking for more feedback, this isn't the place to do so anyway, I'm mostly curious with how you lot deal with reviews in general.

How do I use the algorithm to my favour?

Easy as, I know there's an algorithm abound, much like on YouTube, Wattpad and anything that has submissions on. I'm just asking for general tips and tricks, because I'm simply trying to make it out there, like anyone else, so a few indications from some veterans would be quite welcome :3

Is there a secret to incentivising user interaction?

Probably the last question on my mind before I collapse, I'm simply curious onto what really makes a user want to interact with your story. Like review, rate, comment, slap that follow or favourite button, etc. I have been online for so long, yet I don't think I've ever understood how any of it works...So, care to enlighten me on this too?

And before any of you comes and tells me that there's a million posts like this, these are questions everyone has, check some other threads, yada, yada. I did. Couldn't find many decently recent ones, and those I found were kinda...lack luster.

Thank you all in advance,

Bubbles <3

How to stay motivated:
No clue yet. I'm only just started, but I think it's important to have an end in mind. That way you have something to work towards, something you can feel yourself getting closer to as the chapter count goes up. Having a goal in mind is important for motivation.

What I make of critiques:
The reviews... I take them with a grain of salt by now unless they really piss me off, then I rant about it a bit and move on. You can ask for impressions/critiques instead of reviews too, by the way. I pay more attention to the comments I receive, especially if it's the same critique that pops up regularly.

How to game the system:
Smaller chapters get more total views for a story - 100 views on one chapter of 3000 words is 2x 100 views on two chapters of 1500 words. Mostly starts to matter once your chapter count goes up. Not to everyone's liking though and not every story does well with small chapters.

As for trending and rankings, enough info on that around.

How to get people to react:
Include uncertainty/mystery in your chapter. If people find something intriguing they will want the opinion of other people on it. Make well crafted characters, people want to share their loves and hates with others. On the path of 'mystery', include different paths the future can take - 'what do you think the MC will choose' kind of thing

Cheers

@Oskatat has answered beautifully most of the questions. So I'll concentrate on the last one.

Is there a secret to incentivizing user interaction?

Yes and no. You can urge your readers to comment, but it is always up to them. For review-swaps, the best way is to be pro-active - post in the review thread that you are exchanging, answer an exchange request another author has posted, easy.  Promotion is also important. Under "promotion" you should understand being active in the forums, in particular greeting the newcomers (ah, the tender meat that makes its first steps in the vast battlefield of Royal Road...). The rest is patience and the right type of genre. Writing an isekai or LitRPG can bring you a fast following. Writing romance (like yours truly for example) means fewer followers but the ones following you would be there true and really engaged fans. 

Quote:How do you stay motivated to write?

I just find myself tuning out around halfway through writing my novel and as I did with hundreds of thousands of words before, I just drop it. So if you have any advice, I'd be happy to hear it :P
I personally find cold turkey blocker pretty helpful, I use it to block distracting things on my pc, once distractions are blocked I find it fairly easy to find motivation. I think this is because our brains crave stimulation and if you starve it of over stimulating things like reddit, games, tv, twitch etc our brains become willing to negotiate down to less stimulating things such as writing. As for losing steam part way through I think leaving the plot plan not too detailed helps as you have to continue to be pro-actively creative through out instead of writing out by rote a plan.

BubblesWritesTrash Wrote: How do you stay motivated to write?

So, I've done a couple of review swaps, but I'm not really sure what to make of them. They're mostly positive, with little talk about what to improve and general feedback. I'm not asking for more feedback, this isn't the place to do so anyway, I'm mostly curious with how you lot deal with reviews in general.
I'm just going to answer the first two since I'm far too new to this site to have any useful knowledge on the last two.

How do you stay motivated to write?
Honestly, some days it's hard. We put all this effort into writing just for it to sometimes have very little to zero return. I like to set small goals for myself, so that I don't get bogged down by how massive the project is in total. Did I finish that chapter that has been haunting me for the last few days? Great, that's definitely worth celebrating. Did I accomplish my goal of learning that new writing technique and utilizing it well? Well, that's definitely a step toward realizing my larger goal of becoming a published author.

Just give yourself every reason to celebrate, and don't be too hard on yourself. Writing at even a decent level is very hard and exhausting, and unlike other creative professions like drawing and painting, it can be hard to readily notice your improvement.  Becoming good at writing is a large series of subtle steps, much like a novel is a stack of pages that add up over time.

The best critiques I've ever gotten have absolutely trashed my writing. The kind of critiques that send you depressed to your room for a couple weeks, and make you doubt everything you're doing with your life. When someone genuinely hates what I've written, it lets me know that something is just not working. They could just have a very particular dislike of something that other people would enjoy, but it at least gives me an idea of what I need to look at.

BubblesWritesTrash Wrote: How do I use the algorithm to my favour?

Easy as, I know there's an algorithm abound, much like on YouTube, Wattpad and anything that has submissions on. I'm just asking for general tips and tricks, because I'm simply trying to make it out there, like anyone else, so a few indications from some veterans would be quite welcome :3

Is there a secret to incentivising user interaction?

Probably the last question on my mind before I collapse, I'm simply curious onto what really makes a user want to interact with your story. Like review, rate, comment, slap that follow or favourite button, etc. I have been online for so long, yet I don't think I've ever understood how any of it works...So, care to enlighten me on this too?

Answering these two, since it looks like the others have been answered sufficiently. It's pretty common knowledge that trending is based on the percent increase in your stars, so if you want to hit trending, you'll want to make sure there's a sharp increase in your number of stars more than a month in.

As for user interaction, some authors I know use the pre and post chapter notes to great effect. Usually if it's something funny or off-topic it'll generate more conversation. Also, replying to comments seems to help. (I wouldn't know, though. I neither comment nor reply to comments)

I've a few thoughts on some of all that.

First, critiques are nice, especially if they include text corrections. Good eyes make for lighter, faster editing - which you want to do. Thank (always and every time,) your contributors. Reviews are not critiques, but if they aid readers in selecting their favorite poison, that's a good thing. This site has people who actually read a lot, and its important you attract readers who are into what you write, not ones who are not. Trust me, see critique above. A lot of comments from disgruntled and mislead readers is not going to help you figure things out.

One fairly pleasant review noted that he felt there were too many summoner stories around. I appreciate his tastes, and the comment (still posted) drove a lot of summoner readers to that work. I have to say, the book really wasn't based on an anime summoner story, so  I felt a little bad about it, but received no ill feedback As it wasn't my comment.   Most of my reviews (when I get them) come from readers, not from writers, and not from swaps, so are relatively unbiased,  A lot of mutual back-slapping isn't as useful as you might conjure, and can damage your reputation, which in the end is not good for your book, writing, or future.

Gaming the system. This is a peeve of mine and why I hate Wattpad.  If you really need to bang a loud drum here, RR sells advertising space quite reasonable. There is no need or benefit to screwing with the site save to wreck it. You can watch for people asking for book types in the writer help section above this one, that apply to you. You can pace chapter releases so as to stay positioned well on the new releases list. You can add your works list to your signature , as I have done below. You can ask for or encourage feedback in your author notes. You can work ceaselessly to improve your writing. If you want to blackmail readers in a dark alley with a mask and a revolver, you could try another site, perhaps Wattpad.

Motivation is your need to finish your story. Its your story. Work on it when you want to, is usually best. Try to build a BIC habit to make it easier.

Its the readers who supply an incentive, which is they like to read and in particular, your story. Or, they don't. I really don't think handing out coupons or something  helps you, just makes you appear desperate. Dunno if any of this helps - Its my opinion and reply though.

Otherwise, ask an encyclopedia salesman or such. I just write novels.